    What's a good program to try, insteads of OE's ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Mar 15, 2008

  2. How about a mail client with a built-in Junk filter?
    Spammers rarely, if ever, use the same From: address twice. You just end
    up with a huge blocked sender list that must be parsed, but never used.
    A better and more secure (free) email program, with the aforementioned
    built-in, trainable, filter:

    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 15, 2008

  3. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    Inbox ?

    I recommend SpamPal^1 with custom configuration of the blocklists +
    usage of the plugins RegExFilter & URLbody.
    Block sender is not only worthless, it is counterproductive and wastes
    resources. Spam From typically rotates between spammees, it isn't
    'from' the spamsource.
    OE's message rules are extemely weak and virtually worthless all by
    themselves. If SpamPal is labeling the spam with its filtertaggger then
    the labeled spam can be OE message ruled into its own folder.

    Periodically the spam in the Junk folder should be evaluated to make
    sure that the filtertagging is essentially perfect -- where perfect
    means that absolutely no goodmail 0.00000% gets into the Junk folder,
    even at the cost of an occasional false negative spam that slips thru'
    into the Inbox.

    In addition to keeping almost all spam out of your Inbox, you should
    also handle any unwanted mail wisely and securely. Since all of your
    spam will be identified for you by much more sophisticated filtering
    than your eyeballs, there is no need to be opening any spam or reading
    any spam subjects or froms receptively.

    ^1 http://www.spampal.org/ free and opensource, multilingual, well
    supported

    Mike Easter, Mar 15, 2008
  4. Robert11

    Mara Guest

    Mara, Mar 15, 2008
  5. Robert11

    Jerry G. Guest

    What you need is a good Spam filter program. I have used McAfee. I heard
    that most of the name brand ones are good. It is a matter of preference.

    You could get in to setting up a number of rule filters, and keep
    building it up based on text. This would end up being a big job with
    many hundreds of entries if not thousands. The Spam filter authors do
    that and keep constantly updating their filters. It is an almost never
    ending task.

    The Spammers and Hackers developed an industry from their deeds that
    everyone world wide is paying for!

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Mar 15, 2008
  6. Sorry, I don't need one. As I stated, my email client does it all by
    itself.
    Unless they are McAfee and Norton.
    Yes, it's a big job. That is why I let my email client take care of it.
    Well, that part is certainly true...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 15, 2008
  7. Oh wait! I forgot ... you're JANA!

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 15, 2008
  8. Robert11

    why? Guest

    I have been using this for a while, seems quite good,
    http://www.mailwasher.net/

    Switch to a different mail client, free and has junk mail controls built
    in, http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
    That's the point :) and why those free extras built into Win may look
    like a good idea. Why pay or use something else when MS give it away for
    free.
    See what your mail provider has to offer, some may have options that
    flag subject lines as spam then you can check and delete those.
    Me

    why?, Mar 15, 2008
  9. Robert11

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    I use Mailwasher myself, and when I was using OE, I took OE out of it's
    ability to send/receive emails at OE start-up or on a timed basis. By doing
    that taking OE out of its auto functions of sending and receiving emails, I
    have the control of what emails are pulled to the Inbox, instead of OE just
    downloading to Inbox on it's own. That way, I can filter the emails at the
    ISP's email server and delete any I don't want with Mailwasher, leaving the
    emails I want to pull to the Inbox from the ISP's email server.

    I use Mailwasher on Vista, and I took Windows Mail on Vista out of its
    auto settings of sending/receiving emails.

    Mailwasher is free.

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 15, 2008
  10. Good lord. It also has a browser, an HTML editor, a chat
    program......everything but a blowjob dispenser. Why not Thunderbird?
    He's looking for mail filtering.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 15, 2008
  11. Robert11

    Sunny Guest

    | Hello,
    |
    | Might someone please recommend a "good" free or inexpensive program to
    help
    | block all the garbage that
    | has lately been arriving in my Inbox ?
    |
    | I use Outlook Express, and the Block Sener option in OE apparently is
    not
    | very effective once one
    | uses it. I guess they keep changing their addresses to prevent it from
    | working.
    |
    | What's a good program to try, insteads of OE's ?

    Use OE "rules" :
    http://www.mindspring.com/~majik/messagerules.htm
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/rules.htm
    http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#top

    Sunny, Mar 16, 2008
  12. Robert11

    why? Guest

    Interface, why learn 3 or 4. TB fine if that's all required but will
    find the browser better, the other stuff is there if required :)

    Me

    why?, Mar 16, 2008
  13. Robert11

    M.L. Guest

    M.L., Mar 17, 2008
  14. Hrmph. He'll never use the other stuff. If he were at all explorative
    (is that a word?) he'd already know about TB and other answers to his
    question about mail. I guess I'm feeling cynical. But that doesn't
    mean I'm wrong. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 17, 2008
  15. Robert11

    why? Guest

    Wow you know how to reply in context dont you?

    You cut out both my replies, and that of Blinky while seeming to aim
    your answer to the OP 10 posts earlier.

    BTW is the post a reply to the OP thread about OE Inbox (email) or just
    one made up about news filtering?

    Me

    why?, Mar 17, 2008
  16. Robert11