    battery charge with three bars and now after I put in a freshly charged
    battery the level drops to two bars after taking just a few pictures. Are
    there higher capacity or better quality batteries that fit the FZ20?

    Victek, Dec 27, 2007

  2. Victek,

    You probably just want new, freshly-manufactured batteries, and Li-ion
    wear out after three years or so.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 27, 2007

  3. Victek

    John Navas Guest

    How long have you had your FZ20? The life of Li-ion batteries in heavy
    use is only 1-2 years. But don't take the battery gauge too literally
    -- measure the actual shooting performance to see how it's holding up.
    (I test with forced flash.) And I'd personally stick with OEM batteries
    -- aftermarket batteries can be pretty crappy.

    John Navas, Dec 27, 2007
  4. As David and John noted, your batteries are probably just getting old.
    It's an unfortunate feature of LiIon battery construction.

    I don't remember the brand off-hand, but I bought a 3rd party battery
    for my FZ5 a year or so ago and it works just fine. If you go to B&H's
    website, and go to Camera Accessories/Batteries, you can filter the list
    by what type of camera the battery goes into. Set that to Panasonic, and
    look for batteries that will replace a CGA-S002. Or, if you prefer, you
    can buy a genuine Panasonic and avoid the potential worry of going 3rd
    party; it will cost somewhat more, of course.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Dec 27, 2007
  5. Victek

    Ralph Mowery Guest

    Are the batteries listed on e-bay for about $ 3 to $ 15 any good ?

    Most of the ones I see in the stores are around $ 50.

    Ralph Mowery, Dec 28, 2007
  6. No.

    Buy from "http://sterlingtek.com"

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤, Dec 28, 2007
  7. Victek

    irwell Guest

    They can be, if they ever get sent to you.

    irwell, Dec 28, 2007
  8. Victek

    Craig Guest

    I'll second the suggestion to buy from Sterlingtek. I've brought
    several batteries from them all better than the stock canon battery and
    I'll buy more when I need them.

    Craig, Dec 28, 2007
  9. I wouldn't buy off eBay, but I have bought 3rd party batteries from
    reputable suppliers a lot cheaper than manufacturer's offerings, and had
    no problems with them, both for compact camera batteries and DSLR ones.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 28, 2007
  10. Victek

    John Navas Guest

    Some are; some aren't. The problem is knowing the difference.
    Better to buy from a reputable retailer like B&H.

    John Navas, Dec 28, 2007
  11. Victek

    er Guest

    I bought a couple from Sterling Tech for my old Canon G2 which are still
    going strong in my Son in Law's Rebel

    On the other hand, I bought three for my Minolta A200 from an ebay supplier,
    BZB Express, and two of the three have died after less than two years.
    Tried to get the first on replaced under their warranty, and FINALLY ended
    up with a partial refund after fighting with them for about a year. Awful
    people selling CRAP.

    On yet another hand, I could buy a dozen of the junk batteries for less than
    the price of one from Konica Minolta, so, which is really the better buy?

    ds

    er, Dec 28, 2007
  12. Victek

    Victek Guest

    Buy from "http://sterlingtek.com"

    FYI, sterlingtek.com does not appear to carry the CGA-S002 (or CGA-S002A)
    battery.

    Victek, Dec 28, 2007
  13. Dozens of reputable places in the UK have it at around $15 - is it not the
    same in the USA? Or is that battery getting phased out?

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 29, 2007