  1. What's the best one out there these days?

    I know a lot of them just execute the program's uninstall feature itself, which
    is a waste.

    Matthew Superstar Swass, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Matthew Superstar Swass

    Michael-NC Guest

    Not really, that's the best feature you have.

    Michael-NC, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Not really, that's the best feature you have.

    Well I've been using a very old Norton Uninstall Deluxe program from like 1998,
    and that works better than the uninstall feature.

    Matthew Superstar Swass, Sep 7, 2004
  4. Matthew Superstar Swass

    Michael-NC Guest

    Nonsense.

    Michael-NC, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Matthew Superstar Swass

    Thor Guest

    Ironically, Norton products are some of the worst offenders when it comes to
    leaving garbage behind after an uninstall. LOL!

    Thor, Sep 7, 2004
  6. Matthew Superstar Swass

    bambam Guest

    (Matthew Superstar Swass) wrote in

    Not sure if it is the best, but it is bloody good, and free. :)

    Total Uninstall

    http://www.geocities.com/ggmartau/tu.html

    bambam, Sep 7, 2004
  7. Matthew Superstar Swass

    Wizard Guest

    Windows's "add/remove programs"

    Wizard, Sep 7, 2004
  8. Windows's "add/remove programs"

    That just looks for the programs uninstall file.

    Matthew Superstar Swass, Sep 7, 2004
  9. Nonsense.

    How is that nonsense? The uninstall file on most programs leaves stuff behind.
    Some of them leave tons of stuff in the registry and whatnot.

    Matthew Superstar Swass, Sep 7, 2004
  10. Matthew Superstar Swass

    Michael-NC Guest

    Which is the best way to uninstall a program. Third party uninstallers are
    "pop" software for newbie's and the clueless. How can a third party app know
    more about uninstalling another app then the app in question itself? It
    can't and it doesn't... Third party uninstallers are not necessary and IMHO,
    a waste of system resources as they have to be run continuously. I would
    never install one, even if it were free.

    Michael-NC, Sep 8, 2004
  11. Matthew Superstar Swass

    Thor Guest

    I would disagree on one point. Most of these "uninstaller" programs are made
    to monitor the installation of software as well, and log every change made,
    every registry entry made, as well as every file copied, thus they can often
    do a more thorough job of removal if the program tends to leave garbage
    behind using the normal uninstalltion process, and we all know that programs
    regularly leave crap behind either in the form of orphaned registry entries,
    or leftover folders, despite using their bundled uninstallation utility. The
    downside is that these types of programs can interfere with the installation
    of user applications, and can be a drain on system resources, which for me
    is unacceptable for a program that is in actual use less than 1% of the time
    on my computer, so I do not choose to use one. As for what the uninstaller
    programs know that may or may not be better than the software's own
    uninstaller utility, some do come with databases of known software and the
    changes they make. Of course, they can't be aware of every program in
    existence, and their main strength is in monitoring the subsequent
    installation of programs.

    Thor, Sep 8, 2004
  12. Matthew Superstar Swass

    Michael-NC Guest

    That's _one_ point you may disagree with but we both know that these
    programs don't always work either. They may also mess up with programs that
    have been patched after being installed. There is no uninstaller that is not
    without fault. IMO, the best uninstaller is still the program itself. You
    can manually purge things from the registry yourself.

    Michael-NC, Sep 8, 2004
  13. Matthew Superstar Swass

    Thor Guest

    That's _one_ point you may disagree with but we both know that these
    No disagreement there.
    True, but for many people this is asking too much. An automated tool is
    preferrable to lots of people, even if it has problems of it's own from time
    to time. As I said, I do not prefer to use such programs either, for reasons
    I mentioned earlier, but there is no doubt that such programs when working
    properly *can* do a more thorough job of removal than the application's own
    uninstaller, if the application's uninstaller isn't good at cleaning up
    after it's own mess, and that happens quite often in my experience. So much
    so that I routinely go in to C:\program files\ and remove leftover folders
    from games, and applications, and into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software key
    to get rid of leftover registry entries. Software companies DO need to do a
    better job at cleaning up after their applications during an uninstall. If
    they did, then uninstaller programs would have no purpose or place in the
    market. Hell, if it weren't for the drag on system resources for a program
    of such infrequent use, and the possibility of it conflicting with things, I
    might even use one. But as they are, they simply aren't good enough, IMHO.
    To others, the negatives may well be acceptable. I see customers with that
    stuff installed all the time. I ask them if they want to get rid of it,
    explaining the ups and downs of such software, but 9 times out of 10, they
    opt to keep it. (shrugs shoulders)

    Thor, Sep 8, 2004