    is there a way to block limewire on my network, what ports do i block?

    i run voip and this p2p stuff is eating my bandwith

    thanks

    steve, Nov 28, 2004

  2. steve

    Pablo Guest

    There's only one way to do this easily.

    First off, I assume that you're not sitting at home with three machines and
    this is your little eleven year old sister running p2p. If that were the
    case, the easy way to block it is to walk into her room and uninstall it.
    Barring that, here's your best option:

    You need to set your router or firewall to an 'ALLOW ONLY' type setting. In
    other words, instead of trying to second guess what app everyone might ever
    install on your network, you need to set your firewall to block EVERYTHING
    EXCEPT ports you KNOW you need. Usually, this will be port 80 for HTML, 25
    & 110 for smtp and pop3. Sometimes a telnet and ftp (23, and 21
    respectively)... and maybe a couple more, like 1723 (PPTP VPN). Basically,
    if it doesn't originate through one of those ports, it's blocked. If that's
    not possible, sometimes your firewall may support QOS (quality of service)
    options for VOIP. This will limit what non-critical traffic will go
    through, and reserve a percentage of bandwidth to make sure VOIP still has
    "quality of service".

    Realistically though, if you don't have control over the individual users
    desktops, the first option is best, block everything except ONLY the ports
    you decide. This avoids you having to chase down what port every new
    application that some yahoo installs talks on and block it specifically. At
    65000+ ports, that can get annoying.

    Paul

    Pablo, Dec 6, 2004