Bloody Epson! Need to clean print heads?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    In the last couple of months I have been getting worried after reading
    quite a few stories from people with Epson printers that are failing.
    Especially because I recently bought my olds an Epson printer for
    Christmas so they can print out their photos.

    Today my R200 has gone potty! I have only had this printer I believe
    just over a year! (I guess that means its out of warranty?) It has
    decided to suddenly not recognise any of the ink cartridges. I have
    also discovered that at the right hand side some black ink has been
    leaking down and onto a screw under where the stationary print head
    usually rests to the left of the sponge pads.

    So far I am trying to clean up the spilt ink using tissues. I have
    also removed all the ink cartridges from the print head so more ink
    can't leak down.

    It seems this is a common problem as others have also had this issue:
    http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/34303

    And a search of comp.periphs.printers brings up many posts with people
    have issues with Epson printers. And the number one issue seems to
    always be the print heads getting clogged.

    In the past I have never had any problems when I used cheaper HP and
    Canon inkjets where I had the same printer for many years, and Epson
    supposedly have more expensive and advanced print heads?

    I guess that going for an Epson printer with it's high resolution
    figures and fancy Durabrite Ink cartridges has it's drawbacks, and the
    biggest one is the reliability of the print heads?

    If anyone has any information by the way on how to clean the print
    heads for my Epson R200, I'd be very grateful. I suspect that they
    probably need cleaning and hopefully I should be able to do this
    without any more problems.

    Cheers for your help

    John

    Note for future: Always buy extended warranty with Epson printers!

    John, Feb 8, 2006

  2. John

    Mike Guest

    You might want to try fixyourownprinter.com itself. I don't know about your
    printer, but they sell cleaning kits for about $9.95 for many Epson
    printers. They come with instructions, fluids etc. I just ordered one myself
    for a CX4800.

    Mike

    Mike, Feb 8, 2006

  3. John

    measekite Guest

    MY FRIEND HAS AN R300. HE USES EXCLUSIVELY EPSON OEM INK. HE HAS HAD
    NO PROBLEMS OTHER THAN WITH THE CD FEED TRAY WHICH IS A KNOWN PROBLEM.
    BUT HE HAS COMPARED HIS PHOTO PRINTS COMPARED WITH MY CANON IP4000 USING
    CANON OEM INK AND FEELS THE CANON PRODUCES BETTER RESULTS.

    GO BUY A CANON IP5200 AND USE CANON OEM INK WITH COSTCO/KIRKLAND FULL
    SHEET GLOSSY PAPER. THE RESULTS ARE FANTASTIC AND NO PROBLEMS.

    measekite, Feb 8, 2006
  4. John

    Ben Thomas Guest

    You should only use Canon paper with Canon ink.

    Ben Thomas, Feb 8, 2006
  5. John

    Yianni Guest

    John,
    Don't worry for the ink onto the pads and onto the blades to the left of the
    pads. It's normal, because of cleaning cycles.
    The problem of not recognised cartridges comes from the electrical
    connection between the chips on the cartridges and the contacts on the
    printer. Remove the cartridges and clean the chips, either with water or
    alcohol. You have to rub the chips hard enough. Then put back the
    cartrdiges.

    Yianni, Feb 8, 2006
  6. John

    John Guest

    Do you known where the caps lock button is on your keyboard? Please
    press it!

    Do you not find the Epson Durabrite ink to be better? It is dry as
    soon as it comes out the printer whereas I have found other printers
    like HP and Canon often are still wet and need to dry. Also the Epson
    ink I feel might have more longevity? I.E. photos and other printed
    matter are less likely to fade over time?

    What is the max colour printing resolution on these Canon printers you
    are using compared to the Epson? And can you print onto blank DVDs
    and CDs? This is also one of the reasons I bought the R200 and I have
    not had any problems so far printing direct onto disc. No beer
    coasters made!

    John

    John, Feb 8, 2006
  7. John

    measekite Guest

    *yeah i do i just pressed it*

    measekite, Feb 9, 2006
  8. John

    measekite Guest

    Right On

    measekite, Feb 9, 2006
  9. John

    Lou Guest

    Having never cleaned contacts I do not know how messy the area is, but if it is
    NOT messy you can clean any contacts by using a pink eraser found on the end of
    a pencil. Works for contacts on plug-in boards too.

    Lou

    Lou, Feb 9, 2006
  10. Your printer doesn't use "fancy Durabrite Inks" (to use your phrase),
    but just Epson dye inks.

    If you email me at the address below, and give me details of what LEDS
    were flashing and how they were flashing (speed and sequence, etc) I may
    be able to help you.

    I can also provide you with a free Epson Cleaning manual that explains
    how to clean the heads.

    Art

    e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)org

    (at) = @
    (dot) = .

    Arthur Entlich, Feb 9, 2006
  11. Your R200 uses dye inks, not Durabrite which are pigment. The R800 and
    R1800 are the two R series printers using pigment inks, and they use
    Ultrachrome.

    The Durabrite inks are mainly used in 4 color printers, in the C and CX
    models, and in one 6 color model called the 2000P.

    HP printers use a swellable polymer paper for their best results, and
    you are correct the paper takes longer to dry. The Canon uses dye inks
    and microporous paper which is also usually dry to the touch on output.

    Both Epson and Canon produce pretty good results, but the standard Canon
    inks do tend to fade fairly rapidly in sunlight or under fluorescent.
    They have a new ink set that is better.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Feb 9, 2006
  12. Not the best solution for printers for a number of reasons. Usually the
    contacts are gold plated, so they aren't corroded, but the plating is
    thin, so using an abrasive is probably not wise in this case. Also the
    residue on the contacts may be ink, so the eraser will just get
    contaminated and spread the gunk around. Lastly, some erasers leave a
    residue behind themselves which may alter conductivity.

    The eraser trick is OK for things like battery posts/terminals and
    batteries which develop corrosion, however.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Feb 9, 2006
  13. John

    Lou Guest

    That trick was taught to me by repair folks at Wang labs (about 30 years ago). All
    the contacts in question were gold plated. They used the pink erasers cause they are
    soft. It does work, have used it often in PCs. Comments on ink are why I specified
    "if they are not too dirty". Obvious answer is to try cleaning away any ink first.

    Lou

    Lou, Feb 9, 2006
  14. 30 years ago gold was cheaper and computers were much more cosly. I have
    a few circuit boards around that were made back then. Mainframes
    sometimes had the whole circuit plated in gold, not just the connection
    points. The gold layer was thick too! Gold plating on current equipment
    is often a few molecules thick... just enough to reduce corrosion and
    improve contact. It tends to scratch off just from inserting the
    cartridges let alone cleaning them with an abrasive.

    My Dad happened to be in the drafting supply and stationary biz, so I
    grew up with erasers. Pink Pearls (still made today) are relatively low
    abrasive, but not all pink erasers are Pink Pearl, and some are rather
    abrasive (likes some found on the end of pencils).

    I'm not trying to bust your chops here, it's just things have changed
    considerably in the last 30 years when it comes to gold plating used in
    electronics. My suggestion is alcohol on a soft foam or swab. Cotton
    swab are OK, if the alcohol doesn't dissolve the glue they use (some do)
    and the fibers doen't get tangled in the wires contacts in the printer
    iteself.

    Art

    Arthur Entlich, Feb 9, 2006
  15. John

    JANA Guest

    I GUESS YOUR CAP LOCK KEY IS STUCK! YOUR ARE SHOUTING!!!

    It's your nickel, start talking...

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Feb 9, 2006
  16. John

    JANA Guest

    The Canon printers have problems with head clogging. Personaly, I think
    Canon makes excellent photo cameras and scanners. But, every Canon printer I
    ever owned was a disaster!

    The advantage with the HP printers is that when you change the cartridges,
    the nozzles are also changed with them. This way, a new cartridge means a
    new nozzle. It is worth the extra cost in order to not have the added
    aggravation.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Feb 9, 2006
  17. John

    measekite Guest

    CANON PRINTERS WHEN USING CANON OEM INK ARE ALMOST MAINTENANCE AND CLOG
    FREE.
    ONLY IF YOU PRINT VERY INFREQUENTLY. I ALSO HAVE AN HP. VERY GOOD
    PRINTER. BETTER AT BUSINESS DOCS BUT NOT AS GOOD WITH PHOTOS AS CANON

    measekite, Feb 10, 2006
  18. John

    measekite Guest

    NO I AM JUS TYPING. AND NOW I AM TOP POSTING.

    measekite, Feb 10, 2006
  19. John

    Prime Guest

    They don't tell you what you are getting....blah....blah....blah

    Prime, Feb 10, 2006