    looking for legit advice and using it to spread lies.

    I printed 536 cds on my ip3000... I know this because I printed a
    service report.

    zakezuke, Jun 4, 2006

  2. cmashieldscapting

    measekite Guest

    i think hp and epson have every right to protect their patents from
    sleezeballs

    canon finally did something about that. while i do not like having to
    pay more for a chip they did have that right. i wish that a reputable
    mfg/formulator would make and label and sell under all venues including
    on line a high quality prefilled cart that could be tracked, tested,
    reviewd and would sell for about $5.00 or less per cart. that might
    drive down the oem price to about $6.00 or $7.00 and give users a real
    choice.

    measekite, Jun 4, 2006

  3. cmashieldscapting

    measekite Guest

    over the past 2 years that is less than 2 a day. not a big problem.

    measekite, Jun 4, 2006
  4. Well, obviously if I were doing 1,000 of something it would easily be
    worth $1,000.00 or more not to have to handle each one individually.
    In my case by "best" I meant "best results for least amount of
    expenditure."

    Cori

    cmashieldscapting, Jun 4, 2006
  5. Looks like this guy
    http://reviews.ebay.com/Guide-to-Ca...0000013038?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:LISTINGS:4
    is selling them and saying for God's sake don't tell Canon if you use
    them.

    I'm about sold on the Canon. I don't like the idea of "expensive ink,
    slops all over the place, then won't work until after complicated
    cleaning" with the Epson, plus I already have an Epson I'm half afraid
    to use because of the cost of the ink and how quickly it goes through
    it.

    Cori

    cmashieldscapting, Jun 4, 2006
  6. cmashieldscapting

    zakezuke Guest

    Wed, Feb 23 2005 11:42 am you said "If you absolutely need CD Printing
    in the U.S. the only choice is Epson. However, my friend bought an
    Epson for that reason and prints a
    lot of CDs. He is now on his third machine because there is a problem
    with the feed mechanism. "
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...&q=friend+epson&rnum=3&hl=en#7406e957af028ff4

    zakezuke, Jun 4, 2006
  7. cmashieldscapting

    Mark² Guest

    That wasn't in your original post when I answered.
    :)

    Mark², Jun 4, 2006
  8. cmashieldscapting

    Mark² Guest

    BTW... What Epson are you talking about?
    If you're talking about the lowly R300, then I very much doubt that you'll
    get 1000 CDs--unless you have very little printed on them. I have the Epson
    R300, and used it for CDs before I had the Rimage. While it did a pretty
    decent job, the color vibrance wasn't anything even close to the Rimage, and
    the tray mechanism was problematic. --Any time you try to print the first
    disc, the tray flies all the way through, then moves all over the place. -I
    would have to just assume this...cancel the first print...then start over,
    at which point it would work. But it did this EVERY SINGLE TIME I would
    start a new job. -What a pain.

    I am an Epson fan, but not for CD/DVD printing mechanisms.
    When you reported getting 1000+, I assumed you were talking about some
    larger printer. If you're talking about something similar to the R300, then
    I highly doubt you'd get that many through it on one set of carts.

    -Mark²

    Mark², Jun 4, 2006
  9. cmashieldscapting

    zakezuke Guest

    Canon is perfectly aware of this. They have taken the time to ask
    companies like "parts now" to not sell the tray, and oddly enough they
    were selling the tray them selves for a very short time in December. I
    believe Canon's issue is they don't want to shell out for Phillips'
    patent fee, but if people are buying their printers to use a feature
    they don't have to pay extra to provide, I imagine they are quite
    happy. http://pixma.allhyper.com/

    The r200 should be little different than your rx620.

    You have a few choices as far as Canon goes. I was going to bring up
    the ip6000, their 6 tank model, but it looks like it's totally off the
    market.

    ip8500 - This is last years model, fetches between $300 and $400. 8
    tanks and of those 8 tanks you can replace Cyan, Magenta, and yellow at
    $9.60 if you buy the 3 pack, as in a Cyan Magenta Yellow pack. 3 packs
    of the other colors, which are Black, Green, Red, light cyan and
    magenta are $32 per 3 pack, as in one of the same color. If you buy
    them elsewhere expect $12 to $12.50 each. This is a top notch photo
    printer, just not currently in production, so you have to buy one off
    one of the seedy resellers on froogle.com.

    ip6600 - 6 tanks. Very good photo printer, but takes the newer inks
    which cost $14ish each, and uses light cyan/magenta like candy.
    Fetches about $200ish. Fancy screen, cardslots.

    ip5200/4200 $130ish for the ip5200, $80ish to $100 for the ip5200. The
    big black costs about $17, and the rest cost about $14 each, so a given
    refill will cost you $73 or so. I'm just getting into mine and i'm
    very very very impressed. In contrast to my mp760 I notice far less
    grain, esp when it comes to rendering skys.

    zakezuke, Jun 4, 2006
  10. cmashieldscapting

    Brian Guest

    If you buy Epson ink then yes, it's overpriced. I buy ink tanks from Supermedia Center for < $30.00
    for 2 of each color for my R220. That's 12 ink tanks. It's C&G or G&G brand, everyone sells this
    brand. I've been using it for several years now on my former Canon 6000 (died) without problems.
    I hope I have as good luck with my R220.

    Brian..........

    Kill filters - The Enema Of The Usenet !!!!!

    Brian, Jun 5, 2006
  11. cmashieldscapting

    measekite Guest

    but you at least know what you are getting, the quality and results are
    consistent, the risk of clogging an expensive printhead are less, and
    you do not have to support fly by night relabelers who will not disclose
    what they are selling you.
    these are not brands. they are generic relabelers

    measekite, Jun 5, 2006
  12. cmashieldscapting

    Gary Tait Guest

    Canon won't say, as it is in their interst not to.

    See:
    http://pixma.webpal.info/Pixma345/345.html

    and
    http://pixma-faq.periastron.com/index.html

    You basically:

    Obtain or fabricate CD tray.

    Remove inner cover lid (optionally replace with roller piece)

    Adjust printer service menu for a location that uses Letter paper and CD
    printing.

    Adjust registry for CD printing, or install european driver.

    Install CD printing app.

    Gary Tait, Jun 5, 2006
  13. cmashieldscapting

    Gary Tait Guest

    For the benefit of cmashields:

    zakerzuke does know what he is speaking of, he is a real user.

    Yes, Canon is better at not wasting ink with cleaning cycles.
    OEM vs aftermarket ink has nothing to do with it, as good aftermarket ink
    is just about as good as OEM.

    Gary Tait, Jun 5, 2006
  14. cmashieldscapting

    Gary Tait Guest

    In a production line, true, but over time,it might not be as bad, if you do
    a couple a day or so.

    Gary Tait, Jun 5, 2006
  15. cmashieldscapting

    measekite Guest

    ridiculuous. canon has no interest not to say. they just do not
    support that in NA because of patent infringements.

    measekite, Jun 5, 2006
  16. cmashieldscapting

    measekite Guest

    snipe due to rwequist
    when using oem ink
    snip due to brevity

    measekite, Jun 5, 2006
  17. Thanks for backing him up and reassuring me on this as I am just about
    to take his advice, purchase a Canon Pixma ip5200, buy a tray
    separately, and follow the instructions to install it. I do have one
    more question which I will post shortly.

    Cori

    cmashieldscapting, Jun 5, 2006
  18. When I checked Amazon.com regarding the Canon PIXMA iP5200 Photo
    Printer, information at the bottom of the page said that of people
    viewing this item, 13% ultimately buy the Canon PIXMA iP6600D Photo
    Printer while only 9% buy the Canon PIXMA iP5200 Photo Printer.

    Why is the purchase number higher for the Canon PIXMA iP6600D than for
    the Canon PIXMA iP5200, and will the ip6600D do any better, worse, or
    the same, for the main purpose I want of producing nice copies of
    printable disks? Thanks.

    Cori

    cmashieldscapting, Jun 5, 2006
  19. cmashieldscapting

    zakezuke Guest

    Firstly, after 536 discs I just started to notice light banding on the
    black on my ip3000. 536 is the offical number from the service report,
    not some estimate. This started after the printer sat for 3 weeks, and
    this was using aftermarket ink. I have the ip5200 now so i'm not
    worried at all about the ip3000, but thought i'd share an accurate
    history. Oddly enough the issue won't affect disc printing, just plain
    text printing, but I can say with all accuracy that i'm considering a
    new head after 536 discs, and these run $60 to $80. Disc printing is
    rougher on heads, and assuming my numbers that's an extra 15cent/disc.
    Heads are covered under the year warranty. You may not experence this
    issue, and this was with aftermarket ink.

    The ip6600 will use more ink, it has light cyan and light magenta which
    it uses to fill the white spaces. The reult will be smoother skies,
    smoother skintones, what you would expect by having the white between
    the dots filled with a lighter color. But it will use these like
    candy. But it's not the better general purpose printer, it has no
    pigmented black tank for text. If you plan to print any text documents
    at all, expect them to not look at good, and cost more per page.

    The ip5200 is the general purpose printer. It does a fab job with only
    4 tanks, while having 5 one black is used for plain paper. It's
    bigger, pigmented, and the output is top notch, good enough for
    barcodes. The last time I did the math I believe it's about
    3.2cents/page, vs the older generation which was 2.5cents/page.

    The ip4200 is a cheaper version of the ip5200, with basicly less
    nozzles and weighs less.

    All these printers take tray type C which can be had on e-bay, though I
    am using and others are using tray type B. The difference is the
    thickness, that's about it.

    zakezuke, Jun 5, 2006
  20. Well, that's exactly the sort of thing I need to know. Hidden costs
    and false economies.
    Thank you, that is EXACTLY the information I needed! YES, I AM looking
    for a general purpose printer to back up or even phase out my Epson
    Stylus Photo RX500 should it ever become not quite "the thing," not
    just a specialty printer to do one thing. There should be choices but
    in a case like this there are so many it's mindboggling and I need some
    solid reasons to choose one over another.
    Forewarned is forearmed, I now have a good idea what to get, where to
    get it, and what to do with it! You've been a lifesaver! THANK YOU
    EVER SO!

    Cori

    cmashieldscapting, Jun 5, 2006