    it. No problem.

    Hope you get sorted out.

    The Tadge

    Nick Ha, Sep 15, 2004

  2. Cynthia P

    Cynthia P Guest

    Neither can I... unless it is more inherent with Smartmedia.

    I'd wonder about the camera, except I've been using that for a good
    long while and these problems were simply not there under my old
    system.

    And this computer is not yet a year old. (Dell Dimension 8300)

    At any rate, I am no longer going to use the Dazzle! I'm just debating
    whether to try a newer Zio or go with a SanDisk multi-reader. (I'm
    leaning towards the latter, since I may eventually get my hubby a
    digi-cam as a present, and I like the idea of flexibility. I know I
    won't want a Smartmedia camera!

    And someday, the trusty Olympus will be replaced for more megapixels.

    Cynthia

    Cynthia P, Sep 15, 2004

  3. Cynthia P

    Cynthia P Guest

    That's what I've been wondering about. Part of me wants to just get a
    newer Zio Smartmedia reader, in case that is the problem.

    The other part of me knows that one day, I'll be getting a camera for
    my husband (meteorologist, he'd love to photograph skies and
    storms...) and the extra versatility of a multi-reader would be nice.
    Or if my camera goes whacko...

    The only good thing about the situation is that I have so far not lost
    any pictures... I always get them downloaded just fine.

    Cynthia

    Cynthia P, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Cynthia P

    Cynthia P Guest

    For those who may be interested...

    I replaced the Dazzle 6 in 1 card reader (the one that ate two of my
    Smartmedia cards recently) with a Dazzle Zio Hi Speed (USB 2.0)
    Smartmedia reader. (My computer does have USB 2.0)

    It arrived today and appears to have installed flawlessly.

    I used one of the cards that my camera will no longer read or format,
    plugged it in and the new Zio read it AND was able to properly eject
    the media. At least when I ejected the card, nothing would show in the
    drive in explorer and it would ask me to insert a card.

    So with luck, I won't have to go through the business of shutting off
    the PC between card switches in the future. I hope.

    Have two new SmartMedia cards on order now... and anxiously awaiting
    my new *film*.

    So the older Zio USB reader will head to eBay... as will the Dazzle 6
    in 1 once I can take pix of it.

    Cynthia

    Cynthia P, Sep 21, 2004
  5. That is good news.
    Just one minor suggestion;
    Never use the computer to format or write to the Smart Media cards while
    they are in the card reader.
    Always format the cards in the camera.
    I learned this the hard way.

    Matt D

    Matthew Dranchak, Sep 22, 2004
  6. Cynthia P

    Cynthia P Guest

    I received the first of my replacement 128MB cards, bought from eBay,
    have another coming from Walmart.com (Edge... with $20 rebate).

    So replacing them won't be as bad monetarily as I thought.

    So far, the first card is working just fine with both the camera and
    the new Zio Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Smartmedia reader.

    I'm beginning to think it was just that my computer/camera/cards don't
    do well with a multi-card reader. And that my WinXP machine doesn't
    care for older USB readers. It wants the high speed. Lesson learned!

    As for formatting the cards in the reader, nope, wouldn't think of it.
    Camera formats only.

    The only thing I do with the card in the reader is copy all the files.
    I then locate the folder I want to put them in and paste them. That's
    it, done. If I need to erase or delete any images, that is always, but
    always done in my camera.

    Had a near knock-down drag out with my boss one night... I'd taken
    some pix for him, and he wanted to see them on his very old Win95
    computer. So I used a Flashpath Floppy Disk Smartmedia reader and he
    was getting alarmed by how big the full rez, SHQ files were and he
    *attempted* to try and delete one from MY card. I stopped him in time,
    but he was really argumentative about it.

    Since I quit and moved out of the state, he's gotten his own digital
    camera, but will probably have to revamp his computer before he can
    even use it. Unless he can find a parallel port reader. Doubtful, I
    think the newer Olympus cameras use something different than
    Smartmedia. At any rate, I have a sneaking hunch he will find out why
    one doesn't write to the card in a reader for himself someday.

    Cynthia

    Cynthia P, Sep 25, 2004
  7. Cynthia P

    Guest Guest

    I have this reader. I haven't tried the other format, but CF works
    flawlessly and I've never had any problems.

    Raymond

    Guest, Sep 28, 2004