best newsreader

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jason K. Lambrou, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. what is the best "free" newsreader? thanx

    Jason K. Lambrou, Jul 27, 2004

  2. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    I would say X-News, Free Agent and Mozilla Thunderbird are some of
    the top free news readers. Each have there pros and cons, such as Free
    Agent doesn't have a kill file and X-news might a bit hard to
    configure for someone nto used to it. MS dicked up Outlook Express but
    a lot of people use it because it came with Windows.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jul 27, 2004

  3. 40tude Dialog
    www.40tude.com

    Tattoo Vampire, Jul 27, 2004
  4. IMO, Xnews.

    Good place to ask: the fine folks in news.software.readers. See you
    there.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Jason K. Lambrou

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Jason K. Lambrou typed:
    Outlook Express with OE-Quotefix, and Newsbin Pro .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Jul 27, 2004
  6. Thanx Dr. and please stay away from Creedmore

    Jason K. Lambrou, Jul 27, 2004
  7. Jason K. Lambrou

    Ava Keech Guest

    Warning! Anyone that recommends Outlook Express as the best free newsreader
    should not be listened to in the future. What a dope.

    Ava Keech, Jul 27, 2004
  8. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
    Outhouse Depress is not the best free news reader, just the one that
    happens to come with Windows. I don't understand why they bothered
    with it since it is simply so horrid. I wonder if they'll lsten in
    Longhorn and write something better?

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jul 27, 2004
  9. Jason K. Lambrou

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Ava Keech typed:
    With due regard to security, and a modicum of knowledge, OE, OE-Quotefix and
    Newsbin Pro is a very good email/newsreader/binary reader combination, which
    I use extensively. I also sometimes use XNews and Outlook, I've tried
    Pegasus, Gravity, Forte, and many others yet still keep coming back to
    Outlook Express as being the most comprehensive newsreader, when used with
    other apps, for my purposes.

    Why shouldn't I recommend it ? You offer no alternative, or explanation why
    you reject it, yet think your views are worth more ...

    Paul - xxx, Jul 27, 2004
  10. Jason K. Lambrou

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    That would be the one that does all the things YOU want it to do?

    What's 'best' for me may be useless to you.

    Without supplying some criteria everyone will simply reply with what's the
    'best' newsreader for them.

    FWIW I use Xnews.

    Fuzzy Logic, Jul 27, 2004
  11. And how did you get Pegasus Mail to do news?

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 27, 2004
  12. Jason K. Lambrou

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Blinky the Shark typed:
    Heheheh, I probably didn't .. I use some apps in combination with others to
    achieve what I want .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Jul 27, 2004
  13. So what did you combine Pegasus Mail with to do news?

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 27, 2004
  14. Jason K. Lambrou

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Blinky the Shark typed:
    I didn't use Pegasus for news reading .. ;)

    I probably wrote my original reply to the OP wrongly, and was suggesting
    some ways I get news and email. The OP only really asked for Newsreaders.

    Paul - xxx, Jul 27, 2004
  15. I know he did. That's why I was trying to find the relevance of Pegmail in
    the list of better clients than OE (which it, if course, is, but only
    for mail). (I thought you might have some kind of proxy or server trick up
    your sleeve; I see now that you were just confused. 'Kay.)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 27, 2004