    so I would also need to buy a switch or hub :(

    Is there anything that will all of these criteria for me ?

    Thanks

    Jim, May 3, 2006

  2. Jim

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I can thoroughly recommend the Fritz!Box - I have the non-wireless version
    and it's been faultless. A small 4/5 port switch will only cost you a
    minimal amount, this is what I have done and the ability to set up
    multiple accounts (the Fritz will accommodate up to 10) far outweighs the
    disadvantage of the small extra cost.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 3, 2006

  3. Jim

    paul123 Guest

    I have a 716g (its predecessor) and you CAN have 2 voip accounts, but
    the big however is that they have to be with the same voip provider,
    which is what you were saying, I think. Don't know if this has changed
    in the 716wl. Multi-account/provider capability can of course be had by
    using sip phones, ATAs or an asterisk box.

    Pricewise it's not a bad deal, though the fritz!box does look to be a
    mighty fine piece of kit.

    paul123, May 3, 2006
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Ivor do you know if its possible to use the lan port as a wan port ??
    At the moment I have NTL cable but in next 6 months or so will be going to
    adsl
    So would like to connect the fritz!box to my existing router until I change
    to ADSL

    Thanks

    Jim, May 3, 2006
  5. Thus spaketh Jim:

    I'd stay with NTL, especially now they are removing the caps on all
    services, a lot less headache than ADSL.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, May 3, 2006
  6. Jim

    M.Dexter Guest

    Looking like it was Telewest that have taken over NTL in that case
    unless of course they feared a backlash from us TW customers if they
    had tried to impose any caps on us .

    M.Dexter, May 3, 2006
  7. Yup, I've done it. The downside is that the LAN port becomes the WAN port,
    and no LAN ports are available then. Local PCs can only be connected through
    USB and WLAN.
    As a matter of fact, if you don't need to network PCs together, a 10MB
    Ethernet on USB connection is enough.
    Anyway, my PCs were already networked through a 802.11g WLAN (54 MB) P2P
    connection before, now the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN is in the equation.
    The result is that my network setup is:
    - 4 MB Blueyonder BB cablemodem feeding the Fritz LAN port;
    - Telewest POTS phone line in the Fritz Analog port;
    - Two internal phone lines connected to the two outgoing Fritz Phone ports;
    - 6 different VoIP accounts registered and active;
    - 2+ PCs 802.11g+ wireless network.
    At a price a bit more over 100 quid w/VAT, is a vast improvement in the
    available services around the house! Recommended.

    P.S. Some of the features I'm using are available only on the last firmware
    release, be sure to update the Fritz!Box before doing anything else.

    ßødincµs²°°°, May 3, 2006
  8. Jim

    Ivor Jones Guest

    It's certainly possible to disable the internal ADSL modem, but the device
    I use (the bog standard Fritz!Box Fon) only has one Ethernet port, so it
    would be a little difficult with that one..! However I believe the
    WLAN7050 has two LAN ports so you should be ok with that one, I'd check
    with AVM tech support on www.avm.de/en (click on "service" then "support")
    they're usually very good and respond quickly.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 3, 2006
  9. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Thanks for all the replys :)

    Jim, May 3, 2006
  10. Jim

    Andy Repton Guest

    I wonder why my ticket with them has been open for over a week then?

    I recently bought a 7050 and have been pleased with it, but the lack of
    response from AVM and the difficulty of finding online discussion in
    English has left me questioning my decision.o

    BTW it does have 2 LAN ports and they can be independently routed.

    Andy Repton, May 5, 2006
  11. Jim

    Ivor Jones Guest

    That's unusual, I've always had a reply within 24 hours.
    What are you trying to find info on..? Maybe I can help.
    Thanks for the info, I was wondering about that.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 5, 2006
  12. Jim

    Andy Repton Guest

    I want to turn off NAT as I am switching ISPs and will have a
    /27 routed to me. Any idea if it is possible and how to do it?

    Andy Repton, May 5, 2006
  13. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi Andy ,
    I have a Fritz!box winging its way to me from Ebay Germany :)
    Before buying it I checked out having it converted to english and with Annex
    A firmware from
    this German Forum http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/forumdisplay.php?f=361
    They are pretty helpful even if you do have to post in English

    Jim, May 7, 2006
  14. Err, I thought the hardware was supposed to be marginally different
    between versions as well.

    Thomas Kenyon, May 7, 2006
  15. Jim

    Jim Guest

    A converted annex B will work fine on Annex A apparently :)

    Jim, May 7, 2006
  16. Jim

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Be aware that there are certain hardware differences between Annex A and
    Annex B devices; while reflashing the firmware *may* work, it is not
    guaranteed.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 7, 2006
  17. Jim

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Could you not top post please, it makes the thread very hard to follow.

    Thanks.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 7, 2006
  18. Jim

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote on 07/05/2006 :
    ..........but a blind person trying to follow a thread all of which is
    bottom posted has a terrible time with a screen reader - more problems
    than one who isn't blind trying to follow top-posted replies.

    Half the time, it's a real PITA to scroll all the way down a message to
    read a reply.

    In line posting is my personal favourite. I see no real benefit with
    either top or bottom posting. I see even less benefit in complaining.

    Just my $0.02

    Jono, May 7, 2006
  19. Jim

    Ivor Jones Guest

    in message

    [snip]
    Is the OP blind..? He has not mentioned it to my knowledge. If he is, I
    apologise, but top posting is still intensely annoying to the majority of
    users. It is convention on most groups to trim unnecessary content and
    bottom post.
    Which is why you trim, not just leave all the message there several times
    over in a long thread.
    That's the British disease, never complain about anything. Which is one of
    the reasons this country is in the state it's in, but that's getting
    dangerously off topic even for me, so I'll shut up now..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 7, 2006
  20. Jim

    M.Dexter Guest