    know where I can go to work in this field with almost no experience? I want
    practical as well as book experience. I know you all do things different on
    here will try to pick up thanks

    Rich Garton, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Rich Garton

    Byron Hynes Guest

    What is the best most effective way to study for these certification
    I spent a lot of time early in my career doing IT and Database things for
    non-profits. They often can't afford to pay big consulting fees, but have
    meaningful things needing to be done.

    Other suggestions: your kids school; your own test environment in Virtual
    PC, or at least working on projects that interest you. (For example if you
    are an antique horse saddle collector then practice web or database skills
    on your collection.)

    HIH.

    Byron Hynes, Mar 30, 2005

  3. Rich Garton

    Neil Guest

    Byron has a ton of useful tips, but the gist is get your hands on.
    Voluntering is a great way to get your hands on in a real and meaningful
    way even though you aren't getting paid. Keyword is MEANINGFUL. VPCs
    allow you create networks without purchasing large amounts of hardware,
    but it's not MEANINGFUL. Nothing quiet like real world to learn a
    product. You also get to see that stuff that you don't get tested on -
    what happens when things don't go as planned.

    Neil, Mar 30, 2005
  4. Rich Garton

    Kurt Guest

    I agree completely. I volunteered for any and every offering. The community
    college I attended actively sought small jobs for the IT students to get
    hands on. If you don't have an affiliation, go see your local school
    district, hospital or medical facility, library, etc. An offer to help for
    free is likely to get you something. I was able to intern at our local
    hospital for 6 months (free) and then got a paid internship ($13.50/Hr, but
    better than pumping gas!) for about another 4 before I got my current
    full-time job (for decent pay). The internships were the best thing I did.
    It goes down as experience and really helps to fill the gaps between books
    and reality.

    ....kurt
    (I can spel, I jsut can't type!)

    Kurt, Mar 30, 2005
  5. Rich Garton

    Guest Guest

    I agree 2, you can spell but you are a bad typer

    Guest, Mar 30, 2005
  6. Rich Garton

    Richard Leo Guest

    Richard Leo, Mar 30, 2005
  7. Rich Garton

    noob Guest

    OK, that was a pretty bad site! Not only did it take 3
    mins to load each page on a 3mg line I can not find a
    review about the study material they offer. A very bad
    piece of spam indeed.

    noob, Mar 30, 2005
  8. Rich Garton

    Neil Guest

    wisch I culd due iether

    Neil, Mar 30, 2005
  9. Rich Garton

    FYI-Geek101 Guest

    I also recommend the following microsoft press books for
    training.
    Microsoft Press Books About Microsoft Products and
    Technologies at
    NOTE: These press books can be acquired cheaper at
    http://www.ebay.com.

    An excellent compliment to your training is to
    use the free Microsoft Skills Assessments at
    and its always free.

    VERY IMPORTANT:
    Industry use these assessments to measure your skill sets,
    so completing them successfully is in your best interest.

    If you need help, you can also get free detailed Q&A
    support for skills assessments at
    http://disnetinc.com/

    FYI-Geek101

    FYI-Geek101, Mar 31, 2005