    wire, same result, and disconnected the hardcano's usb card reader from
    the mobo, thinking that might be sending some signal, but same result.

    confused. :(

    gimp, Feb 5, 2005

  2. gimp

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I bet you're confused. So am I. That's a really strange one, sorry, can't
    help.

    ~misfit~, Feb 5, 2005

  3. gimp

    Phil Weldon Guest

    If the CPU fan speed changes in the opposite direction when you alter the
    case fans, then perhaps

    when you slow the case fans, the air entering the CPU heatsink is warmer, so
    the CPU fan speeds up

    when you speed up the case fans, the air entering the CPU heatsink is
    cooler, so the CPU fan slows?

    Read your motherboard manual, and look for information about the system
    health monitoring chip. Also, use a program like MotherBoard Monitor. Then
    you should be able to understand what's up.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    Phil Weldon, Feb 6, 2005
  4. gimp

    pixel Guest

    ....sounds logical but the cpu fan has 3 distinct configs, its jumpered
    so that heat change won't automatically change speed, it can only run
    manually as it has in the past ;)

    mmmk. *i have fixed it* but am still not sure why it was happening
    exactly.... what i did was simply use a different PSU power lead going
    into the fan controller, now i'm using a lead that doesn't have the CPU
    controller on the same power chain from the psu. now it has no effect on
    the CPU fan.

    ?.

    how was some sorta fan control signal being sucked back through a power
    lead...?

    even more confused. :(

    pixel, Feb 6, 2005
  5. The speed of the CPU fans was probably changing when they were on the same
    wire because the Voltage across them was changing as the draw by the fan
    controller varied - I wouldn't have thought a fan controller could draw
    enough to cause a Voltage drop but that's the only reasonable explanation I
    can think of...

    Ciao...

    [UK]_Nick...

    Nick M V Salmon, Feb 7, 2005
  6. Sounds like the current spikes from one controller were being injected into
    the other one causing it's control circuit to fire at the wrong times.

    David Maynard, Feb 8, 2005