    I'm on my way to Fry's for a motherboard. If I can read the ad right, I
    found one for under $40 that has a $10 rebate. The machine only does
    business apps in a real estate office, so it doesn't need very much.

    Jeff Strickland, May 18, 2010

  2. New MB w/ processor, $38.25 (minus $10.00 mail-in rebate), 2G RAM, $46.00

    New board works perfectly, and well enough for the business application
    where it will be installed.

    The CD drive does not work. I can put a disc into the drive and nothing
    shows up. I took another drive and plugged it in, and the discs are read.

    The new MB comes a CD that contains all of the drivers that I needed but
    could not get with the MB that I had when I started this project.

    The MB is an MSI G31TM-P21, with the Celeron E3300 processor. On sale at
    Fry's Electronics.

    Jeff Strickland, May 19, 2010

  3. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    Nice going.
    $28.25 for a new mb with a cpu - can't beat that

    - Bobb -, May 19, 2010
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    And it's a decent processor, as it is a dual core and runs at 2.5GHz.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116264

    Motherboard picture.

    http://www.msi.com/uploads/prod_b__20100211141113.jpg

    The motherboard is even rated to take a quad. But the manual
    claims it is limited to no more than a 95W processor.

    http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodcpu2&prod_no=1833&maincat_no=1

    It has a dip switch on the motherboard, for overclocking. Crazy...
    Just a bit overly optimistic. When I tried something like that
    here (FSB jump step), I needed a voltage boost.

    Paul

    Paul, May 19, 2010
  5. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest