    anyone offer a reason for this happening and how do I get rid of the blue
    lettering?

    Thanks.

    What's In A Name?, Oct 6, 2004

  2. What's In A Name?

    Ingeborg Guest

    Blue means they are compressed at filesystem level. Rightclick the file,
    choose properties, and somewhere there's an option to compress/uncompress
    the files.

    Ingeborg, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Thanks. How did the check mark get into the properties for the files to
    begin with? I certainly didn't do it, and they were always black before a
    few weeks ago. I can't figure out how it happened and nobody uses my
    computer but me.

    What's In A Name?, Oct 6, 2004
  4. What's In A Name?

    Ingeborg Guest

    Don't know. Maybe they have been compressed all the time, and a few weeks
    ago you enabled the blue coloring? You can enable/disable this somewhere, I
    thought in the folderview settings. (Cannot check it, I'm using 98 now)

    Another option is that you are low in diskspace, and XP automagically
    decides to compress some file. I don't think that XP has such a feature (it
    is much more annoying to popup balloons that you are running out of disk
    space, so that's the preferred MS way) but you'll never know until someone
    finds a security hole in it, and writes a cute new virus. Then MS will tell
    the world how to disable the feature, and your questions are answered. :)

    Ingeborg, Oct 6, 2004
  5. I think I figured out how it happened. If you run disk clean up, there is
    an option to compress old files (I assume that means files you haven't
    opened in a while), so if you check that it will compress those "old" files
    and turn them blue in the file name.

    What's In A Name?, Oct 6, 2004
  6. What's In A Name?

    Ingeborg Guest

    That must be the reason. Glad you found it, have been paranoidic for
    nothing.

    Ingeborg, Oct 6, 2004