Bi-directional parallel port support in Win XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jerry Rivers, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    I have a home-built PC and Windows XP Professional.

    I cannot set my parallel port to bi-directional - that check
    box is greyed out for my printer properties.

    My printer is an HP 1220C inkjet. It prints fine but I cannot
    use the Toolbox that came with the driver to monitor my ink
    supply because XP says my port is incapable of bi-directional
    traffic.

    My computer is set up for dual-boot with Win 98 and Win XP. I
    tried using the Toolbox in Win 98 and it works fine.

    I cannot see anything wrong in XP's Device Manager and don't
    know how to un-grey the setting for my LPT1: port so it will
    run bi-directional.

    Any help you be appreciated.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Jerry Rivers

    Harrison Guest

    Check the BIOS settings for the port.

    Harrison, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    Harrison, the first thing I did was check my BIOS setting for
    the port. There is no setting with my BIOS that controls uni-
    or bi-directional support.

    Besides, Win 98 recognizes the port and bi-directional but
    Win XP does not. Don't know why that would be, so I asked for
    help.

    Thanks.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Jerry Rivers

    HamMan Guest

    <snip>

    It will be called 'EPP' or something like that, change it so that it is both
    that and ECP

    Hamman

    HamMan, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Jerry Rivers

    Harrison Guest

    "EPP + ECP" is the bidirectional setting.

    Harrison, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    My port was already set to ECP + EPP, which is the way I
    think it is supposed to be for full bi-directional support.

    Again, 98 works fine but the bi-directiona check-mark for the
    Properties of my printer is greyed out.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 14, 2004
  7. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    I went to www.asus.com, the makers of my motherboard and
    looked at their support FAQs and downloads of updated
    drivers. I did not find anything specific to Win XP not
    recognizing an ECP+EPP Parallel Port as bi-directional.

    Also, I have searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base and come
    up empty.

    Again, according to System Device Manager, my LPT1: is
    running fine, no problems. I just can't set it for bi-
    directional so my printer Toolbox will work - it is useful
    because it tells me graphically how much ink is left in each
    cartridge.

    If anyone could explain 1) why 98 recognizes the port and XP
    doesn't and 2) what to do to get XP to recognize the port as
    bi-directional, I'd be appreciative.

    Thanks in advance.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Jerry Rivers

    ICee Guest

    You're not alone. I never noticed it before, but my HP 694C printer
    also has bidirectional support grayed out in XP. ECP+EPP is enabled in
    my BIOS also and it's a new motherboard (Abit). I'll be interested in
    finding out why myself.

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  9. Jerry Rivers

    Boomer Guest

    Any clues here?

    From Google's archive:
    Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2FC32017
    Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?F3BC52017

    Boomer, Jan 14, 2004
  10. Jerry Rivers

    Gee Guest

    If anyone could explain 1) why 98 recognizes the port and XP

    It sounds like wrong drivers somewhere along the line. Possibly wrong
    printer or port drivers.

    Runa search on google, seen many people with same problem(including me) but
    no solution.

    This is the nearest to solution I came about:
    http://www.paperbits.com/support.asp?mid=266

    Gee

    Gee, Jan 14, 2004
  11. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    F3BC52017

    Not much in these two articles. They were mainly about what
    to do when an LPT port does not show up in Win XP.

    I went back to my BIOS and played with the various
    combinations of ECP, EPP, and ECP+EPP. I do not have the
    option of SPP, which was mentioned in another thread above.

    I see that there is at least one other XP user who has
    reported that he can't get bi-directional to work either.

    Havn't found anything in MS KB or the FAQs for my Asus mother
    board, but the problem points directly to something wrong in
    XP since Win 98 works just fine.

    Well, at least I can print!

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 14, 2004
  12. Jerry Rivers

    ICee Guest

    I tried the same thing with mine. Uninstalled the printer and the port,
    tried all combinations in BIOS (including SPP), and the port and printer
    was redetected fine, but no bi-directional support. Also tried
    different port settings in device manager with no change.
    HP does not have a driver for the printer for XP on it's web site; they
    tell you to use the driver in XP. Looks like they overlooked
    bi-directional support in this driver.

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  13. Jerry Rivers

    Boomer Guest

    Anyone ask at these groups?

    comp.periphs.printers
    microsoft.public.windowsnt.print
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev

    Just a suggestion.

    Boomer, Jan 14, 2004
  14. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    In my case, HP *did* have a driver for the 1220C specifically
    for XP. But, that's not the problem, I don't think. I think
    the printer driver is capable of bi-directional communication
    along LPT1: but Win XP doesn't recognize that the *port* is
    capable.

    This is just another *very* annoying problem I've run across
    since upgrading to XP - an O/S that everybody, including my
    best friend, Bill Gates, said would solve all of my computer
    wishes for years to come.

    Well, I went from fast LAN performance to slug slow, I have
    to run Partition Magic in Safe Mode because it doesn't like
    Nvidia's video drivers, now I have to go back to Win 98 on my
    dual-boot system to check the ink in my printer cartridges,
    etc. I could go on, but what's the use?

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 14, 2004
  15. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    My NSP apparently doesn't provide the print_fax and
    device_driver news groups so I can't post my problem there.
    Dang!

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 14, 2004
  16. Jerry Rivers

    Boomer Guest

    Ask them to add it. :) Most NSP's will gladly add a MS group.

    Boomer, Jan 14, 2004
  17. Jerry Rivers

    ICee Guest

    You're just too smart, Boomer ;)
    Looked in microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax. Most problems are with
    HP printers and lack of support in XP. Following are excerps from a
    couple of the posts:

    "Unfortunately HP Printers and Windows XP just don't go together. HP
    refuses
    point blank to provide any drivers for older printers and the basic
    drivers
    supplied with XP are just that! BASIC. No double sided printing etc.
    Even
    their newish printers like my 995 lose functionality with XP (Can't
    collate
    multi copies) and HP are just not interested. After much expense ringing
    them up and complaining I've come to agree with a few other regular
    posters... buy a HP and youv'e got a lemon!"

    "...for xp, they say to use the
    unidriv driver that comes with xp....but it stinks.
    you'll lose detail, colorsmart options, media size
    options...just about everything that made you proud to
    own a hp printer. i know i would like a better solution!!"

    That just about says it all, unfortunately.

    ICee, Jan 14, 2004
  18. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    I've asked GigaNews for dozens of new news groups. Haven't
    seen a damn one show up yet!

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 14, 2004
  19. Jerry Rivers