Beware fake Sandisk card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by [BnH], Jun 1, 2006.

  1. [BnH]

    [BnH] Guest

    On May 26 2006, I won an auction in eBAY for a 2GB Sandisk Ultra 2 card for
    $46.

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7623032946

    Fair enough ... with shipping etc etc .. it ends up around AUD 90.
    eBAY seller from HK / China are known for overcharging on postage fee as
    they are actually make profit from there.
    No problems with me.

    After emails here n there, the deposit are to be made to his HSBC account.
    Deposit the $$ and within a few days [yesterday actually ... 31 May 2006 ]
    the card arrived in my local PO.

    Go home, excited as I have a big bucket of storage I put the card in my
    camera and formated it.
    Remaining frames .. 326. That's odd .. I thought 2GB card should have 318
    frames only ??

    Open my favourite Google and check for 'fake Sandisk card'.
    Well voila ... MY CARD IS A DUD !
    Disbelieve with the facts [as this card is a perfect fake .. like those
    Italian Rolexes with Mido engine inside]
    I emailed Sandisk support and got back a response from Sandisk Rusia within
    24 hours.
    They asked me to send a snap of the card from various angles for them to
    confirm it.
    Then today I was confirmed my card is a not theirs aka FAKE.

    Image of the card is availiable @ http://tinyurl.com/o6kee

    Sign of the fake card :
    - s/n is at the bottom [not the side like my previous Sandisk-es]
    - s/n starts with ASS0 prefix
    - different capacity [not confirmed but good chance that it is]

    The previous fakes was known with identifier like
    http://martybugs.net/articles/fakesandisk.cgi
    or http://members.shaw.ca/fakesandisk/
    maybe the manufacturer is getting smart and change their 'artwork'

    Following is their email :

    Hello:

    Thanks again for contacting SanDisk. I have read your email and apologize
    for any inconveniences this issue may be causing you. We are sorry to hear
    you're having problems and are here to assist you.

    Unfortunately this is a not originally manufactured by SanDisk company
    device. So i would recommend you to get refound on it at the place of
    purchase.

    If there is going to be any questions you can provide your case number:
    63xxxx

    and tell to call us, and we will explain why do we think that this product
    is not ours.

    Again, thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support. If you require
    further assistance, feel free to contact us at one of the applicable
    telephone numbers listed below.

    Best Regards,

    Konstantin M.

    SanDisk Technical Support

    USA +1 (866) 726 3475
    Russia +7(495) 795-0847
    France + 33 1 71230328
    Germany: + 49-695-0072-840
    Netherland + 31-202-015-029
    Israel: 1-809-440513
    Italy +39 (02) 696 827 25
    UK +44 (207) 3654 193
    Hong Kong 30027886
    Australia 1800 793 652 (9 to 6PM New South Wales Time)

    [BnH], Jun 1, 2006

  2. [BnH]

    BD Guest

    There are 'not as advertised' complaints you can lodge on Ebay, and on
    Paypal if that's the payment route you used.

    As well, if you paid by credit card, you _likely_ have some insurance
    for money lost by being ripped off or lied to in this way.

    BD, Jun 1, 2006

  3. [BnH]

    AZ Nomad Guest

    Never ascribe malice to that which can be just as easily explained by
    ignorance stupdity. Including your own.

    Perhaps 326 frames is what'll fit into 2G.
    Nowhere in your post do you mention if the card actually worked.

    AZ Nomad, Jun 1, 2006
  4. [BnH]

    [BnH] Guest

    I have 2 1 year old Sandisk Ultra II 2GB card that counts 318 when formated
    in this camera.
    I believe I don't have to mention if it actually works nor field test it
    anymore,
    since Sandisk [the brand holder and manufacturer incase you have no idea]
    already declared its a fake.

    [BnH], Jun 1, 2006
  5. [BnH]

    Pete D Guest

    I bought one of these and mine works alright and loads up with 2Gig of data.
    The seller has been disallowed on ebay so getting back to the seller is
    probably not an option. I paid AU$75 for the 2Gig card and expected that it
    would be a fake. By the time I dick around trying to get satisfaction though
    Ebay and Paypal I am not sure it is worth the effort.

    Pete D, Jun 1, 2006
  6. [BnH]

    F Guest

    I have three currently on their way back to the sellers.

    Sandisk tell me that they do not use holograms on their SD cards and the
    serial numbers start with just two letters, not three.

    HTH.

    F, Jun 1, 2006
  7. [BnH]

    bmoag Guest

    I went to China last summer. The markets are overflowing with fake Sandisk
    cards there. Retailers in Hong Kong shops tend to have legitimate items, but
    I would not count on that. As an experiment I bought a 1gb Sandisk II card
    in Beijing bargained down to a ridiculously low price. I would not have been
    surprised if it did not work at all. It was actually a 512 mb slow speed
    card that so far seems to work for what it actuall is. Sandisk is well aware
    of this colossal counterfeit market but seems unconcerned. The sheer number
    of these cards out there is such that eventually they will filter into the
    American retail sector. If Sandisk continues to ignore them and tell
    consumers "too bad" I doubt Sandisk will survive, not that I give a rat's
    behind.

    bmoag, Jun 2, 2006

  8. What exactly do you propose that Sandisk do about it? They're not the
    ones creating the counterfeits, and they certainly aren't responsible
    for the victims of the counterfeiting.

    Eric Schreiber, Jun 2, 2006
  9. I purchased a 1GB from the same seller.
    When i check properties on the card in a pc it tells me 1gb.
    It has no s/n on it at all.
    Just checked my other 1GB cards and they all have s/n .
    Looking at them side by side it looks a little "rougher". Maybe it a slow
    card and not a ultra II.
    oh well, lucky it was cheap. $50 delivered.
    The seller is still on ebay.

    How do u what, Jun 2, 2006
  10. [BnH]

    Beefhooked Guest

    I just bought a Sandisk Extreme3 - 2gb C/F from ebay and all appears fine
    but has me wondering why the counterfeiters haven`t bothered copying these?

    Beefhooked, Jun 2, 2006
  11. just received two 1G cards direct from Adorama in NY, a reputable
    supplier, one would think. Neither card has a serial number, so look on
    the surface to be counterfeit. But they were cheap and they work (at the
    moment).
    Phil

    Phil Kempster, Jun 2, 2006
  12. I just bought two 1G cards from Adorama - no serial numbers!
    Phil

    Phil Kempster, Jun 2, 2006
  13. [BnH]

    Rob Guest

    Yes I also think that is correct as I have just bought 2 2G CF cards
    EXIII from B&H on the bottom, a number, which is the same on both
    cards. I think that this may be a batch number not a serial. Then Made
    in China.

    Also bought an EXIII 1G from Hong Kong this had hologram on the outer
    box and a gold tag with a serial number issued by the supplier in Hong
    Kong. This card was Made in China.

    Rob, Jun 2, 2006
  14. [BnH]

    [BnH] Guest

    I paid $90 expecting to get the real stuff , simply because Sandisk Extreme
    3 2GB are selling for $150 in Indonesia.

    upto now .. the seller have not made any reply since my query.

    [BnH], Jun 2, 2006
  15. [BnH]

    Rob Guest

    Some shops in HK were warning of this a few weeks a go when I was there
    and to make sure that they had the correct labels and warranty on the boxes.

    That is not a serial but a batch number which is on the bottom of the card.

    Rob, Jun 2, 2006
  16. [BnH]

    Rob Guest

    Who's chips are in the card?

    Rob, Jun 2, 2006
  17. [BnH]

    Rob Guest

    At B&H the Ex III 2G are 109 USD ($146 AUD)

    Rob, Jun 2, 2006
  18. [BnH]

    Rich Guest

    Which is why more and more you see on Ebay "Will not accept bids from
    Eastern European or Asian destinations other than Japan." The Third
    World and the ex-commie
    world are a BIG RISK when doing ANY kind of business.

    Rich, Jun 2, 2006
  19. [BnH]

    cmyk Guest

    Maybe it was a 'Genuine' 'Sandisk' card. That is 'Genuine' brand's 'Sandisk'
    model.

    Reminds me of a company that used to flog 'Genuine' parts for Honda etc .
    The company name was 'Genuine Parts' and the boxes were labelled "Genuine
    Parts - Honda", or something such.

    Cheers

    cmyk, Jun 2, 2006
  20. [BnH]

    Ken Chandler Guest

    The point is that they need to do something. People pay a premium for
    Sandisk cards due to the brand recognition and the good will associated with
    that recognition.

    1) If your average punter can't be sure whether their next Sandisk purchase
    is a genuine product they may well look to another brand, one without the
    risk of buying what amounts to a no-name card.

    2) If these "Sandisk" cards start failing prematurely then owners blissfully
    unaware they are counterfeit may lose confidence in the Sandisk brand, and
    tell their friends, post to Usenet, rally in the streets ...

    Either option is not good for Sandisk. What can they do?

    Run an advertising campaign warning of counterfeit memory cards. Modify the
    design of their cards in conjunction with the ad campaign, include some
    counterfeit deterrents - a different color plastic for the card itself
    (Sandisk red?), a software based test utility, special labels. Sure they
    aren't foolproof measures but at least they would be seen to be doing
    something. Changes also add an additional cost for the counterfeiters,much
    more than just whacking a different label on a no-name card.
    No, they are responsible for protecting their brand.

    KC
    http://kenchandler.com

    Ken Chandler, Jun 2, 2006