    but it's a somewhat quirky camera. Canon's S60 disappointed me -- image
    edge quality and poor focus were its downfalls.

    -CD

    Cardamon Dave, May 31, 2006

  2. Cardamon Dave

    dj_nme Guest

    Before the sensor went wonky, I got some good results from my Minolta
    Dimage 7Hi.
    It has a (35mm equiv) 28 to 200 zoom, and an almost usable manual
    focus.
    One of the best things about the camera was that (in manual focus mode)
    you could set a focus distance and then zoom in and out without losing
    focus.
    The replacement (as a result of the Sony sensor recall) from the
    Minolta representative in .au was a KM Dimage A200.
    It doesn't have the same "focus lock in zoom", but it has anit-shake, a
    more reliable autofocus in low light and the same 28-200mm lens.
    These more than makes up for have to refocus after zooming (and the
    fact that it's sensor hasn't died yet).
    The Dimage A2 should be even better, because of the high-res viewfinder
    which should make manual focus truly possible.

    dj_nme, May 31, 2006

  3. Nikon 8400.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8400/

    David

    David J Taylor, May 31, 2006
  4. Cardamon Dave

    VK Guest

    For me, hands down the Panasonic LX-1 - the first compact digital
    camera that feels like a "camera", and shoots like one as well.

    A bit noisy, but nothing Noise Ninja cannot fix - and the rest is just
    excellent.

    Vandit

    VK, May 31, 2006
  5. Cardamon Dave

    Don Wiss Guest

    I would not recommend the 8400. I've had way too many pictures ruined by
    it. It can't handle low light at all. When shooting at 85mm you have an
    f4.9 opening with no image stabilization. ISO stays at 50. That's pathetic.

    David carries around two cameras. I would only recommend the 8400 if it is
    your second camera and you only use it in sunlight, or with a flash.

    Don Wiss, May 31, 2006
  6. What I have found, Don, is that for low-light you need some way of
    securing the camera, such as a tripod. Now I don't carry a tripod round
    with me, so I make best use of whatever surface or support is available -
    walls, tables, chair-backs etc. Having the swivel viewfinder makes this
    far easier. I've been very pleased with (for example) interiors of the
    new Copenhagen Opera House taken that way, with exposures in the range 1/4
    to 2 seconds. The camera will automatically boost its ISO if you allow it
    to, but I would set it at 50 or 100 for the best quality.

    For general carry-round work I prefer the Panasonic FZ5.

    David

    David J Taylor, May 31, 2006
  7. Cardamon Dave

    Steve Guest