Blu-ray player now cheaper than a PS3

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Super Mario, Jun 4, 2007.

  1. Super Mario

    Super Mario Guest

    iTWire http://doiop.com/qgba53

    For the first time Sony's Blu-ray players http://doiop.com/they-suck
    are cheaper than its PlayStation 3 console http://doiop.com/garbage
    after the company announced a $100 cut off the price of the BDP-S300
    player to $499. The move begs the question: can Sony now afford not to
    also slash the price of PS3?

    ...By cutting the price of the BDP-S300, Sony has in effect severed the
    link between the PS3 and Blu-ray players. If a video enthusiast just
    wants a Blu-ray player, the PS3 is no longer an option because it's now
    too expensive.

    In effect, Sony has just kicked out one of the legs supporting the
    table of its still struggling PS3 business. With both Nintendo's Wii
    and Microsoft's Xbox 360 walloping the PS3 at the cash register, a lack
    of exclusive PS3 titles to choose from and still plenty of grumbling
    from gamers at the price, having one less reason for consumers to buy
    its next-gen console is something Sony can ill afford...

    Super Mario, Jun 4, 2007

  2. Super Mario

    khee mao Guest

    'enthusiast' and 'too expensive' in the same sentence?

    khee mao, Jun 4, 2007

  3. Super Mario

    SHaKeY STeVe Guest

    Exactly...you gotta pay for quality.

    SHaKeY STeVe, Jun 4, 2007
  4. Super Mario

    infiltrate Guest

    wrong. sure sometimes its like that but a lot of times thats the way the
    marketers want you to think. i have a $20 timex non-digital watch that for
    the last 5yrs has kept perfect time even after it getting banged,etc...

    infiltrate, Jun 4, 2007
  5. Super Mario

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Enthusiast != stupid with money.
    Also, enthusiast != early adopter.

    If I wanted a Blu-Ray player, I wouldn't get a PS3. These newer, lower
    priced Blu-Ray players will almost undoubtedly benefit from better
    manufacturing techniques, as well as containing newer versions of firmware
    to handle the Blu-Ray spec, menus, etc.

    Really now, you would think anyone serious about technology would know to
    shy away from any first versions/releases. Let other people buy them to
    work out the kinks and bugs. Then, when the 2nd (or even 3rd) revision
    comes out, THAT's when your should start considering the purchase.

    Doug Jacobs, Jun 5, 2007
  6. As apposed to Rolex which cost $20,000 and looses a minute or two a day!

    Heinrich Galland, Jun 5, 2007
  7. Super Mario

    fish. Guest

    Do they? Prove it.

    fish., Jun 5, 2007

  8. loose !?

    the dog from that film you saw, Jun 5, 2007
  9. Super Mario

    khee mao Guest

    1) no watch or clock keeps perfect time, not even atomic clocks.

    2) someone with a $20,000 Rolex probably doesn't give a shit about being a
    minute early or late and probably employs a servant to synchronize all of
    his watches to the US Naval Observatory's master clock each and every night.

    that said, I rock a Movado which only marks the 12.

    khee mao, Jun 5, 2007
  10. Super Mario

    khee mao Guest

    Enthusiast = pay to play.

    khee mao, Jun 5, 2007
  11. Super Mario

    Skipaiotter Guest

    True, each watch, clock etc should slow down x number of milliseconds the
    earth slows down each day etc to keep perfect time. :)
    Well, there are those cheap ripoff fake ones out there.. ;)

    Skipaiotter, Jun 5, 2007
  12. Which begs the question... is the cheaper BDP-S300 a worse Blu-Ray
    player than the PS3?

    The alMIGHTY N, Jun 5, 2007
  13. Given that the second-generation S300 will probably have the new working
    BD-J standard installed, that's another point down for PS3.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 5, 2007
  14. A Rolex has a mechanical movement as opposed to a quartz movement and
    most are certified chronometers which means they are accurate to
    within -2 to +3 seconds a day (I believe somewhere around there). If
    your Rolex loses a minute or two a day it needs to be serviced. Not
    saying Rolexes are the best watch for the money but they keep good
    time (for a mechanical watch), have a great service network (you can
    send in your Rolex for service and it will come back looking new every
    time), are really durable and hold their value well due to Rolexes'
    iron hand and savvy marketing. Whoever wrote this is obviously
    talking out their ass as not too many Rolexes are $20k maybe a solid
    Platinum Day Date. Comparing a Rolex to a Timex is like comparing a
    classic European sports car to a KIA and saying the KIA gets better
    mileage.

    factchecker76, Jun 5, 2007
  15. Super Mario

    mark johnson Guest

    lol

    I got my wife a small Rolex a few years ago and yes it only looses a few
    seconds a day, but its quite expensive to get serviced every year. The watch
    cost me around $7500

    mark johnson, Jun 5, 2007

  16. looses !?

    the dog from that film you saw, Jun 5, 2007
  17.
    factchecker76, Jun 5, 2007
  18. To each his own. The day I spend $7500 on a watch is the day I call it
    quits. That kinda scratch buys a lot of blu-ray discs! :)

    Aaron J. Bossig, Jun 6, 2007
  19. Super Mario

    Goro Guest

    obviously, these are magic Rolexes (Roleces?) that release seconds
    back into the wild.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jun 7, 2007
  20. Super Mario

    fredman Guest

    Came accross this from DVDtalk.com the other day:

    "In HD player news, the Sony Playstation 3 recently got a massive
    firmware upgrade that improved both its DVD and Blu-ray playback
    capabilities. Upon its original release, the PS3 could not upscale
    DVDs beyond 480p, something that many people with HDTVs require. Now
    it has the capability to upscale all the way to 1080p through HDMI.
    Per DVD Forum standards, the PS3 will not upscale regular DVDs via
    component. Some owners contend that the upscaling on the PS3 is on par
    with more expensive upscaling players by companies such as Denon.Even
    more exciting is that the PS3 is now capable of outputting 1080p 24hz.
    1080p/24 has been something a lot of HD aficionados have been
    clamoring for. On top of that, the player also supports RGB, BTB, and
    WTW. This allows for a much wider range of color and overall better
    image reproduction. Also, for people who actually use the PS3 to play
    games (suckers, I know), the PS3 can now upscale and smooth the image
    quality of PS2 games. For many, these additions have made the PS3 the
    premiere Blu-ray player on the market." Cheers.

    regards,

    =======
    fredman
    =======