Best High-end non-slr for low light action pics

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mel, Nov 21, 2009.

  1. Mel

    Mel Guest

    I have three Grandaughters in competitive cheerleading -- the worst
    possible situation for good pics. I am often 100' away from the
    action, the lighting is at best average, and the action is fast.

    I have to use at least 1/250 to stop the action, but then the low
    light and distance makes thing really hard to get crisp pics, even
    with the ISO cranked way up, and "noise ninja" used afterwards.

    I have been using a Nikon D300 DSLR with a big lens that works pretty
    well, but it weighs a ton, and at some of the events, the officials
    won't let spectators bring in equipment that looks like professional
    stuff.

    So, I am hoping some of you might have some suggestions on the new
    crop of "bridge" cameras,.. meaning non-slrs that have a great zoom
    AND low-light capability,... the cameras that rival DSLRs in
    capability.

    Thanks for any info,

    mel

    Mel, Nov 21, 2009

  2. Mel

    ransley Guest

    Leica M9

    ransley, Nov 21, 2009

  3. Mel

    Rich Guest

    They won't bother with a D3000 and a small zoom, use one of them.
    P&S's are useless for anything indoors unless you can use the flash.

    Rich, Nov 21, 2009
  4. Mel

    Mel Guest

    Yeah,.. maybe I can hock one of the Grandaughters to put a down
    payment on the Leica. It sure does look like a capable camera, though.

    Mel, Nov 21, 2009
  5. Mel

    ransley Guest

    Panasonic GF1 and Olympus EP 1, dpreview has indepth reviews of both.

    ransley, Nov 21, 2009
  6. Mel

    Charlie Groh Guest

    ....I use a D300 with battery pack and an 80-200 f2.8 shooting marching
    bands under the lights at football fields, and indoor Winterguards
    (flags and such and dance, etc.) in gyms locally...it's pretty
    freakin' heavy, but I stay in shape. I get great results hand-held,
    but it took alot of practice...I don't use a mono 'cause I want the
    low angles. You need to get in touch with the people in charge
    beforehand...usually all you need to do is ask, but in some cases a
    pro outfit may have rights contracturally, in that case get in touch
    with *them* and state your intentions, it should work out...I can't
    imagine using a P&S for this kind of work, but there *may* be one...

    cg

    Charlie Groh, Nov 23, 2009
  7. Mel

    ransley Guest

    A superzoom P&S might work, best would be borrow one or see what
    others have luck with. dpreview has good reviews covering most
    aspects.

    ransley, Nov 23, 2009