    What is the best way to backup Thunderbird email and settings? Is there
    some third party software or a way to do it within the program itself?

    Scott

    Scott Nelson, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Scott Nelson

    Erik Guest

    Personally, I just back up my profile directory (C:\Documents and
    Settings\Smith\Application Data\Thunderbird) and don't worry about the
    programs/extensions. I just zip it up [make sure you are out of the
    application for best results] (and then encrypt it with gpg of course
    ;-) and put it in a safe location (web server, burnt CD, etc.)

    Erik, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Scott Nelson

    Dave Garrett Guest

    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Scott Nelson

    remote Guest

    I wasn't even aware of the need to backup and I lost all my emails when
    I changed my ISP and deleted its account. All emails generated under
    that account were apparently lost. Do you know of a way to go back and
    find them without having to remember the old ISP names and passwords?

    remote, Jun 8, 2005
  5. Scott Nelson

    Doug G Guest

    In my experience Mozilla doesn't delete the Mail\mail.server.name folder
    of an account that is removed via Tools > Account Settings. Look on
    your hard drive for a folder named after the old ISP's mail server. If
    you find it, close Thunderbird, rename the extensionless files in the
    folder and move them to the profile's Local Folders folder. The folders
    represented by the files should appear in TB when the program is restarted.

    Doug G, Jun 8, 2005
  6. Scott Nelson

    remote Guest

    Sounds good, thanks Doug.

    remote, Jun 9, 2005
  7. Scott Nelson

    tech geek

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    may be Mozbackup do the task, but i prefer manual backup

    ceveni.com/2009/03/how-to-back-up-and-restore-email.html

    i am using thunderbird with lightning and i will take backups now and then whenever i change my system and i prefer manual is best and easy way of doing it without a single error

    tech geek, Mar 20, 2009