    a Google search, but that brought up many results of which I don't know
    which would be the best. I'm after a free program to do the job.

    Regards.

    Jackjlkjlkj532, Apr 17, 2004

  2. Jackjlkjlkj532

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Before posting a question, you *might* take time to read awhile....this
    question was asked/answered thoroughly in the past few days...

    Toolman Tim, Apr 17, 2004

  3. And whilst you posted that comment, you could have answered me.

    Jackjlkjlkj532, Apr 17, 2004
  4. Jackjlkjlkj532

    Ant Guest

    Hear, hear. Too many people do that.

    Ant, Apr 17, 2004
  5. Jackjlkjlkj532

    geothermal Guest

    RegSupreme is excellent.
    If it is no longer free then use RegCleaner
    If you really know what you are doing and have patience, you
    might try HDValet.

    geothermal

    "There is no "best" anything anymore."

    geothermal, Apr 17, 2004
  6. Jackjlkjlkj532

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Apr 17, 2004
  7. Thank you Geothermal, for your helpful response, I will try those programs
    out. You seem to be the most useful on this newsgroup.

    And as for the others, do you not know that this is a
    "24hoursupport.helpdesk" newsgroup?

    Jackjlkjlkj532, Apr 17, 2004
  8. Jackjlkjlkj532

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yep. And its all here for the reading. Of course, if you didn't learn in
    school how to do your own basic research, and still expect people to spoon
    feed you, maybe you aren't grown up enough to be playing with nice toys like
    computers.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 17, 2004
  9. Jackjlkjlkj532

    ICee Guest

    And do you not know how to use Google?
    Inputing "best firewall" and looking in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, returned
    1,590 articles.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...btnG=Search&meta=group=24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?O4CD53D08

    ICee, Apr 17, 2004
  10. Jackjlkjlkj532

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim, Apr 17, 2004
  11. Jackjlkjlkj532

    Boomer Guest

    Then you get to answer the next 500 questions that ask
    'best registry cleaner', 'what is the best firewall'
    'what is the best...'

    Boomer, Apr 17, 2004
  12. Jackjlkjlkj532

    ICee Guest

    ICee, Apr 17, 2004
  13. What you talking about a Firewall for? Didn't you "READ" my post!!!

    Jackjlkjlkj532, Apr 17, 2004
  14. Jackjlkjlkj532

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Bingo, Boomer! My point exactly.

    My many years of work on personal computers (24 in fact) have led me to
    believe two things about asking for help:
    1) Not all FREE advice is good advice
    2) I can learn MORE about my problem by researching it myself than
    asking for a "quickie" fix from someone else

    I sure hope MY free advice never falls into that first category, and I hope
    I never ask for a quickie if I haven't already tried to learn what I need to
    know on my own.

    That doesn't mean I think we should all pack up and go home <g> but that we
    are only one avenue of help. I've seen some extremely complicated issues
    discussed to successful resolution on this newsgroup, and I know that some
    of those problems might never have been resolved through a Google search, or
    even at some local computer shops.

    T.T.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 17, 2004
  15. Jackjlkjlkj532

    ICee Guest

    ICee, Apr 17, 2004
  16. Jackjlkjlkj532

    ICee Guest

    Hi, Boomer. I'm thinking of changing my nym to that of my hero, Sooty.
    http://www.digitalfog.com/gallery/sooty.htm

    What do you think?

    ICee, Apr 17, 2004
  17. Jackjlkjlkj532

    Boomer Guest

    So very true. I do agree.

    I'll never forget my first (operator error) computer screw up. That
    was before I knew of usenet or even Deja.com. I used the old, old
    search engines to find the information and help I needed. By searching
    and reading I got my problems fixed quicker than if I had posted to a
    news group and waited for a 'someone' to answer.

    You might notice that some people get dependent on '24H' and also
    become too lazy to do a little search themselves. Those are the ones
    that irritate me. I have to search just like they would.

    Most answers can be found via Windows Help file, or a good search
    engine, Googles archives or posting to the correct newsgroup, if
    needed. And much faster, at times. :)

    Boomer, Apr 18, 2004
  18. Jackjlkjlkj532

    Toomer Guest