better Kodak reorganization

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dale, May 6, 2013.

  1. Dale

    Dale Guest

    I read that Kodak is going to focus on printing, packaging and software

    I read they are selling their film business but keeping their motion
    picture business

    what the strategic planners their should do is

    1) map out ALL the imaging workflows
    2) indicate all participations, systems or products
    3) identify customers and partners
    4) build business cases

    and don't forget

    5) ask why there aren't participations
    6) keep up with changes in workflows
    7) central system offerings are best to vie
    8) create better workflows

    Dale, May 6, 2013

  2. Dale

    nospam Guest

    they invented it and they knew it would replace film, they just didn't
    expect it would be so quick.

    nospam, May 6, 2013

  3. Dale

    Martin Brown Guest

    That is a slightly unkind caricature but unfortunately is also not too
    wide of the mark. I was an early adopter of Kodaks Pro PhotoCD scanning
    service which at the time was incredible. Drum scanning was a real PITA.

    Then they launched Kodak PictureCD which was ISTR a sub 2Mpixel poxily
    compressed JPEG with no redeeming features. Most users of PhotoCD bought
    a Nikon scanner after one experience of getting useless PictureCD
    confusion after asking for PhotoCD and *NEVER* went back.

    Kodak marketing was brilliant at shooting itself in the foot with both
    barrels. I bought my newly released DC-120 digicam as remaindered stock
    because they launched the numerical permutation DC-210 only weeks later.

    If you wanted to sow confusion it is hard to imagine a better strategy.

    The film guys really were in control and didn't want digital spoiling
    their party. They failed to spot that the winds of change were coming.

    Martin Brown, May 6, 2013
  5. Dale

    Martin Brown Guest

    That is a slightly unkind caricature but unfortunately is also not too
    wide of the mark. I was an early adopter of Kodaks Pro PhotoCD scanning
    service which at the time was incredible. Drum scanning was a real PITA.

    Then they launched Kodak PictureCD which was ISTR a sub 2Mpixel poxily
    compressed JPEG with no redeeming features. Most users of PhotoCD bought
    a Nikon scanner after one experience of getting useless dealer PictureCD

    Martin Brown, May 7, 2013
  6. Dale

    Steven_Lord Guest

    *snip*

    Ladies and gentlemen, this doesn't have anything to do with MATLAB, so
    please remove comp.soft-sys.matlab from the newsgroups list when you reply
    to this thread. Thanks!

    Steven_Lord, May 7, 2013
  7. Dale

    nospam Guest

    try different software, such as vuescan. nikon's software was pretty
    bad.

    nospam, May 7, 2013
  8. Dale

    RichA Guest

    There are numerous examples of large companies being wholly and
    illogically resistant to change. Sony, GM, Bell, the list of
    casualties and soon-to-be casualties goes on.

    RichA, May 8, 2013
  9. Dale

    Martin Brown Guest

    Martin Brown, May 8, 2013
  10. Alfred Molon:
    Is it really so bad? Here's some of my scans, using
    a Nikon Coolscan at 2900 dpi:

    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59075928/sergey02.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59075928/sergey26.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59075928/sergey29.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59075928/sergey36.jpg

    And no, it is not complicated once you learn to use
    it.

    Anton Shepelev, May 8, 2013
  11. Dale

    Martin Brown Guest

    I still have one of the old 35mm design (hence the 70% crop). It is less
    of a faff than firing up tetchy SCSI peripherals on an old machine.

    Martin Brown, May 8, 2013
  12. Dale

    nospam Guest

    what does a full frame sensor have to do with using a scanner?

    if you're thinking of slide duplicators (lens, bellows, slide holder),
    those work on fx or dx, but it's not as good as a scanner.
    having both photocd and picturecd was stupid.

    nospam, May 8, 2013
  13. Dale

    J. Clarke Guest

    Bell was not done in by "change", it was done in by lawyers.

    J. Clarke, May 8, 2013
  14. Dale

    J. Clarke Guest

    I think your scanner is busticated. It looks like the green on the left
    side of that shot is way, way out of register.

    J. Clarke, May 8, 2013
  15. In my opinion as a former employee of a Bell System subsidiary, the
    company was not done in by change, and lawyers may have helped do it in,
    but were not the primary cause.

    My perception is that the old timers from the time of Theodore Vail
    onward, who understood the business, had all died or retired, or were
    forced out by their age. They were replaced by business administration
    types whose principle achievements in college was their abilities on the
    football teams of second string leagues. They were all cheering, slogans
    (Ready, Fire, Aim was a pet peeve of mine) and win the next quarter.
    They did not understand the business, they had no vision beyond the next
    quarterly report. They wanted to boost the value of their stock options
    and they did not care what happened to the company afterwards. Après
    moi, le déluge. And that is what they got. It was so sad to see this
    over 100 year old institution destroyed by the rot from within. A tragedy.

    Jean-David Beyer, May 9, 2013
  16. Dale

    J. Clarke Guest

    So you're saying that the MCI lawsuit that resulted in the breakup of
    AT&T into 7 different companies and forced the divestiture of Western
    Electric and Bell Labs was not the major factor in the decline of AT&T?

    J. Clarke, May 9, 2013
  17. Dale

    Martin Brown Guest

    Not sure it is the scanners fault so much as the original source
    material never having been in good focus. Take a look at top right and
    edge where there is scratch damage to the slide - that is tack sharp.

    When I got my Nikon Coolscan I compared it against PCD scans and found
    that it was very slightly better than the 6Mpixel 16 base scans. eg

    http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/photo/pcd/photob.htm

    The auto white balance tended to over correct to "true" white but that
    was easily fixed in a manual adjustment. Scans using default settings.

    Martin Brown, May 9, 2013
  18. Alfred Molon:
    Accept my envy on having a 4000-dpi scanner. Your
    whole scan looks absolutely out-of-focus: for I see
    no sign of grain which must be present at this reso-
    lution in the form of brightness-and-color noise.
    Your scanner seems to have been not focused proper-
    ly. Scanner software (Nikkon's and VueScan) usually
    has a setting to disable autofocus and let the user
    choose the exact point whereupon he wishes to set
    the focus. This may be preferred for two reasons:

    1. To choose a spot on which it is easier to fo-
    cus. It should have some medium contrast,
    rather than being high-contrast or monotone.

    2. To compensate for film curl by focusing at
    different points, noting the suggested set-
    tings and finally setting the focus manually
    to a value somewhere between the extremes.
    With some experience you'll learn how to de-
    termine which deviations of the film from a
    plane are incompatible with sharp scanning.
    In this case a frame or glass holder should be
    used instead of the standard strip holder, or
    you should flatten the film, for which several
    techniques exist. Or focus on the most impor-
    tant object, sacrificing the backgroud and
    what's already out of focus on the shot.

    But even with autofocus the result must be way bet-
    ter.

    I liked the photo, especally after cropping it a bit
    from both top and bottom.

    Anton Shepelev, May 9, 2013
  19. J. Clarke:
    This has nothing to do with the scanner itself. It
    only has a linear CCD array accepting light from
    red, green, and blue LEDs, whose intensity may be
    individually adjusted so that, say, a near-transpar-
    ent region on the film scans as nearly white (245,
    245, 245). This gives a good starting point for
    white balance and allows for a more effective use of
    the scanner's dynamic range in all channels.

    But the device has no knowledge of color spaces and
    converts the result to a user-selectable color space
    using some "film profile". I avoid it and scan into
    linear RGB, without any color-space conversions.
    Vuescan lets me do it. The result is an RGB image
    obtained by downmixing raw data from the CCD.

    To open that image properly in Photoshop, a linear
    (gamma=1.0) color space should be defined. Note,
    that inverting a negative is not a linear operation
    and should be done as:

    y = 1 / x.

    Anton Shepelev, May 9, 2013
  20. Martin Brown:
    No, what you see there a pixel-sharp artifact of the
    scratch-removal algorithm, digital ICE. That
    scratch/tear was too wide for it. It uses a fourth,
    infrared, channel to detect scrathces and retouch
    them. You can scan in four channels and use IR in-
    formation later in Photoshop to do the job better.

    Anton Shepelev, May 9, 2013