Blue Screen Of Death/DVD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SSeaW, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. SSeaW

    SSeaW Guest

    Hi

    I have never had issues before playing DVD's on my notebook now today all of
    a sudden, I keep getting that 'blue screen'.

    This is the message I get:

    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    to your computer.

    TECH INFO:

    *** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XBFA4346A, 0XEEFF9A8C, 0X000000000)

    *** ati3d1ag.dll - Address BFA4346A base at BF9FE000, Datestamp 3e87aa9a

    It appears to be a ATI 3D driver, that much I can tell but I don't know how
    to fix the problem. This has never happened before and I have the latest
    drivers for my video card (ATI Radeon Mobility 7500).

    My computer is a Compaq Presario 1525US notebook, Windows XP, P 4 2.4, 512
    memory, 40GB harddrive, toshiba DVD drive, toshiba harddrive etc.

    Can anyone help me out here? My warranty with Compaq has expired so they
    will charge me if I call them.

    Thanks.

    SSeaW, Nov 16, 2003

  2. SSeaW

    tim Guest

    just a thought, try rolling back to the previous version and see if your
    system still crash

    tim, Nov 16, 2003

  3. SSeaW

    °Mike° Guest

    This is not going to be of much help, except to confirm
    that it seems to be a driver problem. I couldn't find
    anything specific to Compaqs, but I found this:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-43156.html

    which states:
    <quote>
    (Fix) Online Crash Analysis: ati3d1ag.dll may cause stop error message.
    <unquote>

    If this is a sudden occurrence, I suggest a system restore
    to a date prior to the problem.

    °Mike°, Nov 16, 2003
  4. SSeaW

    SSeaW Guest

    Yeah, everything was working fine yesterday, today I try to play a DVD and
    bam I get blue screen crap.

    SSeaW, Nov 16, 2003
  5. SSeaW

    °Mike° Guest

    Try a system restore.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Nov 16, 2003
  6. SSeaW

    Meat-Plow Guest

    Subject: Re: Blue Screen Of Death/DVD
    Never is. :)

    Meat-Plow, Nov 16, 2003
  7. SSeaW

    Meat-Plow Guest

    Make sure you have all the Windows updates. And stay aways from Direct X 9
    and Media Player 9.

    Meat-Plow, Nov 16, 2003
  8. SSeaW

    SSeaW Guest

    Strange, the problem only seems to be happening with ONE DVD, any others
    that I play it doesn't crash on me. The DVD that is causing the computer to
    crash is brand new, although I wont mention the name of the title, lol.

    It plays fine in my home theater dvd player and when I played it a few days
    ago with my notebook, it played fine. Now today it's causing my computer to
    crash.

    Hum...

    SSeaW, Nov 16, 2003
  9. SSeaW

    SSeaW Guest

    whats wrong with media player 9? That is what I'm using as my DVD player.
    Since I have a notebook, it's not like I need some 50 dollar DVD player that
    supports all that upgraded crap you get with 6.1 speaker setups. I dont
    have my notebook connected to external speakers so I don't need all that. I
    bought a DVD decoder from sonic for media player so it could play dvd's now
    you say don't use media player 9?

    SSeaW, Nov 16, 2003