    Ferg Guest

    Has anyone else had a big drop in D/L speed?

    Ferg

    Ferg, Aug 14, 2004

  2. errr, nope.
    downloading what?

    which ISP?
    what type of connection?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Hmmm. I suppose I was a bit vague... :)

    IHUG
    256 Kb ADSL
    Downloading Stargate episodes.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Aug 15, 2004
  4. ummm, well, with bittorrent your d/l speed is usually governed by how
    many users have portions of that file available, so maybe there are just
    not as many users with that file as there used to be.

    Does BT use a static port?
    Maybe Ihug have rate limited you.
    Are you using a heap of traffic(compared to "normal" users)?
    Maybe Ihug have put you into a group of rate limited IP's.(I know of two
    ISPs that do this, well, used to do this with 128k and dialup customers
    who abused the connection)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 15, 2004
  5. You are looking for people to publically admit that they have been
    downloading pirated episodes of a television show? Or is it the case that
    they are available for download legally now?

    Andrew

    Andrew Bryson, Aug 15, 2004
  6. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    I think people could legitimately respond to my post by talking about their
    experience of downloading Linux distributions...

    Ferg

    Ferg, Aug 15, 2004
  7. Ferg

    Tim Guest

    Nope, that isn't the case - in fact, I just heard yesterday about how MGM
    have started writing nastygrams to NZ ISPs about people downloading their
    programs from BT (this was a different show - Dead Like Me, but I expect
    they are probably doing it for Stargate too).

    Tim, Aug 15, 2004
  8. Ferg

    samg Guest

    Maybe Ihug have put you into a group of rate limited IP's.(I know of two
    heh how the fek can you abuse a dialup connection? Unless unlimited doesnt
    mean unlimited, once again.

    samg, Aug 15, 2004
  9. yep, unlimited doesnt mean unlimited, no real point in going into it
    again, but you know what I mean with it, staying connected 24/7,
    treating it as a leased line, that sort of thing.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 16, 2004
  10. It never did. NEarly all dialup ISPs limit people from staying connected
    24 hours a day.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 16, 2004