blackout against SOPA and PIPA

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Jan 17, 2012.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Jan 17, 2012

  2. Peter

    Dave Doe Guest

    Dave Doe, Jan 17, 2012

  3. Frank Williams, Jan 17, 2012
  4. Peter

    Geopelia Guest

    Geopelia, Jan 18, 2012

  5. All ready has..

    Dont use P2P

    Frank Williams, Jan 18, 2012
  6. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Previously, the USA has been fairly successful at getting their interests
    looked after in various "free" trade agreements (like the one Australia
    signed up to a few years back). The current one is TPPA which the NZ
    government is negotiating its agreement to.

    Unfortunately, the details of the TPPA negotiations are kept secret, so we
    don't know if it would be detrimental to NZ or not. But why would they keep
    it secret if it was good news for us?
    http://tppwatch.org/what-is-tppa/
    http://publicaddress.net/speaker/tppa-its-extreme/

    Peter, Jan 18, 2012
  7. Perhaps ... but it *will* return in some form. Corporations love it so it
    will be back. :)

    Bet on it. It will be called "trade initiatives" ... or harmonisation or
    something similar ... but we can certainly expect to see this kind of thing
    here more in the future. And yes, it must be resisted.

    Could be worse ... could be doing what India is and colelcting fingerprints
    and retinal scans etc from everyone. :) :)

    Unbelieveable ... though it's not 1 april. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 18, 2012
  8. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Yes, they call it a free trade agreement, but it is actually a restricted
    trade agreement, with the restrictions in favour of the USA.

    Peter, Jan 18, 2012

  9. I think you know that.

    You can be easily traced if you are dnloading copy right files..

    Frank Williams, Jan 18, 2012
  10. Peter

    turk Guest

    turk, Jan 19, 2012

  11. Yes $3.5 Million is what I have read yesterday..

    Frank Williams, Jan 19, 2012
  12. Peter

    Geopelia Guest

    They have just caught the alleged culprits right here in New Zealand.
    So there will be no need for these bills.

    I wonder if they will be made to pay back the copyright fees they are
    alleged to have defrauded.

    It should be an interesting trial. One for future law books.

    Geopelia, Jan 20, 2012

  13. They did not defraud any one its the dnloaders that did, any was its
    all crap and nothing was lost at all..

    A dnloaded file does not mean a lost sale at all, this is the crap we
    are being fed by the Yanks.

    Frank Williams, Jan 21, 2012
  14. Peter

    Geopelia Guest

    I read books off the monitor from Project Gutenberg. Those are free.

    Is there anything free for films like that?

    Geopelia, Jan 21, 2012
  15. Only this morning an american lawyer said on the radio some thing like ...
    "temporary set back" or "temporary delay" to the legislation ...

    :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 23, 2012
  16. Peter

    Geopelia Guest

    I don't know. Perhaps the old classics are somewhere on the internet.
    I doubt if any films still doing the rounds of cinemas would be available.

    Does anybody know?

    I'd like to see the black and white wartime films again, "Mrs Miniver" and
    RAF and Navy films. etc.
    Those were great. Today we would find the acting very corny though. No swear
    words, and the propaganda is rather obvious.
    Today's special effects are missing, of course. Many UK ones were made at
    Elstree.
    Triangle sometimes has films from that era.

    There is youtube, but that only goes a few minutes.

    Geopelia, Jan 24, 2012
  17. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Jan 24, 2012