    Blocking port 80 is not an option as web access is required, but WML to
    be blocked.

    Thanks

    Jon, Nov 14, 2008

  2. Jon

    Jon Guest

    And I must apologise for my spelling of "messenger" in the subject line!

    Jon, Nov 14, 2008

  3. Jon

    Appollo Guest

    I'm sure in one of the advanced settings in the firewall lets you close IM
    ports.
    It does in my DG834 v3.

    Appollo, Nov 14, 2008
  4. Jon

    Jon Guest

    It's not for me, it's for a client. But thanks for your tips, I will try
    them.

    Jon, Nov 14, 2008
  5. Jon

    Jon Guest

    It does, but not by schedule.

    Jon, Nov 14, 2008
  6. Jon

    Jon Guest

    UPnP was disabled on both the router and the client machine already.
    Disabline the windows firewall also had no effect.

    Even using the routers "Close IM Ports" facility did not block it.

    Jon, Nov 16, 2008
  7. Jon

    Jon Guest

    It doesn't work.

    Jon, Nov 16, 2008
  8. Jon

    DCA Guest

    Is you client wanting to stop a person from getting access to Messenger?
    For what it is worth, have you considered use of a internet filter?
    I use NetNanny (the version of their software they bought from
    contentwatch). This can very easy be used to block 'chat' or 'peer-peer'
    use. I have been very impressed with it.

    DCA, Nov 16, 2008
  9. Jon

    Conor Guest

    You're all going about it the wrong way. You've merely got to block the
    IP address MSN Messenger uses to sign in. Open up a command prompt with
    only Messenger running on the PC and type netstat -a. It lists 3 colums.
    First is the local IP, your machine, second is the remote. In the second
    you need to look for two things. Look for a https session <ip
    address>:https and look for a msnp session <ip address>:msnp. On mine
    its 207.46.113.220:https and 65.54.239.80:msnp . Now I doubt they're the
    sole addresses.

    Failing that, install Windows Live Family Care on the computer. It's
    tied to your Live account so they can't alter it unless they can get
    into your live account. It allows you to control what sites they go to
    and what time they can use WLM or if at all. Make sure their accounts
    are "Standard User" and password yours as the administrator and they're
    stuffed. http://www.get.live.com

    Conor, Nov 16, 2008
  10. Jon

    Conor Guest

    Further to the above, I've just had a look on WHOIS. you'd need to block
    207.46.0.0 - 207.46.255.255 and 65.52.0.0 - 65.55.255.255. That'll block
    messenger from being able to sign in.

    Conor, Nov 16, 2008
  11. Jon

    Conor Guest

    What version firmware are you using? AFAIK, the latest is .40

    Conor, Nov 16, 2008
  12. Jon

    Jon Guest

    I upgraded the firmware a few weeks ago while doing a different job for
    them, so unless it's changed in teh last 2 weeks we are on the latest.

    Jon, Nov 17, 2008
  13. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Whatever solution I find must be done ont he router itself, not the
    client machine. I will bear your solution in mind though.

    Jon, Nov 17, 2008
  14. That's useful - and I'd like to understand it better. How did you look
    that up, exactly?

    Phil, London

    Philip Herlihy, Nov 17, 2008
  15. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Yes, doesn't work.

    Jon, Nov 18, 2008
  16. Jon

    Jon Guest

    I logged out of wlm and back in again, having "repaired" the network
    connection on the client machine, flushing DNS etc. The router would re-
    start itself if it was necessary to update the configuration, e.g. if
    you change the ADSL login it reboots.

    Jon, Nov 20, 2008