    sweet. The problem with American and British chocolate is that it
    seems the companies are trying to mask the low quality of the
    chocolate by making it too sweet to tell whether it's really good.

    The alMIGHTY N, May 7, 2008

  2. This conversation reminds me of the relatively recent debate here in
    the United States over whether to impose restrictions on the content
    of a product that the company wants to be able to call "chocolate."

    Obviously, manufacturers like Hershey and Mars are fighting this but
    many of the smaller companies are calling for much stricter
    regulations on how much the bigger competitors can "dilute" chocolate.

    The alMIGHTY N, May 7, 2008

  3. Gander

    Chris F Guest

    yes, but as the outlay is so low, what does it matter?

    ive bought loads of HD DVDs for 5 quid and will get many, many watches
    out of them.

    i could spend £2.50 to 'rent' a download, but that £2.50 buys me,
    effectively, 24 hours ownage of the film.

    the player may break, but as theyre so cheap now, i may just by a 2nd
    one and keep it as a backup, with the added bonus of it being USB, so
    if/when i get a BR writer drive, i can hook it up and convert the film
    to a different format, retaining the quality.

    Chris F, May 7, 2008
  4. Gander

    Steve Irving Guest

    Botulism????

    More probably E Coli....

    Botulism would be more commonly found in canned food products where the
    containers had been compromised somehow.

    You can order steaks rare in the US pretty much everywhere, burgers too <grin>

    Steve Irving, May 7, 2008
  5. Gander

    Steve Irving Guest

    My father spent considerable time in and around Scarborough in the '60's, he was
    the manager of a early warning system (radar) for the Air Force, there was a
    site nearby.

    Although most of my family came to America in the 1700's, some didn't come until
    much later. We still have family in south central Scotland, although at last
    contact were told "they had no interest in conversing with anyone in
    America".....which we all thought somewhat strange and funny.

    Last time I was on British "soil" (Hong Kong in the early 1970's), the beer was
    quite good, and not served ice cold as Americans seem to prefer it. We met up
    with some soccer hooligan types, crossed over to the mainland and hung around
    with them at a local pub.....had a lot of fun. Also got the time to sit through
    a cricket match......I LOVED that.
    I'm sure they would, I'm sure English teeth are in much better shape these days
    with free healthcare. Don't know how American healthcare in this arena would
    stand up since it's provided by for profit companies and millions of people here
    can't afford it.

    Steve Irving, May 7, 2008
  6. Gander

    Steve Irving Guest

    I quite liked "I Am Legend", have seen it several times now. I prefer the
    theatrical release ending over the alternate on the DVD. Seems more like how
    "The Omega Man" ended.

    But I'm a fan of the post apocalyptic genre.

    I formed my opinion of "Cloverfield" from the commercials I saw on TV and
    skipped it in the theater and on DVD.

    Steve Irving, May 7, 2008
  7. My wife decided to go to a London steakhouse the first night of our
    honeymoon in Europe. The steak was like rubber and had virtually no
    flavor. Who knows whether it had less calories and cholesterol than a
    Big Mac (it's still red meat) but it certainly tasted worse than
    Mickie D's.

    Granted, this is just one restaurant, but it's not like I went to the
    British equivalent of a Ponderosa. This was a steakhouse recommended
    to us by the hotel concierge, who we never asked for help again.

    The alMIGHTY N, May 7, 2008
  8. Gander

    Steve Irving Guest

    Once years ago I told a Mexican guy I worked with that I liked food from Taco
    Bell....he about went off on me, about how it wasn't real Mexican food. I told
    him I never said it was REAL Mexican food...just that I liked it.

    Of the three you mentioned, Burger King is just about the only one I can stomach.

    Steve Irving, May 7, 2008
  9. That all depends... what makes a "good" car?

    The alMIGHTY N, May 7, 2008
  10. Gander

    Steve Irving Guest

    I keep my gun put away under lock and key most all the time......

    I usually only take it out when I travel on my motorcycle.

    Steve Irving, May 7, 2008
  11. Unfortunately for the validity of your argument, McDonald's burgers
    aren't the only burgers in the United States.

    Please inform us about all the lovely and wonderful food in Great
    Britain that isn't, say, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, etc.

    The only "native" British food that's even remotely decent is fish and
    chips. Otherwise, you need to eat something from one of the ethnic
    places to experience any enjoyment whatsoever.

    The alMIGHTY N, May 7, 2008
  12. ROTFLMAO

    The alMIGHTY N, May 7, 2008
  13. As opposed to the American stereotype being proliferated here?

    The alMIGHTY N, May 7, 2008
  14. Gander

    Steve Irving Guest

    Americans make GREAT cars, they're called Honda's, Toyota's, Nissan's.......

    Steve Irving, May 7, 2008
  15. Stop. You're making me hungry.

    The stuff might kill you but it tastes great. If I won the $140
    million jackpot Friday I still would be eating fast food every so
    often.

    You can't eat healthy crap all the time.

    The alMIGHTY N, May 7, 2008
  16. "Math" is not an object that exists in singular and plural forms.
    "Math" itself is simply a shortened form of "mathematics," adopted
    before the British counterpart, "maths."

    The alMIGHTY N, May 7, 2008
  17. Gander

    DBSnappa Guest

    I'd recommend reading the book by Richard Matheson. It's brilliant. And
    if you like that kind of post apocalyptic genre, then try some of these.

    Earth Abides by George R Stewart
    Death of Grass by John Christopher
    A Scientific Romance by Ronald Wright
    After London by Richard Jefferies (available as a free download from
    Project Gutenberg as it's out of copyright)

    DBSnappa, May 7, 2008
  18. This is exactly why the British form of "maths" seems strangely odd,
    at least to Americans.
    The vowel sound in "are" is a harder, stronger, more forced sound than
    the vowel sound in "is."
    In which case you should say, "The English players are winning."
    You're referring to a collective (which you pointed out above) which
    is, in itself, a singular object.
    The people in the boardroom do not make up the whole of Microsoft.
    Hell, even the entire employed staff of Microsoft does not make up the
    whole of the company. The company is much more than just the people
    and in any case is still a singular entity.
    Hmm... I don't remember the last time I heard someone use "data" to
    represent one specific piece of data.

    The alMIGHTY N, May 7, 2008
  19. Gander

    khee mao Guest

    all a good steak needs is salt and pepper and the slopeheaded Brits can't
    even get _that_ right?!?!?

    khee mao, May 7, 2008
  20. Gander

    MassiveProng Guest

    I already have three top line models. One is an in-the-box A35. The PC
    industry continues to make new models as well, idiot. So even my home
    player, which uses a PC form factor drive, will accept a new unit.

    MassiveProng, May 8, 2008