    is WOW! I am impressed as all hell at the quality. I believe the
    phrase is, "it knocked my socks off." And it seemed to dry pretty
    quickly, too.

    Voinin, Jun 6, 2006

  2. cmashieldscapting

    Gary Tait Guest

    Exactly. Their interest is not getting sued by the CD printing licensors.

    Gary Tait, Jun 6, 2006

  3. cmashieldscapting

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Yes, generally speaking I could not argue with that if one does limited
    printing. Each of my three CD/DVD printers (Epson 210 and 310, and
    Canon IP3000) uses roughly a set of tanks per fortnight. Speaking
    comparative prices the R310 costs about twice the price of one set of
    genuine Epson tanks. I can buy four sets of after market tanks for the
    price of one genuine set of tanks, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist
    to work out with the volume of printing I do, the after market tanks
    more than pay for themselves, including replacement of the printer if
    necessary.

    My Canon has lasted well over two years so far, the 210 was bought in
    October last year, and the 310 in January this year. All show no signs
    of head clogging so far, and no extra cleaning has been necessary.

    Life of prints? No difference has been noted so far between genuine
    inks and after market.

    Oldus Fartus, Jun 6, 2006
  4. cmashieldscapting

    measekite Guest

    snip for brevity
    snip not relevant

    Thank you, that is EXACTLY the information I needed!
    this is part of what i have been tyring to say. aftermarket ink causes
    all sorts of problem since you cannot depend on it from batch to batch
    and you never know what you are getting because the relabeler will not
    disclose. beware that therer are many relabelers and their employees
    lurking on this ng touting the undisclosed stuff. they try to make
    beleive they are just regualar users. this also invade other websites
    that are not ngs

    measekite, Jun 6, 2006
  5. cmashieldscapting

    measekite Guest

    the cheapest and best way is to spend about $80.00 for an epson r220
    (comes with a full set 6 carts of epson oem ink) and is dedicated to
    print cds and works well for that purpose. the advantages are the
    printer really has a net cost of about $20.00 after you discount the oem
    ink and you do not have to spend money buying a tray from dap pay pal
    folds and screw around with your labor. besides you have a new printer
    and you do not have to mess yours up.

    snip

    measekite, Jun 6, 2006
  6. cmashieldscapting

    zakezuke Guest

    Well... I can't honestly say this will happen to you, this did happen
    to me. I do have to further update this and say canon is replacing the
    heads in both my printers. My mp760 would seem to also be experencing
    banding. I don't have an accurate service report at this moment, but
    Canon as pointed out by others in this group does honor the warranty
    beyond the warranty period, in my case 4 days. I'd "guess" 500 discs
    were also printed on my mp760, and the mp760 uses OEM ink only.

    So the net added cost per disc thus far for me is zero, but as CD
    printing is rougher on heads, a head replacement is to be expected
    sooner than usual. This is fair to say.

    I will also say I have officaly abanonded the ip3000, this printer I
    bought new for $65 in favor of the ip5200, and it's still prinitng
    discs, and will do so on a new head.
    While I am a big fan of the photos on the rx500, i'm not a big fan of
    this printer as as a general purpose printer. Great for photos, pretty
    top notch for photos.

    Happy to help... if epson reolved some key design issues, i.e. better
    waste ink station, even with the waste ink being massive I would buy
    it. The r800 is still "very" much worth looking at. The r200 is
    cheap enough that buying two is no big deal and if it needs a service
    call you can always print. The r220 the same deal.

    zakezuke, Jun 6, 2006
  7. cmashieldscapting

    zakezuke Guest

    Actually the banding i'm experancing on my mp760 with OEM ink is worse.
    I've had less issues on my ip3000 with aftermarket ink, but this is
    likely to do with the fact that I used it more.

    I find I can depend on aftermarket bulk ink more than OEM because I buy
    enough to last a year. Same batch, same results. But I will never say
    that OEM isn't going to be better, I did stock one printer with OEM and
    the other with aftermarket.

    zakezuke, Jun 6, 2006
  8. cmashieldscapting

    zakezuke Guest

    The Epson r2x0/r3x0 series depends on an ink waste station for proper
    operation. It's a little system that has a pad, a rubber wiper, and is
    on a sort of plastic dowel and grove system that causes when forced to
    the far end by the head rises up to make contact with the head. The
    head, when not in use, sits on a white gasket which is only connected
    to the waste station by a hook on one side. If for example this waste
    station were to get knocked out of place, the head would be exposed to
    air and will clog, this device with a rubber wiper that smacks against
    the head every stroke, and this pad which is hend on by nothing more
    than a hook, this pad which will get ink soiled, has to be ink soiled
    to make a proper seal. On top of this, the main head shaft rises to
    accomidate thick media such as the CD tray which is there and abouts of
    0.1 inches high. This waste station is mobile and does lock into place
    via a lever which will fall back into place when the head smacks into
    the arm. On top of this, the r200 at the very least has no frame what
    so ever. The thing is assembled on a jig, and is held together simply
    by the plastic shell.

    The Canon is using a thermal printhead. They do have a limited life,
    officaly I think it's limit is about 10 cartridge changes but most
    users say "20" cartridge changes before they consider another head.
    Thermal is a more simple system than micropiezo, it uses no moving
    parts, has a shorter nozzle length, and any clog that might happen is
    likely to be cleared by the action of cleaning as the force of steam is
    rather powerful, vs something that depends in part to gravity to drop.
    Now i'd lean tward micropiezo in terms of life, these things typicaly
    don't have to be replaced. The problem is a clog is a much more
    serious matter and in fact the cleaning cycle is nothing less than a
    hydro pump.

    I'm not saying the canon doesn't waste ink, it sure does. If you don't
    use the printer for 96 to 120 hours, it will auto clean using .14g of
    black, 1/2 a gram of color. If you don't use your printer for more
    than 1 year hours it will use 1.5g of black, and 1gram of color. This
    info is in the ip4000 service manual, and the newer printers may be
    different. I can't say how many grams the epson uses in terms of waste
    ink, but having an external inktank I measured my waste ink in terms of
    ounces. The canon design isn't the most efficent out there, but the
    Epson is far worse.

    So you asked in what way I found the Canons to be more reliable. Using
    very old thermal printheads, while a disadvantage in terms of choices
    in ink and prone to burn out eventually don't depend on a complex
    cleaning station which is actuated by the smacking of the printhead
    against it.

    zakezuke, Jun 6, 2006
  9. Glad to hear from a happy customer, especially if you got the CD tray
    from the link I posted. Did you? If not, where did you get it, as I
    plan to do the same soon? Thanks.

    Cori

    cmashieldscapting, Jun 6, 2006
  10. cmashieldscapting

    zakezuke Guest

    I'm calling 536 my final limit without issues. This represents 6
    ounces of magenta, or aproximatly 13 cartridge changes. I "think" I
    blew a head gasket somewhere between the printer sitting for two to
    three weeks and doing deep cleans to resolve minor banding in the big
    black, which oddly enough wasn't used. Print #537 had a dash of yellow
    on it. Could be my home made trade, could have been my wiper was
    saturated with yellow ink, too many boarderless prints, it's hard to
    say. But on a printer that I paid $65 on, and canon is sending a free
    replacement head out of warranty by a few days... and given my volume
    it's not such a bad deal.

    The stock canon software is not all that great. No unicode support
    what so ever and the max diameter of only 118mm. Acoustica CD/DVD
    label maker ($22ish) or Discus 3.1 ($39ish) are highly reccomended.
    Surething is OK, but doesn't support canons directly the last time I
    checked, and not officaly. Nero if you have it will likely do the
    trick but I've always found it cumbersome. I use Acoustica, it offers
    nice spiffy hub hugging tracks.

    zakezuke, Jun 6, 2006
  11. cmashieldscapting

    Gary Tait Guest

    Not if you

    A: already have a printer with inherent CD printing capabilities, in
    which case there is a one-time expenditure of $50 (very most) or less
    for the tray and maybe roller. You can print for free if you are willing
    to do without the roller, and can fabricate a tray yourself.

    B: add in the long term cost of having to buy ink for that printer
    also (especially OEM ink).

    Gary Tait, Jun 7, 2006
  12. cmashieldscapting

    zakezuke Guest

    The pixma ip4200/5200/6600D/mp500/800/830/900/950 come wth rollers.

    Assuming you can get the ip4200 for $80, I would have to agree the
    epson r2x0 out of the box costs less when talking into account a $20 to
    $30 tray from e-bay, and the fact that the epson clearance center
    offers R200s for $59 (presently out of stock) and r220s for $71 with
    free shipping (in stock).

    I don't honestly know how many CDs I got on my r200, but it was NOT
    836. So long as you buy a tray, and offical tray, there is no real
    risk to the canon, though CD printing is likely to be harder on your
    head. It's designed to print on CDs.

    zakezuke, Jun 7, 2006
  13. cmashieldscapting

    measekite Guest

    there are many kinds of sense and this is non sense

    measekite, Jun 8, 2006