bgp weight calculation

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Glenn, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Here is a quicky ..

    I have 2 neighbors, and I want to change to weights on each one to have
    a bit more control on outbound traffic. The default weight is 32,768,
    and can be a number 1 - 65,535 ..

    What would be a good way to calculate what weight I want on each one when
    say I want around 65% going out one neighbor and 35% going out the other?

    ------------------------------------- -- - -
    glenn
    http://www.dallaslamers.org

    "Even if you do learn to speak correct English,
    whom are you going to speak it to?"

    #define WHO 1

    int main(void)
    {
    printf("%d r0x0rs!!!\n", WHO);
    }

    Glenn, Oct 28, 2003

  2. It always uses the route with the higher weight, it's not proportional.

    The only way to get proportional load sharing with BGP is to partition the
    routes you learn based on how much traffic goes to each prefix, and then
    make one path preferred for the prefixes with 65% of the traffic and the
    other path preferred for the remainder. This is likely to be *very*
    difficult.

    Barry Margolin, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Chainging weights are in 99% of the cases *NOT* what you want to do, as
    it's local to that router, if you have other routers running BGP, or if
    you ever will, local preference is what you want to change - but both
    weight and local pref is like a sledge hammer, often you only want to
    influence the path decisition, so often one use AS path prepending.

    /Jesper

    Jesper Skriver, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    The only way to get proportional load sharing with BGP is to partition the
    Is there another method you could recomend?

    ------------------------------------- -- - -

    Glenn, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Glenn

    Kevin Su Guest

    Cisco introduces a new feature called BGP link-bandwidth with which
    you can do uneaqual cost load sharing. Take the following commands for
    reference:
    1. enable

    2. configure {terminal | memory | network}

    3. router bgp [as-number]

    4. address-family ipv4

    5. neighbor ip-address dmzlink-bw

    Kevin Su, Oct 29, 2003