    Employee farks up system, you restore their system from ghost image.
    Employee loses all configuration they've done.

    They'll learn.

    Evan Platt, May 6, 2009

  2. Charles

    M.L. Guest

    And lose all the company-owned data they've saved.
    The company would suffer more than the employee. Restoring computers
    every time a toolbar gets installed will be very labor intensive and
    costly.

    M.L., May 6, 2009

  3. Charles

    Evan Platt Guest

    Data is stored to the server, not the workstation.
    Not if done properly. If properly configured, reimaging a system can
    be a one step process for the tech doing it, and the employee is told
    to take his lunch.

    Evan Platt, May 6, 2009
  4. Charles

    walter Guest

    M.L. wrote without attributing anything:
    The OP has been given the '(re)solution', many times over. The (re)solution
    is, there isn't (and cannot BE) a 'solution' while everybody on the LAN has
    administrative rights.

    As long as that company policy remains in effect, there is nothing the OP
    can do that cannot be undone by anybody else.

    My 'solution' would be to ask for permission to snatch admin accounts away
    from everybody but himself and the boss. That way there's only 2 machines
    to worry about.

    There may be a reason (but I can't think of one) for everybody on a company
    LAN to 'need' admin accounts, so he shouldn't have any trouble getting
    permission from the boss to do just that.

    walter, May 6, 2009
  5. .... and a valid credit card number for faster "red-carpet" service!

    And don't be snipping my "HTH"s. It's in the FAQs.

    Thanks for your co-operation.

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and whilst my huge stimulus package
    may not save the US economy; it sure makes the wimmins happy!

    Pay your taxes and keep Air Force One flying low over NYC :

    http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/z/8/2/hopenosis.gif

    Bucky Breeder, May 6, 2009
  6. Charles

    Top Guest

    After serious thinking M.L. wrote :
    Then the data should be being saved on a server to start with.

    Top

    Top, May 6, 2009
  7. Charles

    M.L. Guest

    Given that the OP implied that the employees were too inattentive to
    uncheck a checkbox to avoid installing a toolbar that they didn't
    necessarily want in the first place, I doubt they'd be interested in
    undoing the OP's toolbar uninstall.

    M.L., May 6, 2009
  8. Charles

    walter Guest

    As stated; OP has been given the "solution" many times over.
    You don't know what "they'd" be interested in doing any more than I do.

    Given the current XP configuraton (everybody's an admin) of the company LAN,
    the only "solution" to the "installing toolbars" issue is for the OP to
    convince the "boss" that it's best to take admin rights away from everybody
    but the two of them.

    Why is this even a discussion?

    IF you're an admin AND I'm an admin on the same LAN, I can UNDO everything
    you DO in a matter of moments.

    The *ONLY* way to accomplish what the OP wants to do, and make SURE it will
    *STICK* ... Is to take away admin rights from every
    machine on the LAN but his own, and that of his boss. (Still waiting to
    hear from OP as to why anyone else on the company LAN needs them.)

    Assuming his boss will continue to download toolbars after that, he's only
    gotta check in once a week or so on ONE machine, and either disable or
    remove it/them.

    walter, May 6, 2009
  9. Charles

    funnicus

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Rescue Stupid Company that doesn't deserve it?

    Jeez, guy you aren't even supposed to be working on it, your boss is too stupid to do better, it's not your job, why are you bothering the public for free help for a company that isn't even paying you to do this? Companies that are so stupid should suffer the consequences, it's called competition and darwin's law. Let nature take it's course. Your company probably rips us off in between asking us for free help.

    funnicus, Feb 11, 2010
  10. Charles

    auntiemikerowsoft

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    GPEDIT.MSC on local machines

    Haven't tried this but it looks right. (See below comments)

    WARNING! FLAMEBAIT! for the idiots.

    Obviously these idiots haven't worked for a privately held company that would rather let you do whatever you want on the network than hire someone who would make them spend the money do to things properly.

    As for the users being admins. I know as well as you do that 99.9999% of them are too ignorant of higher access rights to either realize you have done anything or to try to reverse those changes.

    Any user sophisticated enough (or stupid and dangerous enough )to "screw up" what you implement can be left to their own devices.

    Found the following after reading this blog entry. Too stubborn tio give up and I get ****ed of by pontificating assholes commenting about your circumstances when they have no idea whatsoever the circumstances are.

    I'd rant some more but I'm working at clients machine with a left handed mouse and I've already eamiled the contents to my own email accounts.

    I've got other thing to do after I implemenet this policy here.

    h t t p : / / groups.google.com/group/IEToolbar-Group-Advanced/browse_thread/thread/bc70afa3d5b37aa9

    You will haveto remove teh spaces. I only signed up to rant and try to help with something constructive.
    Hi Alan,

    You actually have a couple options to prevent the Toolbar from being
    installed on your school's network:

    1. You can block the Toolbar through the IE policy, or blacklist
    everything and selectively whitelist specific add-ons. The relevant
    path to the add-on management policy is:

    Console Root/(Local or Global) Policy/(Computer or User Configuration)/
    Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Security
    Features/Add-on Management

    >From there, you should be able to block each add-on through its GUID.

    The Toolbar's GUID is {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F}.

    2. You mentioned not wanting students to install the Toobar because it
    shrinks the usable area of the screen. More than preventing the
    installation of just the Toolbar, you may want to prevent the
    installation of all IE BHO's in general. These can be disabled through
    group policy in the admin console. There's an IE key that disables
    BHO's at:

    Console Root/(Local or Global) Policy/(Computer or User Configuration)/
    Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet
    Control Panel/Advanced Page/Allow third-party browser extensions

    Setting that to "Disabled" will prevent all BHO's from launching.

    And for any network admins out there concerned with privacy but who
    still want to enable the Toolbar, you should be able to disable
    features like PageRank or AutoLink through the group policy file
    (that's the .ADM file that's included with the Toolbar for
    Enterprise).

    auntiemikerowsoft, May 14, 2010
  11. Charles

    mpleg

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    If you are on network that is part of an AD you control IE through group policies. If you go to the group policy manager and then edit the default policy you can then go to the GPO for Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Toolbars and you can loch the current toolbars once you have it the way you want, and if you go to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Security Features\... you can then set it so users can't install new add-ons unless you have approved them in he add-ons list.
    Some of the same things can be set on the local machine policy editor but if you are using the local machine gpo you will have to set it on each individual machine which is a real pain in the backside.

    mpleg, Nov 14, 2012