  1. Gander

    Dave Seven Guest

    Sure beats McDonald's and the Ford Pinto.

    Dave Seven, May 6, 2008

  2. Gander

    Tomcat Guest

    I agree with your point but remember, many people base their enjoyment
    of a product not by its intrinsic value but by the fact that it's the
    best/latest technology on the market. When they watch a blu-ray movie
    or tinker with their brand new iPhone they are gaining the majority of
    their enjoyment simply from the fact that they have something few
    other people have. Early adopters are really not sheep, they are more
    like pioneering consumers, wanting to be the first on the block to
    test that brand new gizmo so they can talk about it with other geeks
    and technophobes. To them that's worth paying a premium for.

    Tomcat, May 6, 2008

  3. Gander

    Strmo Guest

    Yes I see your point, and agree, so I suppose what really annoys me then is
    that manufacturers and retailers are taking advantage of this fact and
    ripping those people off. Especially Apple and the iPhone. Apple charge more
    for their products than a competitor equivalent because they know they have
    a "designer brand" not because they are better. Then all the cheap to make
    accessories are even more of a rip off!! And as for the iPhone you have to
    be crazy to go with someone who doesnt have any competitors (in UK you can
    only get it on O2 so theres no price competition). Hopefully that will stop
    now I heard Vodafone are selling it in other countries.

    So I am completely fine to wait another year until I get HD or an iPhone
    (well, a competitor version anyway). I keep reading news on the internet and
    know when its the right time to buy. Although saying that I think I may get
    a Wii Fit even though give it a few more years it should be even more
    amazing!

    BTW... I have a 42inch HD TV and the only time I watched HD is when I
    download the movies on my Xbox 360 and theres hardly any difference to
    normal DVDs so I dont see what all the fuss is about! When Sky stop charging
    monthly for HD (another company taking advantage of it), or when its time
    for me to upgrade my existing DVD player or when HD movies are the same
    price as DVDs THEN its time to use it, but I think what you get right now is
    not worth the extra money compared to normal def (although I have not
    experienced any extra features you get on BR disks so cant comment on that).

    Strmo, May 6, 2008
  4. Gander

    Morgan Guest

    I'm may be being unfair, it's been a good 15 years since I sampled and
    chocolate for your side of the pond, I seem to remmerb it being sliting
    atificial tasting though. A few other peopel have coment on it as well.
    THought in fainess it probably varies from make to make just like the stuff
    in the UK.
    Mess to eat but I like 'em.
    Never had Swiss, Belgian is nice from what I've tasted but I'd still prefer
    a good bar of Dairy Milk. Of course that's just me.

    Morgan, May 6, 2008
  5. Gander

    Morgan Guest

    The original as in I am Legend the book, or Omega Man. I wasn't a big fan
    of Omega Man. Think I'm going to read the book in the summer though. It
    sounds much better than either film, granted that's normal but apparently
    the story has entirely different slant on it. I'm told that it's more about
    how the bloke is losing his own humanity and how the infected vampire type
    things fear him.

    Morgan, May 6, 2008
  6. Gander

    Morgan Guest

    So a US BR release costs roughly the same as a UK one (2:1 exchange rate)
    but you get far cheaper DVDs.

    Morgan, May 6, 2008
  7. Gander

    Tomcat Guest

    Well, I guess there is a fine line between "ripping people off" and
    simply charging a price based on consumer demand. That's the free
    market system. If there are enough people willing to buy Apple
    products and accessories and pay a premium for them, even if its just
    to be "cool", then Apple or any company is going to take advantage and
    profit it.
    I agree with you about DVD's. I jumped on the HD-DVD bandwagon
    immediatly by buying the 360 HD-DVD drive and so far have not noticed
    much of a difference between upscaled DVD's and HD-DVD. My prediction
    is that the general public will never really adopt blu-ray or choose
    it as an option. It will instead be forced on them when blu-ray
    players replace DVD players on shelves as the only type of player you
    can buy. Just like progressive-scan DVD players. Most people didn't
    need progressive scan but still bought one simply because it became
    about the only type of DVD player sold.

    Tomcat, May 6, 2008
  8. Gander

    Chris F Guest

    yes, the book was great.

    the omega man, however, wasn't I Am Legend, it was an adaptation and
    changed a lot of the book's ideas.

    the last man on earth, i haven't seen, so can't comment on.

    I Am Legend with Will Smith, however, is a bit pants.

    Chris F, May 6, 2008
  9. Cadbury's Dairy Milk IS the nicest, but it ain't 'proper' chocolate. The
    Swiss and Belgian stuff is, but it tastes crap!

    Stephen O'Connell, May 6, 2008
  10. Gander

    DanB Guest

    You're not seriously implying Americans make good cars are you?

    DanB, May 6, 2008
  11. But their food is pretty good though!

    Stephen O'Connell, May 6, 2008
  12. If nobody buys either then who would win?
    Buyers most likely looked at what movies were available for each format and
    decided that way.
    I bought the HD-DVD add-on for the Xbox360. Do I regret buying it? Not at
    all. It was a cheap HD movie player and there were some movies exclusive to
    HD-DVD that I wanted to see in HD (well, Transformers mainly but there are
    others).

    The 2nd Coming of The Wonderfully Amazing Almighty, May 6, 2008
  13. Gander

    Chris F Guest

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 17:57:34 GMT, "The 2nd Coming of The Wonderfully
    Amazing Almighty Orgasmic Super Terrific Heroic Angelic Alpha
    Heartbreak Kid Nature Boy Hornet X Prime Version 1 '08, Brother! \"Axe
    thats why i got one, i had a 360, the player was cheap, and ive bought
    a ton of hd films, a lot of them for cheaper than their SD DVD
    versions.

    i knew it was finished as a format, but as the outlay cost was so
    small, what does it matter.

    i've now got loads of cheap films to watch in hd, and it's not like
    theyre going to stop working just cos blu-ray 'won'.

    have i 'lost' my money? i don't think so, it still works, and will
    work as long as the hardware does.

    Chris F, May 6, 2008
  14. Gander

    Klark Kent Guest

    In message "DanB"
    Where did I mention America? You ought to see a shrink to discuss your
    obsessive jealousy and cultural inferiority complex.

    Klark Kent, May 6, 2008
  15. Gander

    Pantyhose Guest

    The first movie based on the book was called The Last Man On Earth staring
    Vincent Price.
    It is kind of campy/chezzy but that's the way the director wanted it.

    Pantyhose, May 6, 2008
  16. Gander

    DanB Guest

    Definately not American, some of those words you looked up had more than 2
    syllables.

    DanB, May 6, 2008
  17. Hot Dogs! Although a Big Mac and Fries are nice too. But then again, I am
    a fat bastard.... and I shit like a dog at times too!

    Stephen O'Connell, May 6, 2008
  18. Gander

    Steve Irving Guest

    You bet.....we invented that stuff....you don't think those people eat that
    stuff when they get back home do ya????
    McDonald's....ACK!!!!

    How about I invite ya across the pond for a cookout on my patio.....we'll do
    some real burgers, maybe some ribs, ears of corn, onions in butter and garlic....

    Then we'll sit back around the pool, or in it if ya wish.....and sample a
    variety of beers. I don't care where they come from, it's all good. I prefer
    them cold, but it's not required.

    Steve Irving, May 6, 2008
  19. Gander

    Steve Irving Guest

    If it's not Scottish, it's Crrrrap.............

    Steve Irving, May 6, 2008
  20. Gander

    Chris F Guest

    Chris F, May 6, 2008