    I would like to keep a better eye on my daughter when she uses her computer. is
    there some software that keeps track but lets me access the info on my computer.
    all of our computers are networked with XP and a router.

    Steve Knight, May 29, 2004

  2. Steve Knight

    jils Guest

    you want to spy on your daughter? that's a great way to destroy a
    parent/child relationship. do you spy on her when she's out with friends?

    how about surfing the net with her; keeping the computer in a main room
    where you can see what she's doing; limiting her time online and, best of
    all, talking to her?

    jils, May 29, 2004

  3. I would like to keep a better eye on my daughter when she uses her computer. is
    There is a lot of parental control software to control what parents
    see and do on the net, and let their kids spy on what they are
    doing. However, it doesn't sound like your daughter is old enough
    to have kids.

    Gordon L. Burditt

    Gordon Burditt, May 29, 2004
  4. Steve Knight

    Jerry G. Guest

    It sounds like a bad relationship. But, Explorer keeps a history log if you
    want to go that deep.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., May 29, 2004
  5. Steve Knight

    Shawn Hearn Guest

    Check with your ISP to see if it offers any solutions. Some ISPs offer
    free parental control software to their customers.

    Shawn Hearn, May 29, 2004
  6. Steve Knight

    moonface Guest

    moonface

    Unleash The Fury....

    moonface, May 29, 2004
  7. jils spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    While I agree with your second paragraph, sometimes some kids will sneak
    out/sneak online/etc. You have to cover all possibilities, IMO

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck_n0i, May 29, 2004
  8. Steve Knight

    Special Ed Guest

    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads6.html

    Special Ed, May 29, 2004
  9. Steve Knight

    joevan Guest

    The little clock thingy at the top of the explorer window is the
    history. Every page you visit available there for as long as you
    desire it to be.
    joevan

    joevan, May 29, 2004
  10. Steve Knight

    Andrew White Guest

    And any teenager knows how to clear it. They are a lot smarter than
    the average adult, when it comes to computer use...

    Andrew White, May 29, 2004
  11. Steve Knight

    Andrew White Guest

    The best software for this is Norton Internet Security. Not only can
    it keep a log of all activities, including all URLs visited, but it
    will also offer virus and intrusion protection. The most important
    feature for you is that you can set an admin password for Norton
    features that would prevent your kid from clearing or turning off the
    logs.

    Andrew White, May 29, 2004
  12. Steve Knight

    joevan Guest

    My 13 year old girl has never deleted any files of mine. She knows
    everything anyway and her Mother and she have talked about it all.
    She developed or started to at 8 and had to learn a lot quickly.
    I can't tell you how to treat your daughter but maybe she should not
    be deleting files. I don't know if you are running xp or not but maybe
    you could set security so only you could delete files , using a
    password.
    joevan

    joevan, May 29, 2004
  13. Steve Knight

    zxcvbob Guest

    Other folks have mentioned the history in IE. You can also check the
    access log in your router, assuming you have a router.

    Bob

    zxcvbob, May 29, 2004
  14. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    I just want to make sure she does not get into trouble. She is pretty good on
    the computer most of the time. but sometimes she is sneaky. it would be a good
    way to keep tabs on her when I am not home.
    she used to be limited to 1 hour a day as she got carried away with it. but she
    is better. but when I am not home She is supposed to not have any friends over.
    she likes to entertain them and seeing what she is doing while I am gone would
    be better then trying to get home early and catch her. the last two days I am
    pretty sure she had her friend over here showing off pictures with her new
    camera. but of course she won't admit it.

    Steve Knight, May 29, 2004
  15. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    this is the part I want to check on once in awhile. she is pretty good about not
    doing much on the computer. but a check once in awhile keeps things under
    control.

    Steve Knight, May 29, 2004
  16. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    not my kid she does not have much of a clue about what goes on with her
    computer. but AIM is the one that really needs kept track of.

    Steve Knight, May 29, 2004
  17. Steve Knight

    Martik Guest

    That's for sure, I setup a bios password so my 13 yo son figured out how to
    short the battery and cleared the cmos. Then I took away the modem and he
    borrowed his friend's modem. His determination paid off though. He became
    one of the world's top Starcraft players and has played in tournaments all
    over Europe and Asia and secured a job as a game designer. Go Figure!

    Martik, May 29, 2004
  18. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    Well I don't like to admit it but she is not super trustworthy. My wife is blind
    and she learned to take advantage of that early on. she is getting better but
    she still needs a bit more control.
    I am not worried about her going to bad sites. it is more to see if she is
    alone when she is supposed to be and not chatting with the wrong types. she is
    still pretty immature for her age.
    she has no clue about computers so it is not something she will catch me doing
    it. but I can't watch her all the time either.

    Steve Knight, May 29, 2004
  19. Steve Knight

    zxcvbob Guest

    The fact that she has unsupervised access to a computer with a network
    connection means that he *does* trust her. This discussion thread means
    there is a limit to the trust. It is not your or my place to determine
    where that limit should be.

    If you cannot understand that, you don't have a teenager. At least I
    hope you don't.

    Best regards,
    Bob

    zxcvbob, May 29, 2004
  20. Steve Knight

    Steven Lee Guest

    Hmm...May I advise you to use an program named BESS, that will ultimately
    supervise her EMAIL usage...It's used in many School Districts, also you can
    set Global or Local Limits. Thanks. It's fees are unknown to me.

    Steven Lee, May 29, 2004