Binding CPU to Network Adapter?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Chris M, Nov 17, 2008.

  1. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm reading the MS training kit book for 70-297 which I have to say
    contains some bizarre example situations. For example, one suggested use
    for a remote access server is to provide public access to a shared
    folder that contains job accouncements, and potential employees could
    connect to this share over the Internet to view the job descriptions!

    Erm, here's an alternative, there's this great thing called the Web
    which allows you to advertise stuff like this, with the added bonus that
    it can be indexed by search engines... what a completely weird example,
    and so far removed from the real world that it's just laughable. There's
    lots more stuff like this in the book. I hope I pass the exam, I don't
    want to have to read through this again!

    Anyway, rant over. The real reason I'm here is that one of the things
    the book mentions is that you can make a multi-CPU VPN server more
    efficient by binding individual CPUs to network cards. I did a quick
    Google and it does indeed seem that it is possible, but I can't seem to
    find out how to do it. Anyone know? I'm just curious.

    Cheers,

    Chris M, Nov 17, 2008

  2. Chris M

    Wayne Guest

    Interrupt Affinity
    Interrupt affinity means binding of interrupts from a specific device to
    specific processor(s) in a multiprocessor server. This enforces running the
    ISR and DPC routines on the said processor(s). Because network connections
    and file server sessions all stay on the same network adapter, binding
    interrupts from the network adapter to a processor allows for processing of
    incoming packets (server message block (SMB) requests, data) on a specific
    set of processors, improving locality and scalability. You cannot configure
    affinity on single-processor computers.
    The Interrupt-Affinity Filter (IntFiltr) tool allows you to change the
    CPU-affinity of the interrupts in a system.
    Using this utility, you can direct the interrupts of any device to a
    specific processor or set of processors (as opposed to always sending
    interrupts to any CPU in the system). Note that different devices can have
    different interrupt-affinity settings.

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz
    MCNGP Silver