    mrT Guest

    Basic Input Output System... or Services? Are they different things, or synonyms?

    Thanks.

    mrT, Oct 28, 2003

  2. From: (mrT)
    I believe it is System.

    I tried a dictionary search, since I tend to fail most 50/50 tests, and found
    this (for the fun of it):
    You searched for Bios

    bi|os «BY os», noun.
    1 all animal and plant life.
    2 a substance in yeast essential to its growth.

    [< Greek = life]

    here it is BIOS:
    http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cbav/fairattach.nsf/Images/
    faxsheet_jargon/$File/faxsheet_jargon.pdf

    BIOS (basic input/output system): A set of “housekeeping†instructions
    located in a special chip inside your PC, which are run when you first switch
    on
    your computer. The BIOS chip should be Y2K compliant.

    and from:
    http://www.jonstorm.com/glossary/

    (Basic Input/Output System; pr. "by-oss") A program built into every PC for
    setting up very basic things, like how many hard and floppy disks you have and
    what type they are; the first thing that loads when you start your PC. You
    usually only need to access the BIOS if you are upgrading your hardware, eg
    adding more RAM or an extra disk drive, or setting a power-on password. BIOS
    settings are stored in a special type of memory called CMOS.

    CMOS
    (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor; pr. "see-moss") A special type of
    memory which retains its data when the PC is switched off, used to store
    settings for things like what type of hard disk you have, and how much memory.
    The settings are accessed via the BIOS.

    :)

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
    - -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -

    caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 28, 2003

  3. mrT

    Night_Seer Guest

    Check this:

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=BIOS

    Night_Seer, Oct 28, 2003
  4. From: "Night_Seer" ecamacho4at hotmail dot com
    BIOS British Institute of Organ Studies

    I too like to study organs, and breasts too.

    Quoting a former supervisor:
    "It's mine and I'll wash any way I want".

    :)

    :)

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
    - -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -

    caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 29, 2003
  5. mrT

    mrT Guest

    Cool :) I thought so too, but Mike Meyers' A+ book insists it's
    Services, which I thought was kind of funny.

    mrT, Oct 29, 2003
  6. mrT

    derek / nul Guest

    IN the days of CPM, if you can remember that, it was
    Basic Input Output Subsystem

    Derek

    derek / nul, Oct 29, 2003
  7. mrT

    mrT Guest

    CPM? Was I even alive when that was around?

    mrT, Oct 30, 2003
  8. mrT

    V W Wall Guest

    Going way back, (1982), my CP/M books refer to CBIOS as a set of: "Customized
    Basic Input and Output Subroutines". Although BIOS's are even more customized
    than the were then, the "C", has been dropped. Most recent references are to
    "Basic Input/Output System".

    Take a look at this biography of Gary Kildall, to see where it all started.
    There's still a lot of CP/M in the latest Windows.

    http://www.cadigital.com/kildall.htm

    Virg Wall

    V W Wall, Oct 30, 2003
  9. mrT

    V W Wall Guest

    My old CP/M books, (I still have a half dozen), show it as:
    Basic Input/Output Subroutines.

    Virg Wall

    V W Wall, Oct 30, 2003
  10. mrT

    V W Wall Guest

    Here's another set of historical documents about CP/M et al:

    http://www.maxframe.com/CPM.HTM

    Interesting reading.

    Virg Wall

    V W Wall, Oct 31, 2003