    I'm looking for a small digicam w/optical zoom but prefer AA or
    non-proprietary batteries. Also would like relatively short shutter lag and
    time between shots. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

    Zen Cohen, Feb 8, 2004

  2. Zen Cohen

    nellybly Guest

    Go to http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html , and click on
    whatever megapixel you are interested in. There is a grid where you can see
    what kind of battery each camera takes, and links to reviews.
    HTH,
    NB

    nellybly, Feb 8, 2004

  3. Zen Cohen

    stan Guest

    How small?

    stan, Feb 8, 2004
  4. Pentax just announced a new version of their Optio S4 (4 megapixel) camera:
    the S40. It uses 2 AA batteries and is 3.5 x 2.3 x 1 inches. It has a 3x
    optical zoom. Not bad. I have the S4. It uses a proprietary battery (I
    have two) and is slightly smaller. Small enough to fit in an Altoids tin.
    I love it for a point and shoot camera that is easy to travel.

    Charles Perry P.E.

    Charles Perry, Feb 9, 2004
  5. I couldn't be happier with my Nikon 3100, which uses AA batteries. It is
    larger, in total mass, than my Canon S110 (propietary battery), but it fits
    the hand better ergonomically, so that it actually FEELS niftier--and still
    fits in a belt pack.

    If you want a REALLY small camera--and one that uses AAA batteries--have a
    look at the four-cigarette-sized Sony USC-30 (to be superceded at the end
    of February by the Sony USC-40. It's only 2mp, but it is miniscule. It
    doesn't have optical zoom, but unless you are standing on the edge of a
    cliff you can just walk forward a bit.

    Douglas W. Hoyt, Feb 9, 2004
  6. Zen Cohen

    Chris Guest

    Minolta DiMage X20

    Price varies, but got mine for $150. Takes AA, but better if you use NiMH
    AA. It's 2 megapixel, but it's got very nice reviews, and is very
    user-friendly.

    Check around. It's about 3.5 by 2.5 inches, so very portable and convenient
    to carry with you anywhere, about tv remote size. It'll take video, as well
    as audio, and has optical zoom of x3 and digital of x2. It powers up in
    about 1 second, due to it's internal zoom lens configuration. Takes SD
    Secure Digital memory cards. You'll like this camera I think.

    Chris, Feb 9, 2004
  7. Take a look at the Canon A80 too. It's not as small or light as some of
    the other cameras suggested, but it might be small enough for you. And
    it is powered by AA cells, uses CF memory, has 3X optical zoom, includes
    extensive manual controls, and had a flip-out LCD like the G3/G5. It's
    a 4 MP camera with a very sharp lens.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Feb 9, 2004