    have to have stuff installed I won't use anyways.

    Freeware or Commercial.

    Thanks.

    j, Jun 15, 2007

  2. Most any editor software can do what you want. Many printer supplied
    software packages will allow you to choose the print size. So the answers
    you will get are mostly going to be the personal preference of the
    responder. Since you mention 8x10 and larger, you may want to look at Qimage
    as it has a very good ability to print images over multiple pages.

    Now, as to how good the end product will be, that is going to be a problem.
    If you are not going for high quality images (such as art prints) an 8x10 is
    possible. Larger than that is going to rapidly go down in quality. Some
    programs are very good at guessing at what to insert in an image to make it
    larger, but it is still trying to create data that does not exist. You will
    not get an image that is as clear and detailed by blowing up a 2mp image as
    you would by printing a 6mp image at the same print size.

    There is one more concideration. The quality of the printer. Some printers
    are better at giving acceptable large prints than others. So the same image
    printed on two printers at 8x10, one may look good at arms length and the
    other may not look good any closer than 4' viewing distance.

    Good luck

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Jun 15, 2007

  3. I agree, and QImage also has the best enlarging routines, imo. If you
    use other software, try enlarging in small steps - Google 'stair step
    interpolation', and try the Lanczos enlarging algorithm, found in the
    free Irfanview program.
    True. But I think there is another very important factor - image
    content. Some images, like close up portraits (and any other subject
    that doesn't invite you to get up close and personal) will enlarge
    much better than others.

    The best way to find out is to simply try it out, even if you just
    print a cropped A4 area at the enlargement ratio you wish to use, then
    view at the most likely distance...

    Let us know how you go.

    mark.thomas.7, Jun 15, 2007
  4. j

    Aaron Guest

    I recommend AlienSkin BlowUp, which is a Photoshop plug-in. There are
    a few others I can't remember the names of that may or may not do a
    better job, but I've used BlowUp and have been very satisfied with the
    results.

    Its major contribution to scaling is maintaining the sharpness of hard
    edges while not oversharpening softer features within the image;
    something that takes more intelligence than simple bicubic algorithms.

    It's not a silver bullet, but it should get 2MP images up to 8x10 in a
    way that makes them very printable.

    Aaron, Jun 15, 2007
  5. j

    Mark Guest

    Many say Qimage is excellent for scaling small images to larger print
    sizes, and yes it does do it very well ...

    http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

    .... in the help/docs there is a step-by-step example that should make
    it very easy to simply make a large print; BUT, there are indeed a lot
    of options which can be daunting so look through the faq/docs/help for
    the examples.

    Mark, Jun 15, 2007
  6. j

    sced13ri Guest

    You could try this free upsizer program. The information is located at
    the bottom of this page;

    http://www.outbackphoto.com/filters/filters.html#upsizing

    The procedure as given to me by a pro suggests;

    a.) Crop first (if needed)
    b.) unsharp
    c.) resize (upsize)
    d.) unsharp again (if needed)

    I have used the DOP Upsizer on scanned slides with very good results.
    Just a suggestion for something that might work for you.

    sced13ri

    sced13ri, Jun 15, 2007
  7. j

    sced13ri Guest

    My bad! I forgot to mention this program is used as a plug-in for
    Photoshop but, it works just as well in Photoshop Elements 3 and 5.
    I have used it in both.

    sced13ri

    sced13ri, Jun 15, 2007
  8. j

    C J Campbell Guest

    OnOne's Genuine Fractals has long been considered to be the standard
    and some stock photography companies have even specified it. However,
    there are many products out there.

    C J Campbell, Jun 15, 2007
  9. j

    j Guest

    The images I want to enlarge are mostly of rain forests, mountains
    and ocean in British Columbia
    A lot of greens and browns and greys

    All the shots were taken in late fall and winter so lots of overcast
    skies and mist.
    (Pretty much the same as Oregon and Seattle)

    I will be printing at a professional lab (Black's , London drugs,
    Futureshop, Walmart..etc)

    Camera was Fujifilm A205 2MP

    I don't want huge prints, mostly 8x10 and 20x16 whenever possible
    without getting a melted crayon look of early colour laser printers.
    Viewing distance will be at least 2.5 feet.

    My system is a P3-650 with 128 MB of ram so I can't run anything that
    requires
    a newer system.

    j, Jun 15, 2007
  10. In that case why not just take a file along to the lab and see what they
    come up with..

    I regularly used to print A4 from an Olympus 2100uz just letting my HP
    printer's own software scale it to fit. Some of those are still on
    people's walls..

    T.

    Tony Gartshore, Jun 15, 2007
  11. j

    ray Guest

    I would recommend you try some prints 'as is'. I really don't think you're
    going to gain anything by more processing.

    ray, Jun 15, 2007
  12. j

    AAvK Guest

    For free, Irfanview works really really well, you must use the Lanczos setting
    in the image\resize dialog box. xnView is free and also has Lanczos.

    Commercial, I use Genuine Fractals (in Photoshop CS3) from OnOne software
    (it used to belong to "Lizard Tech"). But for less just buy Paint Shop Pro! GF
    is $159 US and PSP is what...$110? PSP has an awesome algorythm for
    enlarging digital images. That way you get another graphics program. Set up
    cnews.corel.com and ask there.

    AAvK, Jun 17, 2007
  13. j

    X-Man Guest

    PhotoLine 32 from www.pl32.com is the only editor to support Lanczos-8 sampling
    in all its rotation and resizing tools. Surpassing all the other editors and
    their Lanczos sampling routines. PSP is $110? Try $80 for PhotoLine 32.

    Don't even think of using PhotoShop for upsizing, OR downsizing. It's still
    stuck in the bicubic dark-ages for all its tools, nicely smearing all the fine
    details in any images that comes near PhotoShop.

    X-Man, Jun 17, 2007
  14. j

    Cher Fan Guest

    Try also Mihov Image Resizer: http://www.imageresizer.com/ - it's