BGP - Transitive / Route-Map What am I missing.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by amyl, May 23, 2005.

  1. amyl

    amyl Guest

    I am working with BGP in a lab and I am missing something that I
    clearly don't understand.

    The lab is as follows - one site (AS1234) connected to two providers
    (7018,209).

    Again this is in a lab so please do not mind the private addresses or
    any of the other fictious info I use.

    I am using the following route-map to control outbound routing updates

    access-list 10 permit 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 15 permit 20.20.20.0 0.0.0.255

    !
    route-map AS-7018-OUTGOING permit 10
    match ip address 10
    set as-path prepend 12345
    !
    route-map AS-7018-OUTGOING permit 20
    match ip address 15
    set community 7018:20

    !Route map is applied...
    router bgp 12345
    neighbor 50.0.1.1 route-map AS-7018-OUTGOING out

    My understanding is that only the two IP blocks would be sent outbound
    and not the other routes learned by my IBGP neighbor. However in my
    lab when I do

    sh ip bgp nei <external peer> advertised-routes

    I see that I am advertising all of the partials I received from the
    other provider through my IBGP connection. What am I missing? I
    thought that if none of the conditions were met on the route-map that
    the route would be silently discarded and not redistributed.

    Amy.

    amyl, May 23, 2005

  2. wrote in @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    Try add the following to your route-map:

    route-map AS-7018-OUTGOING permit 30
    !

    Remember that in case the prefix you wish to export do no comply to your
    route-map, the prefix is not adverticed. Therefore you'll need a "permit
    all" in the end of your route-map.

    Cheers
    Lars Christensen

    Lars L. Christensen, May 23, 2005

  3. amyl

    amyl Guest

    Remember that in case the prefix you wish to export do no comply to
    your
    I may not have communicated it correctly - but I am seeing the networks
    I want to be advertised through BGP advertised to my EBGP peer. In
    addition I am seeing networks that are not matched in my route map also
    be advertised.

    Amy.

    amyl, May 23, 2005
  4. amyl

    Hansang Bae Guest

    But you're only setting the prepend, community. Are those not being
    set?

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, May 24, 2005
  5. amyl

    amyl Guest

    I am not sure what is going on now? I went back and looked and it
    appears as if the route map is only advertising what I want it to.
    It's possible I forgot to "clear ip bgp <neighbor> soft out" to update
    what I am advertising.

    Just to be sure

    access-list 10 permit 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255
    access-list 15 permit 20.20.20.0 0.0.0.255

    !
    route-map AS-7018-OUTGOING permit 10
    match ip address 10
    set as-path prepend 12345
    !
    route-map AS-7018-OUTGOING permit 20
    match ip address 15
    set community 7018:20

    This route map should only advertise the two networks listed in the
    above access list correct?

    Amy.,

    amyl, May 24, 2005