  1. I am unsuccessful in preventing messages containing key words from being
    downloaded to my mail box. I try to click delete from server, but it doesn't
    seem to work.

    Carole & Phil Silverman, Nov 26, 2006

  2. Carole & Phil Silverman

    Mike Easter Guest

    - OE is very weak in its message rules
    - deleting from server will not work for a rule which requires
    downloading the message before it can work
    - if you want a decent filter, you should use something like the free
    SpamPal to properly tag a message so that OE's simple rules can work
    - the problem with deleting a mail sight unseen based on 'dumb' rules
    is the unwitting lose of wanted goodmail
    - any rule needs oversight; your rule should put the unwanted items
    into a Junk folder, not autodelete

    Mike Easter, Nov 26, 2006

  3. Carole & Phil Silverman

    why? Guest

    Is that after downloading mail or setting up a rule to 'delete from
    server'? If it's creating / modify a rule try deleting the rule and
    starting again.

    Otherwise it appears to be much easier not to use OE, and use something
    else like Forte Agent, Thunderbird or others. I likes Eudora and used
    it for 4 years, although I think it's merged with something else
    recently. So it has and looks to be a freebie not too far away,
    http://www.eudora.com/

    Mailwasher is oftem mentioned in 24HSHD, have a look for it,
    http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk
    see what's said about it.

    Sites like http://www.tucows.com/Windows/Business/E-mail/E-mailCheckers/
    have lists of mail checkers. In the past I have used AvirMail to preview
    the headers and delete from the server before downloading.

    Now I tend to use my ISPs webmail with some rules setup at that end.

    Me

    why?, Nov 26, 2006