    in file sharing, but Bit-torrent seems a much more community friendly
    method for big downloads than ftp etc.

    Thanks, Neil

    Neil Lee, May 8, 2004

  2. Neil Lee

    Gordon Guest

    Your on to it. Bit Torrent is the way large files are shifted around the
    internet. No longer are we all suckers, we have the file, or part of it so
    we pass it on.

    It is the next step in the evolution of the Internet, or a use of it.

    Gordon, May 8, 2004

  3. Neil Lee wrote
    yep, but if your using a router, you'll probably have to pinhole some ports.

    some routers do some fancy shit with passing the IP to an internal machine,
    bt it seems to have it's downsides too(breaking a few specs from what i have
    read about it.)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 8, 2004
  4. Neil Lee

    steve Guest

    I downloaded Knoppix 3.4 (1 disc) and Slackware 9.1 (2 discs) with Bit
    Torrent just this week.

    It works fine. You need to make sure you have opened up ports 6881 to
    6889 on your ADSL Router/firewall.
    If Xtra ius your ISP and they complain....dump them and get another
    Jetstream ISP.
    You're right....and the error correction is much better. You're less
    likely to download a 650MB coaster if you use Bit Torrent.

    steve, May 8, 2004
  5. Neil Lee

    steve Guest

    I tried to set it up, but it gave me a head-ache....so I went with the
    firewall on the router...instead of trying to pass the IP through to my
    own firewall......and it works just fine.

    Port re-direction to another PC on my internal LAN is a trivial task
    with the web interface on the router.

    "..... all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed
    to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves
    by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."
    - Thomas Jefferson

    steve, May 8, 2004
  6. Neil Lee

    Starkey Guest

    yeah i use it for tv episodes etc its great can be slow sometimes

    Starkey, May 9, 2004
  7. Neil Lee

    Dave Taylor Guest

    It is a great thing if you have a high cap, but with a 5 gig plan on a
    cable modem, I would say to stay away. You end up uploading some of your
    download, helping other to get their pieces. This eats into your plan, so
    keep a good eye on this if you have a traffic usage cap, and overage
    charges. As far as clients for .torrent files go, I really like Azureus.

    http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 9, 2004
  8. Neil Lee

    Neil Lee Guest

    Thanks to all for your informative replies.

    Cheers, Neil

    Neil Lee, May 9, 2004
  9. Neil Lee

    Craig Shore Guest

    Take a look at ABC
    http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/

    Craig Shore, May 9, 2004
  10. Neil Lee

    samg Guest

    yeah so they say but theres a lot of people going hard downloading 30GB+ a
    month until they get the speed limiter working.

    samg, May 10, 2004