    Alpha Guest

  2. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    Alpha, Aug 23, 2005

  3. Alpha

    Fred Guest

    It wouldn't bother me one bit to wait for a unified format.

    Fred, Aug 23, 2005
  4. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    If you read the statements correctly, they really say a unified format *may*
    be released. Who is going to buy into this mess even at the start to
    provide sufficient revenue for success of a high density format?

    Alpha, Aug 23, 2005
  5. Alpha

    Larry Lynch Guest

    If one (Blu Ray/HDDVD) doesn't prove clearly superior over the other,
    then a third or forth format will replace them both. OR:

    Machines will be made compatible with both.. Maybe not right away, but
    eventually.

    Larry Lynch, Aug 23, 2005
  6. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    On your last point, every article I have read says it will require a
    'techonological breakthrough' to have compatible machines. I wonder if
    there will be enough revenue or interest to produce such a breakthrough.

    Alpha, Aug 23, 2005
  7. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    Alpha, Aug 24, 2005
  8. Alpha

    Larry Lynch Guest

    It took a 'techonological breakthrough' to put color video on a home
    video recorder, then it took a 'techonological breakthrough' to make
    those vcr machines for less than 2000 dollars, then it took a
    'techonological breakthrough' to put half a movie on a 12 inch disk,
    then a 'techonological breakthrough' to put a 2 hour movie on a 5" disk,
    then a 'techonological breakthrough' to put dual layers et al.

    They keep doin' stuff that cant be done.

    Larry Lynch, Aug 24, 2005
  9. However I think it's wrong to say that a technological breakthrough is
    needed in this case. Just as Beta and VHS never shared a machine, I
    think Blu-Ray and HD-TV wont be playable on the same machine due to
    political and licensing issues.

    Oh and there ARE DVD-VHS machines, there were also Hi-8/SVHS decks, so
    a player with two lasers, if necessary, is not a technolgical hurdle.
    And as for any differences in the hub and rotation speed, laserdiscs
    and DVD use the same spindle in the Pioneer DVR series.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 24, 2005
  10. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    No, Steve. This is not at ALL like simply having a player with two lasers.
    Not at all. As I think we went over, you will recall how expensive dual
    spindle laser disc systems were (CD and LD)...they never were mainstream.
    This will require that plus different tracking mechanisms, etc.

    Alpha, Aug 24, 2005
  11. Alpha

    Alpha Guest

    Let me clarify,

    The architectures require micro-adjustments with different geometries of
    fine-tuning of the laser. Recall the different thickness etc. of the discs,
    etc. How will this be done with one laser unit? This is unknown, and
    requires a technological breakthrough.

    Alpha, Aug 24, 2005
  12. You missed my point entirely. Whether it is technically feasible or
    not, the bitter battle between the format camps now will assure that
    they will not license production of one machine able to play both
    formats. And anyway speaking as a technician who has serviced laser
    and DVD players I don't see anything particularly insurmounatable in
    the different focus angles required for optimal reading of the two
    different densities of disc surface.

    On the latter point I was practically the lone voice here saying that
    a DVD writer designed to write one layer could be turned into a
    dual-layer writer with a simple firmware upgrade. While only one or
    two units were literally the same except for firmware, the principal
    of the adaption being simpler than everyone thought, remains.

    .. Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 24, 2005
  13. ??? As soon as digital audio was added to LD, LD players became dual
    purpose LD/CD players. As mainstream as LD ever got.

    Kimba W. Lion, Aug 24, 2005
  14. Yeah, I didn't understand that comment either. I was unfortunate
    enough to own the first laserdisc player to play CDs, the Pioneer
    CLV-900, or some such. - Neverending problems with belts and the
    microswitches activated by the turnover mechanism, which used separate
    motors and spindles for the two disc types. But shortly afterwards,
    in succeeding models, a spring loaded larger hub on a single motor
    that could run at a wide range of speed reduced the cost and
    complexity of a combined machine to very little more than handling
    just laserdiscs alone. All post-1988 NTSC laserdisc players handled
    CDs except for a few high-end units. They were most definitely
    mainstream enough, and certainloy not somehow reduced in market
    penetration BECAUSE they handled CDs as well.

    My point is that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD use different manufacturing
    techniques, with Blu-Ray requiring an investment in new die-making
    equipment, but for playback the matter of track depth and different
    data densities are nothing compared with one unit being able to read
    DVDs and CDs; or lasers, single-layer DVDs, double-layer DVDs, and
    CDs, all with one laser assembly! And it's too bad that this format
    war is taking place at all since all the major pressing plants have
    expressed willingness to install new Blu-Ray equipment, if necessary.
    And Blu-Ray does have technological advantages over HD-DVD. Lest we
    forget, RCA's CED format was the answer to the supposed complexity of
    manufactuirng optical video discs, but quality won out in this case.

    Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 24, 2005
  15. Alpha

    Tarkus Guest

    You mean like Dolby/DTS and DVD-Audio/SACD?

    Tarkus, Aug 24, 2005
  16. Alpha

    Justin Guest

    There were some LD/DVD players too.

    Justin, Aug 24, 2005
  17. Alpha

    Guest Guest

    In 1983 I bought the RCA Selectavision CED system which went belly-up a
    year later.

    I bought into VHS which is now on its way out.

    I bought into LaserDisc because it was the only way to see Dario
    Argento's films clearly at that time. We all know how that format
    ended...

    I bought into DVD because it was irresistible...

    Now they are rolling out High Definition DVDs.

    I honestly wish that consumers would refuse to buy into this format
    because Hollywood is in the business of re-issuing their products
    countless times over and making money off of fools like us who buy
    these movies in different formats and carp about their aspect ratios,
    lack of extras, box art, etc. We rarely are satisfied anyway...

    We should all sit back and tell Hollywood to go f--- itself because
    guaranteed something else will come out to supersede 1080 High
    Definition, and ebay will once again be flooded with unwanted DVDs...

    F--- you, Hollywood!

    Guest, Aug 25, 2005
  18. Alpha

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    So, by your logic, in the past 22 years home video technology should
    have never advanced past "needlevision" CED?

    Joshua Zyber, Aug 25, 2005
  19. I think Jstryker is being ridiculous. VHS and its improvement SVHS
    have had a 26-year run so far, laserdisc lasted 18 years (from 1981)
    as a format for videophiles who wanted quality, DVD, well, it's less
    than 8 years and is soon to be challenged. CED is the one format on
    this list that went nowhere, because it was just plain Bad.

    As for double-dipping, that's nothing to do with the format.

    .. Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 25, 2005
  20. Alpha

    Guest Guest

    My frustration stems from the fact that I am in possession of old
    formats that are no longer supported. Movies are my addiction, and I
    have spent an obscene amount of money on them since April 1983. I
    know, it's really my fault, and I acknowledge that, I do. I've bought
    THE SHINING, PSYCHO, and ALIEN (just a few examples) five times in all
    these different formats, and now with this Blu-Ray & HD-DVD situation I
    must resist the temptation to get involved with this because they will
    just give way to something else later on, perhaps the holographic DVDs
    capable of 2K or 4K lines (which will probably be replaced by something
    else!).

    Hollywood can boo-hoo all it wants to about piracy, but they will get
    no sympathy from me. When an industry keeps reissuing their titles
    over and over again in the same format alone (standard 640 x 480 DVD),
    with the SPECIAL EDITIONS and DIRECTOR'S CUT, etc., those of us who
    purchase movies are actually spending $50 - $100 per movie if we choose
    to upgrade to the next special edition(s).

    Guest, Aug 26, 2005