    http://yahoo.pcworld.com/yahoo/article/0,aid,118491,00.asp

    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&ncid=738&e=1&u=/ap/200
    41209/ap_on_hi_te/dvd_alternatives

    Developwebsites, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Developwebsites

    Jon Purkey Guest

    I would assume, or at least hope, that regular DVDs will be around for
    a long time, just like VHS was for several years after DVDs first came
    out.
    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Developwebsites

    Mjmbond Guest

    No one is "forcing" anyone to do anything.

    Have you seen HiDef video?! Personally, the only thing giving me the blues is
    that Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD aren't available yet.
    "It's funny because it's true." (Homer Simpson)

    Mjmbond, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Developwebsites

    Tarkus Guest

    Only if they want to use the new technology.
    Are you really so stupid that you thought DVD would be the last video
    format?

    As to when it will stop, it will stop when people stop buying into new
    formats. IOW, never. And I'm thankful for that. Some of us LIKE
    progress.

    Tarkus, Dec 9, 2004
  5. Developwebsites

    ChrisK Guest

    I'm gonna be sticking with SD for a while longer at least.

    I might consider upgrading if Hollywood ever get around to releasing their
    product in HD only. That's a big if, as the installed base of SD players is
    **huge** and releasing a movie in HD only would be commerical suicide for
    the medium term...

    ChrisK, Dec 10, 2004
  6. True. And a few players and discs do not a successful format make.
    It'll be ages before there are enough titles to warrant a full switchover,
    even for the diehard early adopters.

    Not only that, there are plenty of titles which won't really benefit
    from an HD treatment, especially in the area of animation or TV show
    collections. With DVDs being as durable as they are, replacing them
    will be on a title-by-title basis.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Dec 11, 2004
  7. Developwebsites

    Tarkus Guest

    TV show collections may benefit from the standpoint of fitting a lot more
    on a single disc, should they choose to go that route. But as far as
    quality, yes, in most cases, there wouldn't be any benefit. However,
    many shows are starting to broadcast in HDTV, so that is subject to
    change.

    Tarkus, Dec 11, 2004