Black screen during XP Pro startup & Mup.sys?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Winston Smith, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. A neighbour asked me to help him out with a computer problem, and I'm
    writing this in this hope somebody has had a similar problem, and can
    offer advice. I'll be returning at 4pm tomorrow and intend to reinstall
    Windows if I can't fix it. (I'd rather not if it can be helped.)

    The problem:

    The monitor goes black for 2 to 3 minutes between boot graphics and
    "Welcome Screen". (WinXP Pro) Computer runs as normal (quite fast)
    otherwise, unless you try to install software, when it throws errors
    back at you. It didn't do this before, and seems to occur when
    setup.exe programs try to decompress files.

    What I discovered:

    Several anti-virus products had evidently been uninstalled to make way
    for Norton Internet Security 2006. That has partially installed for
    whatever reason -- I assume something went wrong during the process.
    Could this be the cause?

    What I tried:

    Booting into Safe Mode. The system seemed to hang for a while at the
    file: Mup.sys, causing me to suspect that this is what's causing the
    black screen during normal boot.

    Uninstalling all AV software and deleting AV startup program entries
    from registry and startup folder. (Some had been left behind. Other
    program entries seemed pretty inoccuous: WinMX, etc.)

    Scanning the disk: Attempting to detect & recover bad sectors. This
    finished without reporting any errors.

    The problem remains. Sound familiar?

    Winston Smith, Dec 15, 2005

  2. Winston Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Winston Smith spewed forth:
    Did you get that Norton crap off? I'd bet that's the problem. Here's a link
    to their removal tool:
    <http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...56edd0061c0a4&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=>

    (or http://makeashorterlink.com/?K56D1425C)

    Run msconfig and uncheck anything from Symantec and/or Norton, and anything
    else that 1) you don't recognise or 2) you don't need. See how it boots. If
    it's better, work on getting those items permanently un-installed.

    After you get it running, use that Norton install CD for skeet. Shoot it so
    it doesn't put anyone else into this much trouble.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 16, 2005

  3. Gotta love Norton. The Symnrt.exe file wouldn't load and kept returning
    an error that isn't listed in Symantec's support pages. So I followed
    through with the rest of the steps and...
    ....I disabled everything from starting up that wasn't essential (the
    only AV related entries belonged to Grisoft, which the uninstall program
    hadn't removed)...but we still had the nuisance black screen and still
    couldn't install anything due to (what seems to me) a permissions problem.
    Yep. After two hours messing about, I advised him to reinstall XP from
    scratch, which I did for him of course, having to reinstall all his
    hardware, setup his internet connection, etc. And now he's returning
    Norton Internet Security 2006 to the store for a refund.

    Thanks for the help. It was worth trying the uninstall, even though it
    didn't work out. Absolutely amazing that you have to resort to
    formatting the HDD to get rid of anti-virus software.

    Winston Smith, Dec 16, 2005
  4. Winston Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Winston Smith spewed forth:

    Unfortunately, that's not uncommon with Norton and McAfee *home* versions.
    I've never had a problem with the corporate versions. Probably because they
    don't "overprogram" those.

    My suggestion on AV is always get separate components (firewall, AV,
    anti-spam) from companies other than Norton and McAfee. While they used to
    be some of the best, they've because "bloatware" at best, and so system
    pervasive that they can't be removed.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 16, 2005