  1. That's why I am setting f-u to c.p.p. and hope it can reside peacefully
    here and not have to populate the other groups.

    He has no experence above and beyond his Canon

    John McWilliams, Jun 2, 2006

  2. Are the Canons enough better than the Epsons to justify any extra
    trouble and expense in modifying them to print disks?

    Cori

    cmashieldscapting, Jun 3, 2006

  3. cmashieldscapting

    zakezuke Guest

    In terms of hard core photo quality... I lean tward epson, though I
    have not had a chance to test my new ip5200 side by side with my r200.
    I still need to get ink for it. The last time I saw the ip8500 vs the
    epson r800, i'd have to lean tward the epson in terms of hard core
    photo quality, though it's pretty much a coin toss between the two
    depending on the image.

    The 8 tank ip8500 is not currently in production and can only be had on
    closeout for between $300ish to $400ish, in the same ball park as a new
    r800 but not a referbished one.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/canon_ip5200_pg4.html
    "The iP5200 is another of Canon's 5-color printers that leaves me
    wondering why I own and use the 8-color i9900. When I see just how good
    the photo prints look when using only the three primary colors (cyan,
    magenta and yellow), I don't know why I need those other ink colors, or
    the added expense. With the 1-picoliter size ink droplets the prints
    are virtually grainless. I can only visually see imperfections after
    scanning a print at 600dpi and then zooming in really close. Holding a
    4×6" print in my hand and getting it as close as possible, I can see
    nothing to complain about at all. For the average to the hypercritical
    user I am sure that this printer will satisfy your photo printing as
    well as your everyday printing needs. The color is simply brilliant,
    the prints last and you'll certainly not be waiting for this printer to
    do its job." --Steves Digicams

    I do consider Canon, the ip4200/ip5200 to be a more reliable product,
    this is based on my past experence with the r200 vs the ip3000 and
    mp760. But I do consider epson to have the better photo printer, and
    for print longevity it's no contest, it's the r800. Do consider canon
    if you want a good general purpose printer that also does text very
    well and CDs, if you are willing to get the tray and muck with the
    buttons.

    zakezuke, Jun 3, 2006
  4. cmashieldscapting

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    That would depend on what it is going to cost you to convert the Canon
    to be able to print discs.

    With the Pixma IP3000 the print quality is marginally below that of the
    Epson, but this is probably more to do with the extra colour tanks on
    the Epson. Regardless of that, print quality is still excellent,
    either with the genuine or after-market inks. I find the Canon
    software to be better, and the disc tray is of a better quality.

    The one area I believe the Canon has a lead over the Epson, is with the
    better paper handling. As well as the normal top feed, there is a
    magazine built into the bottom of the printer, so two different types of
    paper can be loaded simultaneously. Duplex printing is supported out of
    the box. (Print one side of the paper, suck it back in, and print the
    other side automagically.)

    Oldus Fartus, Jun 3, 2006
  5. cmashieldscapting

    Voinin Guest

    How would you modify the printer to print discs? I have the IP3000 and
    if it's possible, I'd like to know. Looking at Canon's site, I don't
    see anything, but I may not be looking in the right place.

    Voinin, Jun 3, 2006
  6. cmashieldscapting

    zakezuke Guest

    Try http://www.canon-europe.com/ http://www.canon.com.au/ or
    http://www.canon.com.hk

    Rather than quote the details, i'll just link you to this site.
    http://pixma.allhyper.com/

    You know that door that says "canon" on it, that one that opens to
    nothing, that's for the CD tray. $20 to $30 on e-bay, a few button
    presses, software download, cd printing on the pixmas. I am an ip3000
    user i've printed 536 cds on it using a combo of a hacked epson tray,
    canon's offical tray type B, as well as a few cardboard jobbies I made
    most recently for those too lazy to order from e-bay.

    zakezuke, Jun 3, 2006
  7. I'd have to be sure it was worth the extra bother. In what ways are
    the Canons more reliable? Thanks.

    Cori

    cmashieldscapting, Jun 3, 2006
  8. cmashieldscapting

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Have a look at http://pixma.allhyper.com/

    Oldus Fartus, Jun 3, 2006
  9. cmashieldscapting

    measekite Guest

    he does not really know. i like canon better than epson and the canon
    uses less ink and does less cleaning cycles if any when using oem ink.
    but my friend has an epson r300 and it seems that the rxx series epsons
    (even though they are ink guzzlers) has been very reliable. my hp has
    also been very reliable.

    of course reliability comes at a price. the price of using only oem ink.

    measekite, Jun 3, 2006
  10. cmashieldscapting

    measekite Guest

    the ip4000 photo quality is more than maginally better than the epson
    and the business print quality is much better. that has to do with the
    extra black for photo quality.
    if printing of discs is that important then you can buy an rpson
    r200/r2xx on sale for a few bucks more than a set of carts and just
    dedicate it to that use.

    measekite, Jun 3, 2006
  11. cmashieldscapting

    zakezuke Guest

    My offical CD count is on the ip3000 536, full color, there and abouts
    of 4oz of ink. I'm still printing. My printer required manual deep
    cleaning once. This is using MIS aftermarket ink.

    The Epson r200, granted I was using aftermarket ink, was one sloppy
    beast. Ink would get on the rollers, and ink would collect on the
    waste station wiper and slop ink everywhere, eventualy to what I
    believe to be an aligment sensor which caused the printer to stop
    printing.

    zakezuke, Jun 3, 2006
  12. cmashieldscapting

    Roger Guest

    I have a 320 which has worked well on "printable" CDs and DVDs. Not
    worth a darn on regular CDs and DVDs.

    Quality of the printing is good, drys to safe handeling in about 10
    minutes.

    Only drawback I can see is the ink is *expensive*. It's miserly on ink
    but a set of 6 of those little cartridges will run between $80 and $90
    USD unless you find them on sale.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger, Jun 4, 2006
  13. cmashieldscapting

    Mark² Guest

    I wouldn't expect any printer to fare well on non-printable discs though...
    There is a reason why discs are made with special printable surfaces.
    Mine is immediately dry enough to handle...right out of the printer...which
    is important, since my printer is a part of a robotic printing/burning
    system, and the next disc is quickly placed on the previously printed disc.
    A very slick system. I can set it up and leave... When I return, there are
    100 full, edge-to-edge DVDs...all burned and beautifully printed. :)
    The 480i uses a simple black and a tri-color cartridge made by HP.
    It isn't cheap per cartridge, but you can print a TON between cartidge
    swaps.
    -I've actually been quite amazed at the numbers, including full coverage
    graphics.

    -Mark²

    Mark², Jun 4, 2006
  14. cmashieldscapting

    John H. Guest

    the 480i is a little expensive at $ 1149.00 on sale

    John H., Jun 4, 2006
  15. cmashieldscapting

    Mark² Guest

    That is a bit steep... I likely wouldn't pay that, though as a part of the
    Rimage 2000i, it is a great system.
    He said he wanted to know the best inkjet CD/DVD printer...
    -So there ya go.
    The "best" is rarely cheap.

    Mark², Jun 4, 2006
  16. cmashieldscapting

    measekite Guest

    Lookat the Rxx series Epson using Epson ink. I know someone who printed
    over a 1,000 CD's with it and it is still going. He did have some
    trouble with the tray but that is a known problem.

    measekite, Jun 4, 2006
  17. cmashieldscapting

    Mark² Guest

    I already own the 2000i (which has the 480i built into it), so I'm not in
    the market.
    -But depending on coverage, I can get between 400 and 1400 discs from one
    set of cartridges on the Rimage...so your numbers on the Epson--while
    excellent--aren't unheard of.

    Mark², Jun 4, 2006
  18. cmashieldscapting

    Mark² Guest

    PS...
    I would hate to have to manually load 1000 CDs under ANY circumstances!
    :)
    The beauty of the Rimage 2000i is the robotic, unattended aspect.

    Mark², Jun 4, 2006
  19. www.megatoners.com

    I have ordered from them for ink for my epson R800. I ordered two sets of
    cartridges, it cost me 50 dollars appriximately. They are OEM type of
    cartridges, about 2.99 a peace. I received my order in less than seven
    business days.

    They might get shut down however, unless all of us band together and make
    sure Epson, HP and all the rest don't keep wining court cases allowing them
    to be shut down. Every other thing on this planet I think has compation,
    well the oil companies don't, the printer ink dudes should have lots of it.

    Old Man River

    Old Man River, Jun 4, 2006
  20. cmashieldscapting

    Voinin Guest

    That's what I like about Canon 3 and 6 series ink cartridges. There are
    no electronics. They're just two-chambered clear plastic cartridges.
    You can even refill them with without worrying that the cartridge will
    still claim to be empty since the printer detects the ink level optically.

    Voinin, Jun 4, 2006