BLU-RAY Confirmed for PS3....Well, Almost

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by R420, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. R420

    R420 Guest

    http://www.forbes.com/technology/fe...tgenerationdisks.html?partner=yahoo&referrer=

    13 firms to devise specifications for playback-only 'Blu-ray Disc'+
    08.03.04, 3:16 PM ET

    TOKYO, Aug 03, 2004 (Kyodo via COMTEX) -- The world's 13 major
    electronics makers said Tuesday they will draw up by Sept. 30 a set of
    technological specifications for ultra-large-memory prerecorded
    "Blu-ray Disc" videodisks whose functions will be limited to playing
    back contents.

    This type of Blu-ray Disc video storage medium will carry such content
    as movies. The Blu-ray Disc technology combines optical disk and
    blue-laser technologies.

    Another type of Blu-ray Disc that allows users to both record and play
    back video images has already been put on the market.

    The 13 include Sony Corp., Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. and Dell
    Inc. of the United States.

    These manufacturers plan to start marketing, by the end of fiscal
    2005, video software as well as the Blu-ray Disc players whose
    functions will be limited to playing back prerecorded contents, they
    said.

    In a related move, Sony officials said the company will equip an
    upcoming version of the PlayStation2 video console with a Blu-ray Disc
    player, so that purchasers can enjoy both video games and movies of
    high-image quality.

    Sony plans to announce the outline of the next version of PlayStation2
    by March 31, 2005, they said.

    Sony's Blu-ray Disc provides 23 gigabyte storage memory capacity --
    five times that of a DVD.

    Compared with CD or DVD systems based on red lasers, Blu-ray machines
    use blue lasers that have a shorter wavelength and require much less
    space to store each bit of information.

    Kyodo News

    Even though the article did not say Playstation 3, it said an upcoming
    version of Playstation 2, in all likelihood, it IS for PS3, the
    sucessor to PS2, not a for a new PS2. probably just a case of
    mis-translation from the original Japanese article.

    R420, Aug 4, 2004

  2. R420

    Bill Cable Guest

    Sweet. I wonder if the xbox2 will include Blu-ray? That could be a HUGE
    advantage for Sony in the next round of the console wars.

    Bill Cable, Aug 4, 2004

  3. R420

    SCEIvsMSFT Guest

    Xbox2 will probably use either HD-DVD-ROM (the main competitor to Blu-Ray)
    or standard DVD-ROM like Xbox, but a faster version.

    SCEIvsMSFT, Aug 4, 2004
  4. R420

    Black Locust Guest

    Not a chance in hell. Sony and MS are competitors. That would be the
    equivalent of the PS3 running on a stripped down version of Windows like
    the Xbox does. Not to mention MS is currently tied the DVD forum backed
    HD-DVD format with their WM9 compression scheme. You'd be more likely to
    see blu-ray in Nintendo's next console, but even that's highly unlikely.

    Black Locust, Aug 4, 2004
  5. R420

    zeus Guest

    Why would it be an advantage?

    All bluray offers is more storage space. A hard drive beats it in terms of
    transfer speed which is much more important to us gamers. Also is there a
    need for such huge storage space for disc based media. Take the PS2 for
    example, it is in the twilight of its lifecycle and yet there are only 2
    games afaik that require the space of dual layer media (Xenosaga and MGS2
    Substance PAL).

    As for the PS3 being a cheap bluray video disc player... people said the
    same thing about the PS2 and dvds, how many people use the PS2 as their
    primary dvd player??

    zeus, Aug 4, 2004
  6. R420

    Black Locust Guest

    That's a result of the PS2 being a downright horrible DVD player. The
    PS3 will be a cheap alternative in the beginning, but it won't last
    long. These days you can get a DVD player with much better DVD playback
    than the PS2 offers for under 80 dollars. While the PS2 on the other
    hand still sells for over a 100 bucks. People buy PS2's to play games
    and quite frankly, that's the only reason someone should buy a PS2 or
    any other video game console.

    And believe me, blu-ray playback will not be nearly as strong a selling
    point as DVD playback was in the PS2. Pretty much the only people
    wanting to jump on the blu-ray bandwagon right out of the gate will be
    the people who own expensive home theatre systems, which is only about
    %5 of homes right now, if even that. It could take 8 to 10 years for
    blu-ray to even start becoming mainstream. Regular red-ray DVD still has
    a lot of years left in it.

    Just my two cents.

    Black Locust, Aug 4, 2004
  7. R420

    NeoRenegade Guest

    Why not focus on the *real* video game industry? I wonder what Nintendo
    is using in their next console... ?

    - NR

    NeoRenegade, Aug 4, 2004
  8. R420

    Nick Vargish Guest

    I did for a couple of years, and I know two other guys who did the
    same.

    Nick

    Nick Vargish, Aug 4, 2004
  9. R420

    dementia Guest

    Wha....?
    Are you saying Nintendo is the *real* video game industry?

    dementia, Aug 4, 2004
  10. R420

    dementia Guest

    I still use mine when watching DVD's in the family room.

    dementia, Aug 4, 2004
  11. I'd say there could be a small chance that xbox uses blu-ray. Sony doesn''t
    own blu-ray, they are just a member of the blu ray forum. No royalties
    or anything would be going to Sony. Both sony and microsoft used dvd,
    so I could see blu-ray being the used by both. But only a small chance
    because Microsoft is already in the hd-dvd forum. But they have been
    known to change before.

    Joe Thousandaire, Aug 4, 2004
  12. R420

    Jordan Lund Guest

    I don't see the point, for a couple of different reasons...

    Nobody is currently even coming close to tapping the limits of DVD.
    Your average game developer is barely beyond CD capabilities at this
    point. Movies work perfectly well on DVD as it is without having to go
    to the added expense of a whole new player and format.

    Really the only benefit I can think for blu-ray would be for
    television collections. You could have an entire season of a show on
    one disc instead of 4 and that would reduce production costs. I'm sure
    the studios would still charge $100 (or more) for the "set" even
    though it's really a single disc, but the geek in me would like to pop
    one disc in press "Play All" and have 23 hours of Babylon 5 on tap.

    Of course I guess I could do that now with one of these:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...24034&productCategoryId=cat03013&type=product

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Aug 4, 2004
  13. Of course one needs Blu-Ray or HDDVD for the memory requyired for high
    definition resolution.

    GK

    grant kinsley, Aug 5, 2004
  14. R420

    Black Locust Guest

    Actually, Sony does in a sense own blu-ray. They created the technology,
    it's a property of theirs.

    Black Locust, Aug 5, 2004
  15. I still use mine as a DVD player. I have to run Region-X every time
    to get rid of the green screen which is annoying, but it's not really
    practical to have a separate player. My TV has two Scart sockets and
    they are both used. One for the PS2 and one for my cable TV box &
    video signals. If I had a DVD player I would have to keep unplugging
    cables everytime.

    I once bought a 4 socket Scart switchbox, but it gave a composite
    signal out, so that was a total waste of time and I took it back to
    the shop. Maybe now I can get a proper RGB one thay would solve my
    problem.

    Paul.

    Paul Kitching, Aug 5, 2004
  16. I didn't know that. Does that mean that people do pay royalties to Sony?

    Joe Thousandaire, Aug 5, 2004
  17. R420

    Jordan Lund Guest

    For the, what? 4% of homes with HDTV? ;^)

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Aug 5, 2004
  18. R420

    nobody Guest

    Good lord. Reminds me of the 640K remarks.

    You guys are off-base for a several reasons.

    First:

    Storage space needs scale with system RAM. An uncompressed Doom 3
    installation requires 3.5 GB of space and the game uses no FMV. (And
    this is only 2004.) It's perfectly understandable that nobody is
    really filling DVDs for the PS2 games. The system has 32 MB of main
    RAM and 4 MB of video RAM. A game would need to have either a ton of
    incredibly-expensive-to-produce FMV to fill a DVD or millions of
    levels with millions of texture maps to fill it. The PS3 is going to
    have on the order of 10X as much memory, so texure maps will be 10X as
    large and so the storage space needed for all the texture maps on the
    disc will increase 10 fold.

    Now how hard will it be to fill a DVD? Right-o then...

    Second:

    Remember that DVD players were fairly common when the PS2 came out, so
    a lot of people already had them and the technology was old enough
    that they were in a position to drop in price rapidly. Of course
    people didn't need to use their PS2 for a DVD player. They already
    had them or they could get them for far less than the price of a new
    PS2. I bought a DVD player the year the Dreamcast was launched for <
    $200. I bought a PS2 a year and a half later for $300.

    When the PS3 comes out, Blu-Ray players will probably have yet to
    become mainstream. DVD was established by the time PS2 was out, but
    the PS3 could help establish Blu-Ray.

    BTW, I still use mine as a DVD player, as do quite a few other people
    I know. I suspect you're overestimating how discriminating people are
    about picture fidelity. DVD is sooooo much better than VHS, the
    latter of which is still in our memories, that when people see DVD,
    the 10% difference between player A and player B is basically so
    negligible compared to the 1000000% difference between VHS and DVD in
    their minds that not that many people ask "can I get something a
    little better?"

    Third:

    Remember that, judging by history, the PS3 is supposed to last until
    2011 or 2012. How many people do you think will own an HDTV by then?
    Pretty much everybody, I'm guessing. All networks will be required to
    broadcast in HDTV by 2006, exactly when we're expecting PS3, and we
    can reasonably expect HDTV sets to drop in price very quickly within
    the next few years. If Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are backwards compatible
    with DVD, (HD-DVD is already), then I would expect a very fast
    adoption if the technology is available on the cheap. Unlike DVD
    player A vs. DVD player B, there is a very noticable difference
    between normal-def TV and HDTV. People will be looking for something
    that can keep up with their fancy new HDTV.

    If the PS3 sellls as well as the PS2, which seems likely, then Sony
    will have managed to get Blu-Ray into 70-100 million homes before the
    end of the decade.

    I guess this is why you don't work for Sony's engineering department.

    Putting Blu-Ray in the PS3 is not a superfluous decision. It's
    completely sensible and forward-thinking.

    nobody, Aug 5, 2004
  19. R420

    nobody Guest

    Err, sorry. That wasn't intended to sound quite so smug.

    Same poster, different addy.

    nobody, Aug 5, 2004
  20. I suspect it's much higher than that. HDTV is selling very well and
    the numbers are growing, the fact that not much is offered in HD yet
    isn't helping, but as media becomes more available.

    GK

    grant kinsley, Aug 6, 2004