Biostar M7VIZ -- BIOS is bad?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Andrew, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    I just wrote them with:

    I can't sucessfully enter BIOS without clearing the CMOS with the jumper. I
    FLASHed the BIOS several times with no change. Boots irradically, but WHEN
    it does boot, it runs like a champ! After loading Win98SE but got an error
    on initialization of "IOS" so I loaded WinXP -- drivers and all.

    If I hit <DEL> during the boot the system will either hang, display the BIOS
    screen and hang, or re-boot! NO pattern to what, or why.

    I even stripped it down to no drives and cleared CMOS. I'd get checksum
    error, enter, set optimal and save BIOS. When it reboots it will not enter
    BIOS again -- ONLY after clearing CMOS will it access BIOS.

    If there's no hope, then I'll have to return this one too. My first (Rev 5)
    wouldn't acknowledge keystrokes nor err that the keyboard was or was not
    present. This newer Rev 5.1 has the SATA RAID connectors on it! I'd LOVE
    to get it running -- it's such a full-featured board - but I need a reliable
    board ;-)

    What gives? Is this salvagable or trash? HELP!!!

    and their website replys with:

    Thank you for contacting Biostar. We will get back to you as soon as
    possible. Unfortunately, due to the large amount of emails we receive each
    day, we may not be able to reply to every request. However we will try our
    best to assist you with your problem. We appreciate your patience.
    I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 512Mb DDR333, and a 300W PS.

    Any suggestions before I incur more $$ sending THIS one back too?

    Andrew, Oct 5, 2003

  2. Andrew

    Michael-NC Guest

    Very difficult to diagnose that without running some kind of DOS diagnostic
    program or switching out the PS, ram or video card with known good units.

    Double check the settings and make sure you're not running anything out of
    spec. IOW, check the memory timings.

    You might want to DL memtest86 and run it.

    http://www.memtest86.com/

    Michael-NC, Oct 5, 2003

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    THANKS for the advice. I did (am) running it now... so far: PASS 1 w/o
    errors. The video is On-Board, and I tried another PS, a 400W from THIS
    machine, nade no difference. I feel it's a BAD BIOS chip or bad mobo, but
    this is the second one! What are the chances of 2 for 2, anyway?

    It's finicy to get it running, but once it does it's a great board!

    Any other suggestions... anybody? Should I try another copy or change to
    another manufacturer? I got this board as a combo set from Newegg for $99
    with the AMD XP 1800+ Retail box w/HSF. The reviews on their site show it's
    a good board too. Is 2 for 2 bad luck or a bad batch?

    Thanks
    Andrew

    Andrew, Oct 5, 2003
  4. Andrew

    Michael-NC Guest

    It's also possible the CPU is flakey. It's not impossible to get two bad
    mother boards in a row. I just went through it myself.

    Michael-NC, Oct 6, 2003
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Could a new BIOS chip, already FLASHED, from the manufacturer solve this? I
    mean, it doesn't make sense that it COULD EVER boot, load, and run with
    faulty CPU or motherboard? Seems it's ALL in the BIOS chip, to me?
    Thoughts?

    Thanks

    Andrew

    Andrew, Oct 6, 2003
  6. Andrew

    Michael-NC Guest

    Not true. I just got a bad XP2800 CPU that would lock up in the bios. It
    also booted and ran around 95% of the time but would cause a hard lock in XP
    from time to time. A bad MB will also boot but there will be some
    manifestation of the flaw in the OS. Either file corruption or lockups.

    Same goes true for memory or power supply. Just the fact that windows will
    boot is a feat in itself but that doesn't mean all is well.

    Try this:

    http://www.utilitygeek.com/details.php?fileid=143

    Michael-NC, Oct 6, 2003
  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    NOW I've got a question... The BIOS had been reporting the Ram as DDR333
    but NOW reports it as DDR266 and boots FINE! The CPU is a 1800+ which is a
    266 FSB (not 333 as is my other system w/the Barton core 2500+) so the
    memory SHOULD be operated as if it is PC2100 at 266Mhz, right?

    SO, I don't know if I should feel the settings were not properly
    coordinating the RAM with the CPU or if I should have noticed THAT sooner?
    THINGS may be ok now... how should/will I know. WHAT testing should I be
    doing to "burn in" the system?

    THANKS for your replys... it gave me hope after spending over 35 hours
    trying to get it working... :-(

    Andrew

    PS. Is it possible that the extended time (5 1/4 HOURS, 10 passes) I'd run
    the memory checker could have helped the board, CPU and RAM get running
    well?

    Andrew, Oct 6, 2003
  8. Andrew

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    It is highly possible to run the RAM at 333 DDR and the FSB at 266 DDR.
    The question is whether or not your RAM can /handle/ 333 DDR speeds. That
    may have been the problem all along
    Highly unlikely.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 6, 2003
  9. Andrew

    Matt Guest

    Make sure your power supply is good.

    Matt, Oct 6, 2003
  10. Andrew

    Michael-NC Guest

    I would definitely start there, considering the trouble you've had so far.
    there should be a setting in the bios for the memory.
    This app has a "burn-in" feature.

    http://www.sisoftware.net/?location=update
    Nope, broken hardware won't heal. It is possible that a loose connection
    will may be righted by the heat generated by operation but that is a long
    shot.

    Michael-NC, Oct 7, 2003
  11. Andrew

    Gunner Guest

    Well I don't know what the diff is From a M7viz and a M7VIGpro but i have
    this board with an XP1800 Over Clocked to A XP2200 rating so It may be a
    bad board or the Proc is bad try on a different board and see.

    Just my two cents
    gunner

    Gunner, Oct 29, 2003