    monomaniac1 Guest

    Which is best? I see many brands, Nvidea, ATI, etc. Please advise on
    what would be the best, especially with Vista!

    monomaniac1, Mar 13, 2007

  2. monomaniac1

    grappletech Guest

    go to newegg.com and use their database to narrow down the video cards to
    your criteria--like "pci-express", "256mb", etc., then read the customer
    reviews. Whatever brand gets a higher percentage of 4 or 5's on the rating
    scale would be the best. Or if raw performance is what you are interested
    in, I think Nvidia usually out performs the others, at least they did a few
    years ago. go to google and google "video card shootout".

    grappletech, Mar 13, 2007

  3. monomaniac1

    gowanoh Guest

    The Nvidia 8800 goes for around $600. It is the fastest video card
    available, supposedly will work with Direct X 10 in Vista (Direct X 10 deos
    not yet exist).

    gowanoh, Mar 13, 2007
  4. monomaniac1

    grappletech Guest

    I just bought a circa 2002 Nvidia GeForce MX 64MB card for the wife's PC
    for nine bucks off ebay. 9 bucks. It sure is a HUGE improvement over the
    crappy 16mb onboard video she was using. And it plays the games that are 3
    or 4 years old just fine. See, if you're 5 years behind in technology,
    you'll save TONS of money. :)

    grappletech, Mar 14, 2007
  5. monomaniac1

    babaloo Guest

    And if you want the ultimate in video processing get two NVidia 8800s in SLI
    configuration. $1200
    However in order to obtain the ultimate -you can not acutally see the
    improvement unless you have a computerized implant in your occipital lobes
    which, like Direct X 10 does not exist (the implant, not your occipital
    lobes)--you need a few more extras.
    Like the fastest Intel Dual core (better quad core) extreme processor:
    another $1200-$1500. If you can find one.
    At least an 800 watt power supply: $200-$300
    Liquid cooling for the CPU and video cards $300-$500
    The ultimate Asus Motherboard $300
    4 gbs of adujstable RAM $600
    To feed data off the hard drive think two 10,000 rpm Raptors in Raid
    Configuration: $400
    Semi-custom machines of this ilk are available for around $7000.
    Get the picture?
    However if you just want to play games the PS3 or X-box, while not
    technically equivalent, are alot cheaper and look just as good . . .

    babaloo, Mar 14, 2007
  6. monomaniac1

    grappletech Guest

    However if you just want to play games the PS3 or X-box, while not

    I've played games on an Xbox and games on a PC, and the games on the Xbox
    seem to have better graphics, playability, more fun, etc.. Game machines
    are dedicated to one thing -- gaming, and it shows.

    grappletech, Mar 14, 2007