    took the notebook to Geek Squad before she came home and was told by Geek
    Squad that the motherboard is bad. Is there something else I should try
    before telling her that Geek Squad may be right.

    William J. Lunsford, Dec 26, 2008

  2. William J. Lunsford

    John O Guest

    Pull out the battery. If you can get to it, pull the internal battery too.
    Check that internal battery's voltage, probably should be 3V, or google the
    type and see what it's supposed to be. Put it back in if it's good and
    restart the system. Sometimes just pulling all the batteries out can reset a
    locked up mobo.

    If that doesn't do it, try removing the HDD and restart. Are there any
    mini-PCI cards attached under doors on the bottom of the machine? Pull them
    out and try again.

    If nothing works, the geeks are probably right. Check the prices on new
    laptops before replacing the mobo on an older one. You can transfer data
    from laptop HDDs with a cheap USB adapter, basically you convert the old
    laptop's HDD into an external USB drive.

    If there's data on the HDD you need to keep, tell the geeks not to lose it.
    Make them promise, and if they say no ask to talk to the head geek at the
    store. Don't let them take the lazy road.

    Good Luck!

    -John O

    John O, Dec 29, 2008