    Could someone plz recommend a decent newsreader. I'm getting lost messages
    and think it is probably OE6.

    Thanks

    Bobby, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Bobby

    Kenny Guest

    Kenny, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Bobby

    Jim PKP Guest

    Microplanet Gravity. Or anything pretty much in newsreaders.com

    Jim PKP, Jul 28, 2003
  4. Bobby

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Kenny continued:
    Good call but the OP thinks it is his news*reader* that is at fault (though
    he is probably wrong and it is his server after all).
    Though how OE is supposed to lose messages is beyond me ;-)

    slumpy, Jul 28, 2003
  5. Bobby

    paul s Guest

    Take your choice:
    http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html

    Xnews, Agent, and Gravity are quite good.

    paul s, Jul 28, 2003
  6. Bobby

    Henry SC Guest

    news.cis.dfn.de is a news feed, for which you need a news reader. Which is,
    I think, where we started.

    Eudora is popular amongst people frustrated by the strictures of OE, and
    @mail (aka Access Mail or Virtual Access) also has a very dedicated
    following. Take a look at www.download.com and do a search on newsreaders,
    then take a look at the number of downloads and ratings to give you an idea
    of which are the most popular.

    Henry SC, Jul 28, 2003
  7. Bobby

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jul 28, 2003
  8. Bobby

    °Mike° Guest

    Well there you have it, folks. Straight from the mouth of devotee numero
    uno. Xnews needs a prop! BWAHAHAHAHA!! etc... <BEG>

    °Mike°, Jul 29, 2003
  9. And thank Allah for that! (P.S. even before Hamster, I was using Xnews
    offline)

    Max Quordlepleen, Jul 29, 2003
  10. Bobby

    Michael Guest

    I've only just this week got confirmation from a Microsoft Customer Service
    guy that OE does indeed lose NNTP messages... regularly. He won't use the
    thing himself for exactly this reason.

    It's not good at dealing with the multi-server "farms" that many NNTP
    providers use to distribute their demand load... consequently, it marks
    messages as "read" that it can't find headers for right at the moment, and
    having marked them "read", it never looks for them again.

    Stupid but true.

    Took me a week and a half of dealing with a series of totally daft and
    clueless CS people before I found one with a mind and a conscience.

    He actually took my complaint, filed it all properly and passed it along as
    valid, without forcing me to front up to The Great Software Behemoth their
    requisite $35US... every penny of which they would cheefully have refunded
    when hell froze over and they saw the error of their ways.

    ((U))
    M[/QUOTE]

    Michael, Jul 29, 2003
  11. Bobby

    jtw Guest

    Agent for reading and posting text messages.
    NewsBin Pro for the binaries

    jtw

    jtw, Jul 29, 2003
  12. Bobby

    David Qunt Guest

    I'm happy to give it one, too. X News is the best newsreader by a country
    mile - for mt use, at least.

    David Qunt, Jul 29, 2003
  13. On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:05:39 +0000 (UTC), While I was using pressure to
    I vote for Agent. Although i have difficulty learning new stuff, Agent
    was not really very difficult.

    It is sort of intimidating since it is somewhat different than lots of
    "normal' Windows programs, but it wasn't really very hard to learn enough
    to make it useful. Then on a sort of "learn as you go" basis i begin to
    fully appreciate it's features.

    And.... even though I have been using it for a while, I still marvel at
    how well it handles lots of tasks.

    And... Unlike many newsreaders, Agent has the support of several
    excellent NGs.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Jul 29, 2003
  14. Bobby

    °Mike° Guest

    Too late, Max, you already blew it. ;^)

    °Mike°, Jul 29, 2003
  15. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 29 Jul 2003 07:37:43
    +0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    Oh, yes. <g>

    William Poaster, Jul 29, 2003
  16. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:37:23
    +1200, Max Quordlepleen uttered this:
    I used Agent in Windows & when I switched to linux, I installed it & used it
    with WINE. :)
    I not only use it as a newsreader, but also for my email client. :)

    William Poaster, Jul 29, 2003
  17. Bobby

    Mara Guest

    Make that three users.

    Mara, Jul 29, 2003
  18. Nah, I'll let you all off, because I've decided it's time to get my
    beloved GNUs working in Winbloze, since I'm stuck in this OS for the
    foreseeable future, due to work-specific, Windows-only software.

    Max Quordlepleen, Jul 29, 2003
  19. Bobby

    Mara Guest

    Dangit.

    Mara, Jul 29, 2003
  20. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    Just for the record and since I started this thread, of the two readers
    discussed I much prefer Agent

    Bobby, Jul 29, 2003