    I understand, though, that since that post contained facts that
    disagreed with your opinions, you suffered another one of your little
    reality disconnects and probably don't remember it.

    Eric Schreiber, Jun 5, 2006

  2. Ah, I see, it's cheaper so it's always better? This is the same nonsense
    and illogic that the typical AMD user uses to justify their purchase. Hey,
    it's cheaper....

    The bottom line is if the gentleman doesn't think Intel is up to the task
    then there is no reason for him to "claim" to have bought one.
    How does it do that, especially when he didn't buy the Xeon?
    Hey, don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining! We both know he's
    bullshitting, I'm not afraid to say it.
    Again, did he really? I say he didn't. And I'll take it a step further and
    say he doesn't even have an old Slot 2.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jun 5, 2006

  3. Hey, I never said anyone is wrong. I just put out the facts and let them
    make that determination on their own. Some people are smart enough to know
    they are wrong and will admit it while others will, well......

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jun 5, 2006
  4. [BnH]

    atec77 Guest

    Nah you didn't
    I might mention it was an ebay purchase.

    atec77, Jun 5, 2006
  5. [BnH]

    atec77 Guest

    :)

    atec77, Jun 5, 2006
  6. Another amazing leap to unsupported conclusions. You're amazingly good
    at that.

    "All else being equal" implies that, apart from price, the systems
    otherwise were comparable. Given that, a reasonable buyer will purchase
    the cheaper system. In this case, it was a Xeon setup.

    I'm uncertain why you're railing on about it - after all, he bought the
    system you claim is best - an Intel.

    That would be true, except he didn't say anything about it not being up
    to the task. Perhaps, using your peculiar logic skills you're somehow
    reaching that conclusion, but you're incorrect.

    Yes, Rita, but you say all sorts of absurd things. We're getting used
    to it by now.

    Eric Schreiber, Jun 5, 2006
  7. [BnH]

    Mr.T Guest

    You know that, but AMD are not surprised that most buyers don't.
    In AMD tests chosen for the purpose, maybe.
    Of course it is, just have a look how many owners believe a 2500+
    outperforms a 3GHz Pentium, when not even AMD claim that.
    Funny, I thought they were buying a CPU.
    Well it is for many applications, just not necessarily all.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Jun 5, 2006
  8. [BnH]

    Mr.T Guest

    There not, did someone say they were? But truth in advertising is a nice
    concept just the same.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Jun 5, 2006
  9. [BnH]

    Mr.T Guest

    Couldn't give a rats one way or the other. Actually I happen to think AMD
    are pretty good choice for gamers.
    Just not a fan of their deception.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Jun 5, 2006
  10. [BnH]

    Mr.T Guest

    Exactly, but not as misleading since they don't appear to be similar
    numbers.
    It is now, that's for sure.

    Mrt.

    Mr.T, Jun 5, 2006
  11. [BnH]

    Mr.T Guest

    Of course, but only one uses a number that is mistaken by many owners as the
    processor speed, when it isn't.
    Which is BS unless you state the tests used. Quite simply, similar priced
    CPU's from the various manufacturers perform better in some tests and not in
    others.
    Not an unusual situation for most consumer items really, brand zealots
    notwithstanding.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Jun 5, 2006
  12. [BnH]

    J. Clarke Guest

    Care to provide some in which it _doesn't_?
    If that was all they wanted they could save their money and get a used 8080.
    It is for _few_ applications.

    J. Clarke, Jun 5, 2006
  13. [BnH]

    J. Clarke Guest

    So how would you label such processors so that the buyer has a reasonable
    idea of the expected performance level?
    Find some tests that suggest that the AMD labelling is misleading as to the
    expected performance level.

    J. Clarke, Jun 5, 2006
  14. [BnH]

    J. Clarke Guest

    Oh, I see. You want ads that are "truthful" even if they mean that someone
    buys an inferior product as a result of a poorly understood truth.

    J. Clarke, Jun 5, 2006
  15. [BnH]

    cmyk Guest

    Perhaps some of you Intel-vs-AMD fanatics should take a cold shower, go out
    side (it's night, now), take a few pics of the moon, have a wank or two,
    then go and pore over the performance charts at:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
    and let them speak for themselves. All sorts of benchmarks there for you to
    squabble over.

    cmyk, Jun 7, 2006
  16. [BnH]

    Mr.T Guest

    Why, just as expected the results are all over the place depending on what
    you choose to measure.
    Pretty hard in those circumstances to claim any AMD as being "equivalent" to
    any Pentium IMO.
    A bit like claiming a Rolls Royce is equivalent to a Ferrari, but not saying
    to whom.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Jun 7, 2006
  17. [BnH]

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    They run Linux and the unlocked version of Mac OS X quite well, too. ;)

    Isaiah Beard, Jun 9, 2006
  18. [BnH]

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Pretty much all non-Apple hardware is so commoditized that you shouldn't
    expect any sort of significant return when selling off used equipment.
    The only reasonable course is to buy it, use it till you can't, then
    donate the equipment to some school or church and get a tax writeoff.

    Isaiah Beard, Jun 9, 2006
  19. I've never really understood this kind of holy war polarization.

    It always is, somewhere :)

    It's a shame there isn't a Photoshop specific sort of benchmark (or did
    I miss it in that long list) so we could at least see a comparison of
    the two brands in an area that is relevant to many of us.

    Eric Schreiber, Jun 9, 2006
  20. [BnH]

    MJW Guest

    Nah, you sell them to Rita for $5.00 ea, then she will resell them for
    $6.00 ea & spruik forever about the resale value of computers ( but only
    intel based ones ) :)

    MJW, Jun 9, 2006