    Hello: Can any one of the experts out there take the time to tell me how to
    remove the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH from machine I bought at a yard sale? I
    haven't plugged it up yet so don't know the OS. It's an HP Pavilion. TIA

    Reid Decker, Apr 30, 2004

  2. If you haven't "plugged it up", how do you know it gets a BSOD?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?-Cryogenic-=A9?=, Apr 30, 2004

  3. Reid Decker

    Phil® Guest

    Want to know the future?

    Ask the all-knowing crystal ball!

    INSTRUCTIONS: It's easy.
    Just type a question in the box below
    and click "Ask!"......

    Dear Crystal Ball.....
    Can you tell me how to remove the BSOD....
    "Ask"

    Hello! Hello! Hello!.......

    Phil®, Apr 30, 2004
  4. Reid Decker

    philo Guest

    first off...if the machine gets the BSOD, you can be sure that the OS
    is windows.

    secondly...just because the previous owner told you it got the BSOD...how do
    you know without even trying it...maybe it will boot normally...
    in which case...you should try to get a refund

    and thirdly...
    to avoid the Blues screen of death...you'll never get one if you use a
    monochrome monitor!

    philo, Apr 30, 2004
  5. Reid Decker

    °Mike° Guest

    This is from somebody who gives advice? Sheesh!

    °Mike°, Apr 30, 2004
  6. Reid Decker

    boon Guest

    Just dont plug it in. That will keep the BSOD away.

    boon, Apr 30, 2004
  7. Can any one of the experts out there take the time to tell me how to
    Turn on the PC, press <F1> to access the BIOS, configure the boot
    options to boot the PC from a CD-ROM before the hard disk, insert a
    Linux installation disc into the appropriate drive, save the changes and
    exit the BIOS. When the PC reboots, the Linux installation should start
    automatically; then follow the on-screen instructions to install and
    configure the operating system.

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-info/index-en.html
    http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/
    http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/index.html

    Alexander Rogge, Apr 30, 2004
  8. He's probably seeing a BSODSim. These are various sized mylar screen
    overlays that will adhere to your screen via a bit of static electricity,
    and which simulate a BSOD. I use one, myself, for 1024x768. Once in a
    while when I have my monitor turned off, I apply it, just for old times'
    sake, when I'm feeling nostalgic about Windows.

    You can get them here: http://blinkynet.net/bsod_sims.html

    Blinky the Shark, May 1, 2004