    no less
    just me
    (cheap at twice the price...)

    slumpy [not dumb enough to post from , May 22, 2004

  2. <not being able to remove from my head the image of ants smelling each
    other's butts for identification purposes>

    "Hey, is that Ralph, over there?" "I dunno...lemme go sniff his ass.
    Be right back..."

    Blinky the Shark, May 22, 2004

  3. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    Bryan Guest

    lol

    Bryan, May 23, 2004
  4. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yup. The little black ones that creep into my kitchen smell *really* bad
    when I squish 'em...the big black ones in the back yard don't hardly stink
    at all...

    Toolman Tim, May 23, 2004
  5. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    Richard Guest

    There are over 300 different varieties of ants. Each one has a unique scent.
    Some have no scents at all.
    Were you referring to a specific variety and if so what variety is that
    please?
    Without specific details including physical size, number of legs, how many
    teeth, number of hairs and such, we can not be certain which one you mean.
    And most importantly, male or female?

    Richard, May 23, 2004
  6. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    Richard Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    Yeah but it's those ones that stare down at you sizing you up for food are
    the worst.

    Richard, May 23, 2004
  7. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    geopelia Guest

    To humans, the smell of biting ants, like the smell of angry honey bees, is
    of formic acid.
    Some New Zealand ants don't bite or sting, they just become a nuisance
    getting into the house.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, May 23, 2004
  8. Yes. As an ant travels, it leaves a scent trail behind. This can be used by
    other ants of the same kind to follow the lead ant to sources of food, and
    by enemy ants to find ... a source of food.

    Gary G. Taylor, May 23, 2004
  9. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    docmill Guest

    Who do you think invented pic-nics?
    As an aside to Slumpy, why not just name them, it would be so much easier.

    docmill, May 23, 2004
  10. ....and seconds before the explosion, Richard emerged from the bunker
    carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:
    Hang on, I'll get my magnifying glass and have a look....oh shit.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy [not dumb enough to post from , May 23, 2004
  11. ....and seconds before the explosion, docmill emerged from the bunker
    carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:
    I tried, but when I got to Zargath #143 it started to get confusing.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy [not dumb enough to post from , May 23, 2004
  12. ....and seconds before the explosion, Gary G. Taylor emerged from the bunker
    carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:
    Aaaah - but does /that/ ant smell different to his brother ?

    And do ant-snifferdogs have to wear some sort of nose filter to prevent
    inhalation of the suspect ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy [not dumb enough to post from , May 23, 2004
  13. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    docmill Guest

    http://wondersmith.com/heroes/index.htm

    You deserve a break today.

    docmill, May 23, 2004
  14. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    docmill Guest

    http://www.hi-d.com/issue1/jb0.html
    Give ya sompin ta dew.

    docmill, May 23, 2004
  15. An Ant Named Zargath143 ... sounds like the title of a sci-fi story.

    Gary G. Taylor, May 23, 2004
  16. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    docmill Guest

    docmill, May 23, 2004
  17. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    geopelia Guest

    Go to the ant thou sluggard, consider her ways and be wise.

    geopelia, May 23, 2004
  18. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Ah slumpy, having been an ANTique dealer I can wax informative on this
    subject for you.

    There are at least 10,000 known species of ants, all of which have six
    legs of three joints and brains about equivalent to a kiddie porn
    collector (about 250k brain cells.) I sometimes feel that all 10,000
    species live in my backyard and thoroughly enjoy a BBQ.

    They do indeed use the sense of smell to mark the trail to their food
    supply, and to distinctively mark their own nests. The border guards
    if you like, check each entrant's scent - the wrong smell, and you get
    attacked.

    Because they have two eyes, each made up of many smaller ones, at one
    stage during our research we looked at identifying each ant by using
    retinal scans, but unfortunately for various reasons this proved to be
    impractical. The ants kept removing the scanner, and then we
    discovered as all the ants in a particular colony sharged the same
    parentage retinal differences were minimal. In the end we decided to
    stick with the old and tested method of tattooing each ant with a
    number. This does entail a lot of work because each ant only lives for
    around 45 to 60 days, but what the hell, we had Government funding.

    As an aside, are you aware that they actually use a well defined
    counting system based on the number six? This makes sense as they have
    no digits on their limbs, so just as we developed base ten for our
    system based on two hands each with five fingers they based theirs on
    six legs with no digits.

    It is all fascianting stuff.

    Oldus Fartus, May 23, 2004
  19. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    slumpy [not dumb enough to post from @shaw.ca] wrote:

    I think I can see where you are going. Are you investigating the case
    of the two ants in the bar you mentioned the other day?

    Surely between the horse and the ducks someone should be able to help
    with more information or you could even approach the BBC to see if their
    equipment is able to detect emissions from the ant's antennae.

    Oldus Fartus, May 23, 2004
  20. slumpy [not dumb enough to post from

    Richard Guest

    I wonder if that explains why when you're on the road and see 3 swift trucks
    in a row, if the other two are following the scent of the first.
    The lead driver winds up driving his truck over a cliff and the other two
    follow.
    I don't think ants are that stupid are they?

    Richard, May 23, 2004